Speaker Cables

Looking for some better cables to connect the pristine Monitor 11 RTAs I got from Jesse. Don’t want to spend too much, but these speakers deserve better than the Monoprice 14 AWG in-wall cables with el-cheap-o bananas on the ends that I had laying around.

Could use anywhere from 6’ to 10’ cables. Would like banana/banana or banana/spade terminations. Anyone looking to part with anything that might work?

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    what is too much $ ?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Would like to stay under $75 for now.
  • scubalab
    Thanks for the link Drew!

What’s weird is a 10’ pair is $5 less than an 8’ pair... :o
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited June 2018
    The sizing to pricing and termination options were strange. For example certain terminations are only available on certain sizes. Fortunately it worked out for me, I got a 4' pair pins/spades.

Also, I just went from Monoprice 14ga OFC to these AQ Type 2 and so far so good.

Full review coming soon! ;)
  • scubalab
    Still looking...

The Audioquest are tempting, and I'll likely give them a try for that price. Before I order, I thought I'd see if anyone has something with a nicer finish that they may be willing to part with. Since these cables will be visible, something with a nicer finish (tech-flex) would be preferred.
  • DForeman
    DForeman Posts: 468
    I've got a 6' pair of Signal Cable Ultras - they are spade/spade though. Say $80 shipped.
    Parasound P5 Pre
    Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
    Rega Planar 2 TT
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSiM 705 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiM 704c
    Oppo BDP-103
  • marvda1
    edited July 2018
    zu audio has an ebay store where you can bid on their discontinued cables. I got a 10 ft pair of their libtec speaker cables, retail for $1000+ for a little over $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZU-AUDIO-LIBTEC-10ft-3-0m-Hi-Fi-Loudspeaker-Cables-Matched-Pair-NEW/113126990547?epid=678760801&hash=item1a56e4e2d3:g:QkYAAOSwYHxWPO1a
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Pm sent al
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2018
    I just purchase recently a pair of ZU Mission speaker cables in their Ebay store, 8' for $77.00! The bonus is these sound great and the service was outstanding.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • scubalab
    I’d been watching and bidding on (here and there) the Zu Mission and Libtec cables. Finally won a 10’ pair of Libtec SCs tonight at a nice price (just over 70 bucks). Anxious to try them out.

Question on the terminations... is been thinking bananas on the amp end and spades on the speaker end. However, I’m wondering if spades will work with the terminal cup on the back of the Monitor 11s. Are they angled at all? Is the connection short enough or flexible enough to fit? If anyone (@marvda1 or @motorhead43026)who has these could confirm (pics might help) that would be great. Also, would you recommend the standard (1/4”) or oversized (5/16”) spades? The 1/4” will work with the Polks, but if I ever wanted to use them with my Paradigms, they’d need to be 5/16”. Just wondering if the 1/4” are stepped, or if not, would the 1/16” play be an issue.

Thanks much,
    -Al
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Go bananas. Too much pressure on those plastic nuts they will strip or break in two.
    They can be fragile.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited July 2018
    Hey funny story @scubalab..... I was "thhhiiiissss" close to bidding on those for my loft setup lol.

I've been watching all the Libtec SC, Mission and Event SC, and a 3.5mm to Rca on their store.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • marvda1
    I ordered 5/16" spades on both ends. most times it's spades on the amp end and bananas on the speaker end for those of us that change speakers in and out a lot.
    Puritan PSM156
  • motorhead43026
    If you want spades on the speaker ends order the 5/16 as mentioned. I ordered 1/4" for the speaker ends wanting something that would fit tighter. They are tight alright as I had to spread the opening with pliers just a tiny bit and work then on the posts.
    Not a big deal but shouldn't be necessary. Bananas on the amp end are all I ever use and yes the spades are angled, at least the 1/4" are.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    If you find yourself unhappy with them hit me up, I have a few things in stock you might like.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scubalab
    edited July 2018
    mantis wrote: »
    If you find yourself unhappy with them hit me up, I have a few things in stock you might like.

Sure... NOW you tell me Dan! Seriously though, I appreciate it. I'll let you know if I still need anything.

For now though, I went with the oversized spades on the amp end and bananas on the speaker end of the Zu Libtecs. I spoke to someone at their shop and agree with motorhead - their customer service so far has been wonderful - very helpful.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Cool man good luck with them. I hope they work out for yeah.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • marvda1
    let us know what you think when you get the cables in.
    Puritan PSM156
  • scubalab
    Got these on Friday, and due to a busy (traveling) weekend and some other issues, I did not get a chance to give them much of an audition yet. I will say that I'm not the best at 'reviews' when it comes to describing sonic performance!

