1986 Monitor 5 jrs vs 2004 LSi 7s

Options
Tide
Tide Posts: 154
edited December 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I recently started building a new HT sound system for a new HDTV. I started with some LSi 7s as mains, a CSi 3 center, and a HSU VTF-2 sub and I was going to add some FX for rears. I ended up buying a Mirage Nanosat system for the HDTV and moved the Polk stuff in the other room.

The reason I started with the LSi 7s was that I've owned and enjoyed some Monitor 5 jrs since 1986. Since they are now in the same room, I did an A-B test on them.

I think the 5 jrs sound better that the 7s, which disappointed me a little (I guess because the 7s are newer). I think the 5 jrs have more bass and simulated a center better than the 7s. Granted, the 7s don't have much time on them, but I would have thought they would have blown away the 5 jrs.

Is it a matter of listening preference? Is there that much difference in the new vs old construction?
SDA 2s; HSU STF-2; Yamaha RX-V1
SDA-CRSs; Polk PSW-303; Rotel RB-960BX; Rotel RSP-960AX;
LSi 7s; Infinity PS8; Rotel RB-980BX; Rotel RSP-980
Mirage Nanosat 5.1; Yamaha RX-V2300
Monitor 5s, 5 jrs, & 4s
Post edited by Tide on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Around 1992'ish I bought a new pair of Polk Monitor 5jr's to take to Turkey with me. I ran them with a Sony ES CD player, Yamaha C-65 Pre and Soundcraftsmen PM-840 amp. I loved those little ****. Those things would rock, and with 205 watts/rms coming from the PM-840, those pups took some abuse.

Great little speaker, I'm not at all surprised they give the Lsi7 a run for its money.

I like the vintage Polk stuff far more than I do it's current line, with the exception of the LSi series. I absolutely hate the silver cone/baffle look of the new stuff as it looks cheap to me. Newer doesn't necessarily mean better, at least thats my opinion.

In the words of Andy Rooney "China and underwear should always be white," and I would add: "and speaker cones, black."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Have you broken your LSi7's in for several hours? I know they sound considerably better after about 50-100 hours of break in. I love mine, after I broke them initially.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Not surprising...

That is the general pattern with ALL Polk speakers. There is a tremendous difference between the first and current RT line, now whether it is a good or bad difference is up to the ears listening...

However, the new Monitor line seems to be quite the treat...HMM
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.