Phono Tour - Vista Audio Phono 2

2»

Comments

• dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,189
    Thanks.
    Received the unit today. Will inbox later and hopefully be able to put her thru the paces soon
    Skip, is Muncybob next? If so, one of y'all please let me know address and I'll get 'er shipped for the next participant.
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,873
    If I am next please bump me down one slot...preamp still not back from the shop :(
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, "upgraded" Polk SDA 2B.
    This baby is shipped!
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,873
    Looking forward to playing with this. Their website has suggested load/gain for some carts but of course mine being older(Shure V15 type V) is not listed...any suggestions?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, "upgraded" Polk SDA 2B.
    Skip has a database on the 1st page of this thread that has the load and gain for various cartridges. He has two Shures listed and they are both 23kohm loads and 40 db gain, but neither is a V15. I used a Shure M91ED cart and I don't recall the load and gain I used off the top of my head, but I left the phono preamp with those settings, I seem to remember it was 47kohm load and maybe 50 db gain. It seems a bit difficult to find the load and gain settings on the internet for the V15 Type V, but I think I found the settings for the load on the Type IV - which appear to be 47kohm load but I couldn't find the gain on a quick search - didn't have much time sorry. I would try the V15 Type V with the 47 load setting that its currently set at, and try to look harder for the gain on the Type V. It may turn out its 50 db gain like the M91ED, I don't know, but if that's the case it would be set up when you receive it. You could talk to Skip about changing the load setting if you find its other than 47Kohm. Most MM carts are default 47kohm IIRC, but some have max benefits at other than 47. As Skip's database shows, the Shure M97XE has a load of 23kohm. The phono preamp is super easy to change once you understand the basic concept of the setting tabs.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,892
    Bump for those interested in this tour. It is currently on the last participant so you shouldn't have a long wait to get it.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,729
    Tempting for the sole reason that if you are endorsing/carrying something, it's probably legit as ****.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Bump for those interested in this tour. It is currently on the last participant so you shouldn't have a long wait to get it.

Got Dayens?
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tempting for the sole reason that if you are endorsing/carrying something, it's probably legit as ****.

LOL. Thanks for the vote of confidence. If it makes any difference, Boris (guy who designed this) works very closely with the guys at Dayens. Take a look at the Vista Spark and you will see the resemblance to the Dayens gear.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,729
    Nice. Just looked it up, and also read some more about the Vista phono 2 pre. I'm really liking this "less is more" design approach.

My exposure to phono preamps has been whatever is inside the DJ mixer I'm using, which I'm sure isn't great. With the exception of my MP2014 which sounds great with vinyl. Rane describes some of the features: "The phono RIAA filter accuracy measures +0.1/-0.2 dB from perfect. Included are 18 Hz high-pass infrasonic (rumble) filters with steep 18 dB/octave slopes and ultrasonic filters beginning roll-off at 50 kHz at a 12 dB/octave rate."

Looks like the Vista has a few similar filters which can be engaged/disengaged at will. Seems like a quality piece. Price seems a little high, but what do I know.

LOL. Thanks for the vote of confidence. If it makes any difference, Boris (guy who designed this) works very closely with the guys at Dayens. Take a look at the Vista Spark and you will see the resemblance to the Dayens gear.

Got Dayens?
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 429
    I'm game. Still go audiothesis to sign-up?
    Yes sir.
    audiothesis.com/

• pablo_rodzpablo_rodz Posts: 304
    edited March 4
    I just saw this thread. Is it too late to join the tour? I’m researching to buy a phone pre amp. I’m in Richmond, TX

Update - I have an Ortofon 2M Red
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3, (2) ADCOM GFA 555 Bridged, Speakers - LSi 15, LSi C, LSi FX, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250.

Living Room:
    Schiit Saga, Parasound HCA-600, OPPO BDP-103D, LSi7
    Nope. Just follow the initial post's instructions and it should be good. This unit is about to move to a new member shortly and the list itself is very short at this point.
    audiothesis.com/

pablo_rodz wrote: »
    I just saw this thread. Is it too late to join the tour? I’m researching to buy a phone pre amp. I’m in Richmond, TX

Update - I have an Ortofon 2M Red

Got it bud. You are second on the list. Anyone else who is interested should sign up now. As long as it is still on tour I can add you.
    audiothesis.com/

Bump. This is ready for immediate review if someone else wants in. Otherwise, I'm ending it.
    audiothesis.com/

• Easy RunninEasy Runnin Posts: 404
    I'd like to check this out.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • Easy RunninEasy Runnin Posts: 404
    Just left info on your contact page. Forgot to include my Polk username.

I'l be using a Denon DL-103 cartridge and an AT120E cartridge..
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
2»