What I can say is that from a customer service standpoint, and fit and finish of these cables, I would have expected to pay A LOT more! These are, by far, some of the nicest cables I have purchased. I paid about the same price/foot for these as I did for some pre-owned Signal Cable Ultra's a couple years ago that had to be terminated. While the Signal Cables were nice cables and well worth what I paid, they didn't even come close to the craftsmanship, aesthetics, and quality of the Zu Audio Libtecs.

These cables are BIG - about 1/2" (maybe more) in diameter. However, they are surprisingly flexible for their gauge. The tech-flex like sleeving is very well made. Heat shrink over the splitters as well as at the terminations was done very nicely. Terminations are nicer than I was expecting. At the speaker end I opted for banana plugs. They are low profile, but nicely spring-loaded and hold nicely where the old cables I used were very loose. The amp end has copper spades that both look good, and feel solid, yet slightly flexible enough to aid in the tight connection on the back of the B&K. (The binding posts on the B&K only allow the spades to be inserted from below, so I had to slightly bend/curve the cable since it was so close to the bottom and the cable was hitting the rack shelf.)

Packaging was a lot nicer than I expected. These came double-boxed - the outer box was a perfect (custom) fit plain cardboard package. The inner box was the Zu Audio packaging - very sturdy, well made, and presented well. Inside, both cables were individually packaged in sealed plastic bags. Each of the terminations had a nice piece of sturdy tech-flex-like sleeving protecting the bananas and spades. Also in the box was some company literature, an "owner's manual", and a terminal polishing pad (nice touch). Everything looked great, was presented as new, and was high quality.

As far as sound - I'm not the best judge of sonic signature descriptions, and I typically cannot hear much, if any, changes in the sound with different cables. I can say that I still heard music, and it sounded dammmmm fine!

The cables are silver/copper with Teflon and as such it is recommended that they be allowed up to 400 hours for burn-in. It will be quite some time before I hit that amount of time on the cables, so I may install them on an integrated and let some music play several hours a day. And, at that rate, I likely won't "notice" any changes in sound.

Bottom line - I'd highly recommend these cables. The folks at Zu Audio were a pleasure to talk to. Their eBay sales are killer deals. Shipping was crazy fast (I talked to them on Monday morning, requested the terminations, and paid later in the day, and had these at my door by noon on Friday. Not bad for custom terminated cables delivered from Utah to Pennsylvania! Price was insane. After seeing the quality of these cables, even my cheap butt would have paid $200 - $300 for them. I feel like I got one heck of a deal at just under $90 delivered!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Nice. Sounds like the fit and finish is top notch. They're going to be at an audio show I'm going to this weekend, so I'm hoping to get a chance to talk shop with them and hear their speakers. Thanks for the review.
  • EndersShadow
    Where are the pics bro?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    Like my Zu cables.

• scubalab
    Where are the pics bro?

Alreight Dan @EndersShadow these are for you. I couldn’t just snap pics with them installed. OCD as I am, I had to re-package them and take ‘unofficial’ unboxing pics. Also for reference - in some pics, I put a piece of 14 AWG Furez from Doug that I had laying around to give an idea of size. The diameter of the Zu cable is 7/16” (just slightly - maybe 1/32” - larger than the Furez) and the splitter is 3/4”.

wxc03u2jk7ec.jpeg

qukp2bd1tvsk.jpeg

6znh1xjvqzw1.jpeg

idm68q3te4p7.jpeg

eid6ayqj5956.jpeg

eo5mni2s827y.jpeg

6bqn19i9a658.jpeg

lg300g2f6xob.jpeg

cxivzkz0jys0.jpeg

8l5mx45n85cn.jpeg

ci79flwxbf5k.jpeg

2a1v7ajaf6m1.jpeg

wjvlwajwwo6e.jpeg

d9gv27jj3o21.jpeg

4hxuezt4yrwv.jpeg

j6iza0cghz5d.jpeg

afveknw2am7u.jpeg

s7g5wpcvxgl8.jpeg

tjnil0fhjh5j.jpeg

teaioti5cauo.jpeg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    15 minutes later: "Oh, wow. I can see the top 5% of all 20 of those monolithic image files."
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Mine loaded in about 8 seconds over my 4G LTE connection. What is wrong with your internet?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Mine loaded in about 8 seconds over my 4G LTE connection. What is wrong with your internet?
    I have the luxury of no neighbors for 1/4 mile. Sadly, living that far from humanity (the scourge of planet Earth) does not allow for fast internet speeds. At least not where I live. I can stream Netflix in HD. That's all I really need it to do.
  • EndersShadow
    Wow, they look really nice! I'm gonna start bidding on them now for my loft for sure.
  • scubalab
    Do it! For the price... you'd have a hard time getting something even close.

Since these need up to 400 hours burn-in, it’ll be some time before I dare evaluate the sound quality. Although, I haven’t necessarily been able to hear differences in cables in the past. I can say the speakers they’re driving sound damn good!