What music would you recommend for me?

So I thought I was perfectly happy with the music I have now. Pretty much just a lot of classic rock and roll. Led Zeppelin, Beatles, CCR, etc.
This morning I was in the car with my father, who played Pink Floyd “Dark Side Of The Moon”. I knew who Pink Floyd was, that he was talented, etc. but I’d never actually sat down and listened to him.
Needless to say, I’m gonna try and find Dark Side Of The Moon on vinyl. But my question is, what other bands would you recommend to me? I’m not sick of my music yet, but I know that days coming. And if you guys have any suggestions, that would be awesome.
Thanks!
Micah

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited July 2018
    Just to clarify, Pink Floyd is a group and not an individual. Roger Waters and David Gilmore are the 2 more prominent members, each aslo have solo works out there that you should listen to.

As for music that I'd recommend: start with the roots of what you know now. Jazz, blues, and early Motown. I'd start with Billie Holiday and Muddy Waters. And the Temptations have a broad spectrum of style available for the Motown sector.

If you want to stay within the rock genre, that's a rabbit hole unto itself.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2018
    If you don't have a copy of Who's Next, you probably should.

:)

It doesn't even have any bad words in the lyrics, although the cover's a bit subversive.

3whbfmtky3ak.png

It's been overplayed to death thanks (initially) to Album Oriented Rock (AOR) radio -- but I still think it is the best rock album ever.

You might want to try some Little Feat, too. Waiting for Columbus, their live album, is superb.

Aww, heck -- as long as I am at it, you should try some Richard Thompson. :)

Here listen to this:

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg

One of the finest rock/folk guitarists ever - and he's still barely known by the rock music masses.
  • mhardy6647
    oh, oh, oh.

Crack the Sky's eponymous debut album.
    The best rock album by a band you've never heard of. :)

3ee1246qmk6v.png
  • mhardy6647
    Oh, don't skip over Wish You Were Here if you want to taste Pink Floyd.
    Dark Side of the Moon is OK and sounds good, but so, so overplayed.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    And here I thought, Crack The Sky, was my secret. Should have known Hardy was a fan.

x3 on Who's Next, a brilliant album.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    Crack the Sky is no secret to anyone who was of a certain age in the Baltimore area ca. mid-1970s. :)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Anything by Cannibal Corpse.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    Oh, sorry , I need to stop... but one other thought for now.
    Black Crowes' Shake Your Money Maker is just tonnes of stupid, loud fun.

... plus it's got She Talks to Angels [EDIT: not "Angles"!] which is almost the antithesis of the rest of the album.

Great stuff.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    As an aside: Pink Floyd wasn't a he, although they were, famously, named after two old blues musicians.

If you really want to see where the whole Pink Floyd thing began, sample a taste or two of Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Gingerly. ;)

https://youtu.be/FPMXt9Me_Fo

An early PF single, a little less bizarre... but still bizarre enough.

https://youtu.be/PFEU_BQL6dc

Note that I have, so far, stopped short of recommending the Grateful Dead. :p
    Ya gotta crawl before you walk.

B)

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Crack the Sky is marvelous, says the guy transplanted to Baltimore.

Micah, Doc Hardy has given some good advise. As has Festy.
    I'd venture to say that the jazz rabbit hole is just as formidable & deep.

If you don't own Miles Davis "Kind of Blue", you need to.
    Getz/Gilberto.
    The Jazz Messengers. (Art Blakey was the guru for so many influential & interesting artists)
    Pay attention to early/mid career Duke Ellington stuff to.

It goes on, and on, and on........
  • mhardy6647
    I've still got my training wheels on, jazz-wise.
    Most of the stuff I listen to now is probably called "Americana", even though a fair amount of it's not American at all.

e.g., Cowboy Junkies :)

here, killing two stones with one bird: the Junkies covering the Dead

https://youtu.be/irtESWUE_EY
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    lightman1 wrote: »

100% being serious here, I opened this thread to say this. What a coincidence, it kind of freaked me out.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Tommy.... 'Nuf said.

Ok, maybe Quadrophenia too.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited July 2018
    I believe you're significantly younger than most of us here.

Do you enjoy any of the same music your friends like?

Your dad playing Pink Floyd's DSOTM, that's a good start. If he has Floyd he probably has The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix etc., you mentioned already having some of these, they are only a few of the top rock groups of their era, the late 60's -70's, but there are hundreds of others, in the rock genre alone. Other genre's to explore are metal, jazz, blues, country, classical... and then sub-genre's of each.

