I've got Orchard Grass in my yard.

Options
Irrenhaus
Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
edited July 2018 in The Clubhouse
Any one have a recommendation on ho to clear them out. Is summer for me so the grass is yellow but it will go back to nice and green on spring. I will like get them out before spring comes along. I made the mistake of using selective weed killers. But they don"t work. I have been able to clear the other weeds and that is good.

What I can do? I just got Bayer Advanced DuraZone Weed & Grass Killer but I don't want to use this on the lawn (glyphosate). I am afraid that nothing will grown in that spot.

Next option just get a shovel and get off the ground. They get big quick.

d8elye2o7m7v.png

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Rey
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    If grass is still dormant, nuke it will grass and weed killer. It will not hurt your lawn. If grass is showing any greenup then don’t. Hand pull them out. If it looks like you did not get all the roots out, spot treat it with grass killer.

Trust me I am a lawn freak.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Sounds like your a little frustrated, and I say go with that.

Gasoline and a match.
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Sounds like your a little frustrated, and I say go with that.

Gasoline and a match.

Well not frustrated just bother. But if it was this kind of weed I will for go the gasoline and just use the match.

opes1f9zpcbf.jpg

Cheers
    Rey
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
  • Irrenhaus
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    If grass is still dormant, nuke it will grass and weed killer. It will not hurt your lawn. If grass is showing any greenup then don’t. Hand pull them out. If it looks like you did not get all the roots out, spot treat it with grass killer.

Trust me I am a lawn freak.

Have not try to pull them out. That will be the last step.

Thanks
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Shovel, and patch the area with seed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    Yup, shovel.
    That stuff is insidious.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    I have our lawn looking fabulous this year even with all the heat but I am not liking my water bill.. LOL!!! I am surprised they didn't say anything about my water consumption last month.. :#
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    Options
    We kinda let nature take its course here -- the mowed grass is lookin' kinda brown, as it's been quite dry. That said, we had a frog strangler downpour yesterday that, with drizzle on Saturday, gave us nearly 1/2 inch of rain (which is a good thing).

Oh -- sorta back on topic :p
    Our big problem weed here, at least the past couple of years, is this nasty, tenacious stuff known, at least in these parts, as bedstraw weed.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74154.html

nnhl1l4vp91k.png
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    You need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Grampas-Weeder-CW-01-Original-Remover/dp/B001D1FFZA

They were a big deal up here in the Northeast when I was a kid. Made digging out our more pervasive weeds with tap roots (like dandelions or the various types of greebriar we have) a breeze. Still need a shovel, sometimes but otherwise easy as pie and no bending over.

They are making a kind of resurgence lately and you can get them cheap $20-$30.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I have taken to fertilizing the heck out of the bermuda in our front yard so the grass will crowd out any weeds from growing. It is....sort of working. The problem is the front grass was struggling to begin with due I assumed it would be dug up for a new septic field, which didnt turn out to be the case
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    So that's what that's called! I've got a few patches, along with the bedstraw weed stuff as well. Lawn dudes are handling it. They do a much better job than I could and much faster. Not cheap but worth it for sure.
  • Irrenhaus
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi

So it looks the first application of the Bayer stuff is working. Is the same one as the first picture. I am trying to be very careful when spraying. Trying to be spot on. As soon they are dead I will get them off the ground. Probably get Jstas recommendation.

zjozobae6eih.jpg

Cheers
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Fiskars also makes a weeder similar to the Grandpa one. I would go with the one that has the longest prongs esp. if trying to pull dandelions as their roots are very long.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    If it's green, I usually let it stay ;)
    Anything with leaves and flowers go.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    I agree. My Dad strived for the perfect lawn. On a visit he mentioned that we have weeds in our lawn(apprx 1.5 acre) to which I replied If it looks like green grass from here...it's all good.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Crabgrass preventer used in the spring will help with that next year. If you use a good weedkiller make sure you don't use it on a hot-dry day when the good grass will drink it up and you'll end up killing that to. Don't ask how I know that first hand
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    My neighbors mantra is "if it grows it mows"
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,455
    Options
    You guys ever heard of Hogweed? I heard it's been in the news lately. Looks harmless, and almost beautiful, fast growing, but extremely toxic. A local landscaper kid got 3rd degree burns on his from contact.

Sometimes mistaken for Pokeweed, which isn't harmful.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,687
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    You guys ever heard of Hogweed? I heard it's been in the news lately. Looks harmless, and almost beautiful, fast growing, but extremely toxic. A local landscaper kid got 3rd degree burns on his from contact.

Sometimes mistaken for Pokeweed, which isn't harmful.

Yeah, there is a lot of that in Vermont. Farmers hate it. Blistering pustules and....pustulating blisters. :o It looks very much like Queen Anne's Lace. They are both part of the carrot family.

Wait....I just said "carrot". So......

8nck530xpibw.jpg
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It's actually Giant Hogweed that is super toxic.

Common Hogweed is relatively benign with only folks most sensitive to sunlight being susceptible to irritations from it.

Giant Hogweed, on the other hand, is pretty toxic and while not really lethal, leaves ouchy blisters and burns that can scar for years. People with a sensitivity to sunlight or depressed immune systems can be in danger of Anaphylaxis which can be lethal.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Giant hogweed

1y5hx8i0y89r.png

There's this stuff, too, which is ever more common (unfortunately) along roadsides here on the other side of the Connecticut River :(
    "Wild Parsnip", it is apparently called.
    Same kind of deal -- at some point in its life cycle (at least), it's very irritating.

p3razeqh5gok.png