Does this look right?

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
Im trying to wire up 3 single voice coil 4 ohm subs on one channel. If i can get 2.7 ohms like this pic shows ill be good to go.

This look accurate? And would all three subs receive the same amount of power? Ok to put them in one ported chamber?

dofrat9ur10c.png

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Ok, so sub 1 and 2 make an 8 ohm load that is then paralleled to another 4 ohm load... To me that becomes something like a 5.x ohm load.

I could be wrong though.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    It is as the Yboy says in principle, although I think he slipped a digit someplace doin' the arithmetic :(
    Ohm. He is the Law. B)

dofrat9ur10c.png

Resistances (or Impedances)* in series are additive.
    Rt = R1 + R2 + ...

Resistances (or Impedances) in parallel follow a rule like this:
    1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...

In the illustrated case: R1 and R2 are in series, so Rt for those two is 8 ohms.

R3 is then wired in parallel to (R1 +R2), so, in this case:

1/Rt = (1/8 + 1/4)

1/Rt = 3/8

Rt = 8/3 = 2.67 Ohms

* Voice coils passing AC waveforms (music!) are reactive devices and as such the parameter of interest is impedance as opposed to resistance (which applies only to DC circuits or those without inductive or capacitive components). Technically, impedance is called Z and resistance is R, but both quantities obey Ohm's Law :)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    When the doctor speaks, knowledge is bestowed. I neglected the least common denominator (derp).
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Well, you know what they say:
    Give a man a fish, and he is fed for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, and you won't see him for the rest of the weekend.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Well, after looking at all the specs for the class d amps i was looking at, i think i just need to source one more driver and make it 4 and just run two 2 ohm loads.

Thanks for the ohms law lesson!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    CH46E wrote: »
    Thanks for the ohms law lesson!

Ditto!