It takes years of listening to know what music you really prefer. For me, over the years, I have widened my appreciation immensely to almost ever genre, but still have my preferences.

Couple of ideas; try Pandora, Spotify, or even You Tube to select some of the music recommended by others already. Also, you can go back through the "What Are You Listening To" thread to see what some of us routinely enjoy.

You can also go way back in this forum to some of these threads, very good recommendations in many of these:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/63343#Comment_63343
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7273/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-aaaa
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7439/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-bbbb
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7618/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-cccc
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7758/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-dddd

and so on thru Z. These posts began in 2003. Thanks to Tour2ma for starting them!

Hope this helps some. :)
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oh, oh, oh.

3ee1246qmk6v.png

Who's never heard of them? Well, 40 years ago I'd never heard of them...
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Nightfall wrote: »

100% being serious here, I opened this thread to say this. What a coincidence, it kind of freaked me out.

It's because you rock, Josh.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Here's just a very few...............
    Beatles Revolver,Rubber Soul
    Bob Dylan Hwy 61 Revisited
    Rolling Stones Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers
    Hendrix Electric Ladyland
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours
    The Who Who's Next
    Eagles The Long Run
    Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
    Elton John Tumbleweed Connection
    Santana Abraxas
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Nightfall
    Did someone say Crack the Skye?

400x400.jpg

• Nightfall
    Okay, I'm done with work now. I'll stay away from recommending anything too heavy.

1) Tool - If you only check out a single band from this list, make it this one.
    2) A Perfect Circle
    3) Clutch
    4) Corrosion of Conformity
    5) Faith no More
    6) Fu Manchu
    7) Gojira
    8) Joe Bonamassa
    9) Johnny Cash
    10) Kyuss
    11) Queens of the Stoneage
    12) Rush
    13) Talking Heads

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited July 2018
    Feisty, yes I realize Pink Floyd is a band. I almost always call every band “he” and usually I don’t catch myself. :lol:
    If you don't have a copy of Who's Next, you probably should.

:)

It doesn't even have any bad words in the lyrics, although the cover's a bit subversive.

3whbfmtky3ak.png

It's been overplayed to death thanks (initially) to Album Oriented Rock (AOR) radio -- but I still think it is the best rock album ever.

You might want to try some Little Feat, too. Waiting for Columbus, their live album, is superb.

Aww, heck -- as long as I am at it, you should try some Richard Thompson. :)

Here listen to this:

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg

One of the finest rock/folk guitarists ever - and he's still barely known by the rock music masses.
    oh, oh, oh.

3ee1246qmk6v.png
    Oh, don't skip over Wish You Were Here if you want to taste Pink Floyd.
    Dark Side of the Moon is OK and sounds good, but so, so overplayed.
    Oh, sorry , I need to stop... but one other thought for now.
    Black Crowes' Shake Your Money Maker is just tonnes of stupid, loud fun.

... plus it's got She Talks to Angels [EDIT: not "Angles"!] which is almost the antithesis of the rest of the album.

Great stuff.

Bunch of awesome recommendations here Doc, thanks! I will certainly check them all out.

I’m not sure my parents would let me listen to a band called Cannibal Corpse, I’ll have to see what they say about that. But still, thanks for the suggestion!
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Crack the Sky is marvelous, says the guy transplanted to Baltimore.

Micah, Doc Hardy has given some good advise. As has Festy.
    I'd venture to say that the jazz rabbit hole is just as formidable & deep.

If you don't own Miles Davis "Kind of Blue", you need to.
    Getz/Gilberto.
    The Jazz Messengers. (Art Blakey was the guru for so many influential & interesting artists)
    Pay attention to early/mid career Duke Ellington stuff to.

It goes on, and on, and on........

