Polk SRT additional channels and/or Atmos???

Hey Guys, anybody with an SRT system go to an Atmos setup with it? Just wondering, not a lot of room on top of the satellites, but in-ceiling or side(might) would work....its just a thought, or do i NOT mess with a Classic. And if anyone has, what brand speakers did you go with???? P.S. My wife does NOT know i'm even thinking about this,lol.

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I don’t have an SRT system, so I don’t have an idea of the sound, but if it’s similar to the LSi series, Polk did make a line of in wall and in ceiling speakers voiced for that series, so those may work, you’ll just have to find them. DefTech also makes some nice in-ceiling speakers. Otherwise, I dont know.
    My $0.02
    Micah
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I don’t have an SRT system, so I don’t have an idea of the sound, but if it’s similar to the LSi series, Polk did make a line of in wall and in ceiling speakers voiced for that series, so those may work, you’ll just have to find them. DefTech also makes some nice in-ceiling speakers. Otherwise, I dont know.
    My $0.02
    Micah

I wouldn't fret too much on surrounds being voiced and you can closer associate the SRT system to the RT series of speakers in terms of tweeters. To the OP you really don't have a lot of room at all do you haha! I can't really comment as I haven't done Atmos in general but ceiling or some mounted SVS elevation surrounds might do a decent job. Sorry I can't offer more.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • katomklysm
    katomklysm Posts: 34
    Good stuff guys, yeah I figured that was the response I was going to get.....i got a couple of older B and W Rock Solids that are pretty good and they are extremely directional, maybe I'll play around with those before I decide to spend, overheads would be killer, I'm sure......Thanks!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2018
    Having experienced the full SRT system multiple times you shouldn't need any additional speakers.

Looking at your pic, the speakers should not be toed in. If you are driving them with only the Pioneer AVR you're not getting even close to what those speakers are capable of.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    They make numerous Atmos speakers and I wouldn't worry too much about voice matching. Looks like you have limited space on top of the speakers so choose one wisely. Def tech would probably sound close.

I'll also second putting an amp to those SRT's, being a former owner myself....and nix the toe in too as already stated.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2018
    Having just recently seen the movie Skyscraper in ATMOS / IMAX theater, I agree with all of the suggestions. Maximizing 5.1 should be the first step. Getting a beastly amp would be the best start towards a stout ATMOS system.

Something like this 7 ch x 300W monster:http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7900.html

Or the cool new ATI Hypex N-Core Class D amps: http://www.ati-amp.com/AT52XNC.php

Then, see if you can get four speakers in the ceiling. Shoot for a robust 6.5" or 8" that has good output.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • katomklysm
    I knew this was coming, about the power, the Pio is a class D Continuous Power Output (1 kHz, 4 Ω, 1.0%) 255 W per channel, runs super cool, app sound customization is a awesome with so many different music sources nowadays,and easily shakes the house if i need it to, my uncle lost a good part of his hearing from these and warned me when he gave them to me, will I add an external ? Maybe, certainly can't justify $3500 to the wife, I was lucky to get the Pio for $1600, toe in is gone I was prolly working behind there when that pic was taken....well, Thanks for all the input
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2018
    I own a TOTL real Pioneer Elite AVR and while an excellent AVR, it cannot do justice to the SRT system.

FYI, the specs you quoted....1.0% THD is extremely audible. The AVR is on the verge of clipping at that point, so the 255wpc rating is worthless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• katomklysm
    I understand, I think I said 3500 is not happening and I was lucky to get the Pio with my wife's blessings, I guess I will have to deal will all that distortion for now. Jaws still hit the floor though when I throw in my Pacific Rim 4k.
  • I'm replying to a 1.5yr old post here. When I moved couple years ago, I installed 5 x in-ceiling RC80i's for a 5.2 setup with 2 x PSW1200's. Coming from floor standing speakers, I was utterly disappointed with the artificial "voice of God" effect even with the aimable tweeters. So I picked up the SRT from an estate sale and use it in conjunction with the ceiling speakers for Atmos. I figure RC is the ceiling equivalent of RT-series and similar enough with SRT drivers. Not that I have any other setup to compare against, but it sounds good to me.