Laid off

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
Just found out today that myself, three of my coworkers, and my manager are getting laid off. I've worked there for 6 years, my manager for 11.

Reason? They're outsourcing our positions to workers in another country.

What a feeling. :neutral:

Comments

• Clipdat
    Globally they're laying off about 20% of the staff.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I remember my last two tech jobs at IBM and Hewlett Packard ending the same way. After the first time I gave it another chance with IBM. After the second time, and seeing the rate at which these types of jobs were leaving the states, I moved on.

Good luck!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Clipdat
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic. It's just a crappy feeling, as I really got along well with my manager.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Been there myself. Laid off in 2010 after 16 years with the same outfit. Went from thinking "I'll retire from here" to "well, now what?". "Outsourcing" is what got me too. Keep your head up, you'll get through it!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Maybe now you will have some free time to learn how to use the quote feature. :p

Just messing with you.... that really sucks man,. Best is yet to come for you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Sorry, Drew. I have been there twice myself. Hope you can find something soon.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Stay strong and positive. My wife has been at a job for three years that is a progression from working for company that bought out her old company of 18 years. New job is very challenging and they keep over working her and demanding more on her plate every day. A week ago she put her resume out to some interesting companies and right away she got responses with interviews. Last night she wrote up her new demands for her to stay with existing company and if they do not match them she is walking. Lots of opportunities out there right now. Job market is ripe for your picking. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Sorry to hear that! Yes, sign up for unemployment and persevere! Lots of companies begging for reliable, educated workers right now.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Sorry to hear that.

Went through a similar thing 20+ years ago when the owner of the company I worked for who I planned on retiring from some day, decided to retire and put the place up for sale, Tyco healthcare bought it.

18 months later, the facility here was closed and the new one in Mexico was opened.

Thoughts and prayers for you folks that things will get better.

Hopefully lots of opportunities out there in your area.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Been there, done that. Always got a better job.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I’m sorry to hear this. Good luck in finding a new job!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    I know the feeling all too well but not due to outsourcing. Lost my position in the banking sector after 20+ yrs and felt the same way....what now.

Check out what options you may have regarding possible additional training(paid for) if you feel that's something that would benefit you. In PA you may possibly obtain a free ticket for training if a job is lost due to foreign outsourcing.

Hang in there man! Looking back and where I'm at these days it was the best thing that could have happened to me...hope it will be for you too!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Can you change light bulbs?.....

That stinks something fierce though. Chin up and move forward!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Drew I am really sorry to read that, definitely stinks. With the current job market, good people are very hard to find, at least in my industry. I hope you are able to find something relatively quickly that suits your needs and wants.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Sorry to hear bud, may I ask what you did or have experience in? Do you happen to be in Texas or Arizona? My company is hiring like crazy, we have a great work environment and growing year after year. We are in the Online Education field so lots of different positions open.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I hope the next door that opens has a bigger and brighter future for you on the other side. ;)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I'm sorry to hear this, but at least you will be looking in a good job market. I've been reading how good people are hard to find right now. You'll probably find a better job than you had.

Good luck!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much what I was going to say. I'm sorry to hear this Drew, but, looks like the job market is prime for finding a new, and better, job. Keep your spirits up, take UE benefits and find the right place for the rest of your working career.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Sorry to hear about this Drew. Stay positive and good things will happen!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    eBay? Sorry. While these things happen, they still suck, at least at first. Don't let it get you down. Every time I got laid off (3), I ended up better off. LOL. Good luck. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Sorry to hear. I know the feeling of being laid off twice in my life. Keep your head up.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Man sorry to hear that.

I was laid off in 06 when Sony closed the CRT plant in San Diego. We all knew it was coming, it was just a question of when.

Keep your head up and start looking.
    Sorry to hear bud, may I ask what you did or have experience in? Do you happen to be in Texas or Arizona? My company is hiring like crazy, we have a great work environment and growing year after year. We are in the Online Education field so lots of different positions open.

Need a warehouse manager? Would like to get the "F" out of CA.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Ouch! hang tough Brother! I got it in 82 with 3000 others took me 7 years to get back,, now I the senior employee and at the top of the seniority list...hope it all works out for you in these Scary times!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Getting laid off sucks man. Sorry to hear about this. But when in your life have you not made it? Think about that before you get to down man. You will find something again, something better maybe even something great. Turn this sad time into a Positive and really dig your heels in. Maybe take a day or 3 to un wind and relax. become cool calm and get collected. Then unleash my friend.
    I got laid off back in 2008. Tweeter went out of business so we all lost our jobs. I was making great money, I loved my job and everyone I worked with.
    The day it happened I came home and sat down and looked at the wall. I applied to everywhere I knew and crossed my fingers.
    The Next few days got ruff. People who wanted to hire me didn't have room or the money to pay me what I was worth. I was going down to my basement to do a load of laundry and my knees got weak. I sat down on the steps and basically had a small break down. I was worried about my family, my house cars and our overall well being.
    It really sucked dude I know how you maybe feeling inside.
    But the phone rang, Audiolab called me and basically told me to grab my tools and get over there.
    I only missed a few weeks of work, no big deal. I wish I had the strength then as I do now. If I lost my day job again I wouldn't worry at all. I always have made it in my life, and I always will. So will you man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Forgot to mention, apply immediately for unemployment. It takes a few weeks to start, so don't delay.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Sorry to hear that man. My wife was laid off last summer. Anyone over 55 or over 20 years with the company was given severance and asked to leave.
    She had just hit her 20 year mark.
    Experienced people make too much And old people have too many health problems that raise health insurance costs. They hired several millennial college graduates a week later.
    She found a better job and likes it. Sometimes bad turns into good. Hang in there.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Clipdat
    A heartfelt thank you to everyone who took the time to reply with well wishes, positive sentiment, and encouragement. I sincerely appreciate it. The past few days have been a bit of a whirlwind, but being able to sit down tonight and read through all the replies is helping to clear my head. Once again, my sincerest thanks.

I've found out that my employer would like to keep our team on staff for the next 60 days, so that we can assist with "transitional work". I'm assuming that means to train our replacements basically. If we sign an agreement stating that we will, they said they would give us a "retention bonus" of one week's pay for every two weeks worked over the course of the next 8 weeks.

My colleague is having a lawyer review the agreement tomorrow, but it seems like an OK deal I suppose. Just feels a little weird for them to be saying "You're job is over", and then "but wait, we desperately need your help still!".

Anyway, thanks again for all the support. I think that in the big picture, this will all work out for the best! Everything happens for a reason, right?