I do own Kind Of Blue, and I very much enjoy it. My dad has fallen straight to the bottom of that rabbit hole. He bought his turntable just before I came to this forum and he already has at least 300+ records.
    I will look into jazz in the future, but at this point I wanna try and stick to what I know I like best.
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    I believe you're significantly younger than most of us here.
    This is true, I am 15 years old.
    Do you enjoy any of the same music your friends like?
    no, they all like hip hop and rap, which is easily my least favorite style of music.
    Your dad playing Pink Floyd's DSOTM, that's a good start. If he has Floyd he probably has The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix etc., you mentioned already having some of these, they are only a few of the top rock groups of their era, the late 60's -70's, but there are hundreds of others, in the rock genre alone. Other genre's to explore are metal, jazz, blues, country, classical... and then sub-genre's of each.
    Unfortunately my dad doesn’t actually have DSOTM, he played it on iTunes in the car. He actually has about 3 rock and roll records (2 Beatles, and Hotel California) and the rest is jazz.
    It takes years of listening to know what music you really prefer. For me, over the years, I have widened my appreciation immensely to almost ever genre, but still have my preferences.
    So far I have found that I enjoy country, jazz, rock, and the calmest songs of metal. (metal is not my forte.) That’s not to say that I don’t appreciate other styles of music, or that I don’t like listening to it, but that if I’m in my room, and I’m not playing music for anyone else, it’s almost definitely gonna be one of these.
    Couple of ideas; try Pandora, Spotify, or even You Tube to select some of the music recommended by others already. Also, you can go back through the "What Are You Listening To" thread to see what some of us routinely enjoy.
    We already have iTunes, and I will be using it to try what was recommended before I go out and buy all of these records.
    You can also go way back in this forum to some of these threads, very good recommendations in many of these:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/63343#Comment_63343
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7273/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-aaaa
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7439/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-bbbb
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7618/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-cccc
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/7758/rock-and-roll-reminiscing-dddd

and so on thru Z. These posts began in 2003. Thanks to Tour2ma for starting them!

Hope this helps some. :)
    decal wrote: »
    Here's just a very few...............
    Beatles Revolver,Rubber Soul
    Bob Dylan Hwy 61 Revisited
    Rolling Stones Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers
    Hendrix Electric Ladyland
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours
    The Who Who's Next
    Eagles The Long Run
    Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
    Elton John Tumbleweed Connection
    Santana Abraxas

Already own Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Abraxas, and I will certainly check out the others!
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Okay, I'm done with work now. I'll stay away from recommending anything too heavy.

1) Tool - If you only check out a single band from this list, make it this one.
    2) A Perfect Circle
    3) Clutch
    4) Corrosion of Conformity
    5) Faith no More
    6) Fu Manchu
    7) Gojira
    8) Joe Bonamassa
    9) Johnny Cash
    10) Kyuss
    11) Queens of the Stoneage
    12) Rush
    13) Talking Heads

Thanks for these suggestions! I will check them out.

Thanks guys, I will certainly be listening to a LOT of music this week. I will put your suggestions to good use.
    Micah
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    You might like...
    s8pxnge6le3a.jpg
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^ Yes, he might, indeed. :)

Then again, it might be safer to taste test the Moody Blues (or Bluedy Moos, as I sometimes call them) with this 2-LP "best of" set (which I quite like). For better or worse, I tend to suffer an eventual onset of ennui listening to whole Moody Blues albums; I am more of a greatest hits kinda guy when it comes to them. :|

0pyotycxa5oz.png

• mhardy6647
    ^^^ Yes, he might, indeed. :)

Then again, it might be safer to taste test the Moody Blues (or Bluedy Moos, as I sometimes call them) with this 2-LP "best of" set (which I quite like). For better or worse, I tend to suffer an eventual onset of ennui listening to whole Moody Blues albums; I am more of a greatest hits kinda guy when it comes to them. :|

0pyotycxa5oz.png

This being said, we do have all of their classic albums, and some of their later ones as well :p Go figure.
    Mrs. H is a pretty big fan of them.

• mhardy6647
    Did anybody suggest Bruce Stringbean yet?
    He might be worthy of consideration. :)

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    Oh, oh, ooh!

Couple/three other albums that, were I in the OP's shoes, I'd want to have a copy of...

75ok63qt8fl7.png
    zvhqh5c7wxd9.png
    asymcj2vui83.png

all borrowed images -- I shoulda just taken photos of my own copies :/

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    The Johnny Cash American recordings produced by Rick Ruben are stellar.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • mhardy6647
    k9w9dhtzrn1k.png

from that brief, early period when Steely Dan was actually a rock band (and a pretty darned good one, too).
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Pink Floyd is a group and not an individual. Roger Waters and David Gilmore are the 2 more prominent members, each aslo have solo works out there that you should listen to.

x32bb72rsdaj.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Boy needs a haircut.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Oh, oh, ooh!

Couple/three other albums that, were I in the OP's shoes, I'd want to have a copy of...

75ok63qt8fl7.png
    zvhqh5c7wxd9.png
    asymcj2vui83.png

all borrowed images -- I shoulda just taken photos of my own copies :/

Agreed!!