Dolby Atmos

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
edited July 2018 in Speakers
Hello all,
This weekend I'm installing Atmos into my current 5.2 system. After upgrading to 4k and Dolby Vision I feel the need to finish it off with Atmos.

I've calibrated some killer Atmos home Theaters lately, our Showroom has a killer Revel Atmos system so I'm gonna go the 5.2.2 route and give it a go.

My Room isn't the best as I have 14 foot ceilings and one side is a 45degree angle which doesn't work for Atmos. BUT one of our speaker lines has a perfect solution for this which is called a POINT. This gives me the ability to Point the speaker at the floor instead of being off by 45 degrees. Yeah I know clever LOL.
Eposide Signature 1700 series which are their best sounding speakers and I really like them a lot has a angled speaker that I purchased for the left side of my room and I got another single 1700 for the flat part of my ceiling.
I'm gonna start out with just 2 as I was gonna spring for all 4 but I think 2 will be just fine.
My Sony STRZA5000ES has a pretty good calibration stereo Mic which will re eq the system so the Signature series speakers will Timbre match as close as possible to my Def Tech Mythos system. I looked into Def Tech but they only carry in ceiling square POINT speakers and I didn't want that as I don't like the look of square in ceiling speakers. I have installed and calibrated Def Tech's in ceiling Points in the past and they are straight up stupid awesome but for my room and this test, I don't see the reason to use them. One day if I ever get my Theater built in my basement, then I would consider using 4 of them for Almos there if I stick with Def Tech for that room, but for now I just wanna give Atmos a home demo and this is going to be fun.

Anyone else rocking Atmos?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• mantis
    If you see the back light cans which are 5 inch, I'm gonna mount the Atmos speakers one straight up from the back left can and the other just left of the right can.
    If I add the other set of Atmos speakers, they will mirror the other 2 Light cans left and right. Another POINT and normal In ceiling will be used just like the back Atmos speakers.
    q3y844d60m9i.jpg
    zczt7kp7eet5.jpg
    0kobqgofytz4.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    Here are the speakers. You can see the angle of the Point vs the flat mount. They also both have pivoting tweeters for a more accurate placement of sound.
    s40n8anvita7.jpg
    46pvpr24lmk1.jpg
    Dan
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,833
    I have a 7.1.2 setup right now, it will eventually be a 7.2.2
  • mantis
    And there you go, all Installed and already tested and Calibrated.
    Atmos sounds amazing. It really fills in the space between the front, center and Surrounds to a more 3D space. They don't call attention to themselves they blend in as I was hoping. I can't even tell they are a different brand, Sony's EQ is pretty damn good. They have a different sonic signature if you listen to them un EQ'd but afterwards they fall into place. I was actually worried about that.
    With the Marantz Monoblocks on the front speakers since they are the only LARGE channel in the system, I took some stress off the internal Amps of the 5000ES receiver and allowed the rest of the channels to have maximum Dynamic range. I will pull the mono blocks to see if the receiver falls on it's face or not.
    But anyway I'm going to Best Buy to pick up Room Raider and anything else I see in Atmos LOL.
    flba6jg4g6so.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    The POINT is so awesome, it did exactly what I wanted it to do. It fired straight down, I even adjusted the Tweeter for a perfect downward firing sound. Love it.
    guc5w6vc86iz.jpg
    rl15w947rpjx.jpg
    Dan
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Very nice install & it sounds good to boot. Are your atmos speakers above your rear seating area or more middle between seating and front sound stage? Curious as i would like to take atmos for a test drive.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mantis
    I placed the Rear Atmos Speakers exactly where they are suppose to be. So they are right in front of my listening position lined up with my front main speakers 0 degrees.
    I have perfect placement for front Atmos speakers as well which would be right in front of my front Main channels 0 degrees.
    Dan
  • mantis
    c93lvu1fiusi.jpg
    8535se3gqs5u.jpg
    Dan
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2018
    How did you run the speaker wire so fast? Looks like it would have taken some time to pull that off, I know it took me some time to get mine pulled and place right..
  • Toolfan66
    Oh, and very nice work Dan..
  • mantis
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    How did you run the speaker wire so fast? Looks like it would have taken some time to pull that off, I know it took me some time to get mine pulled and place right..
    It's what I do for a living my man. I've been in the business for over 20 years. I ran the wires, Cut in the speakers, Installed the speakers, Terminated with Audioquest Banana plugs, calibrated and tested in under 2 hours.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Oh, and very nice work Dan..
    Thanks man.

Dan
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    mantis wrote: »
    It's what I do for a living my man. I've been in the business for over 20 years. I ran the wires, Cut in the speakers, Installed the speakers, Terminated with Audioquest Banana plugs, calibrated and tested in under 2 hours.

Nice work,

gee can you come over and pull new wire to my ceiling speakers? It's coming close to 20 years old and the builder used the cheapest wire they had. Arrow 16awg stuff.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Yes that’s insane. It’s like an all day job for me lol.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Yes that’s insane. It’s like an all day job for me lol.
    When you have the right tools and know how it doesn't take long at all. Again I have been doing this for over 20 years so if I couldn't do it that fast I should consider another career LOL.

Dan
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Looks very nice. Definitely needed the point with your ceilings. I'm running 7.2.2 and love it. Seamless integration makes you feel like you're in the movie not watching a movie. The way my rooms set-up I'll probably only stay with 2 atmos speakers.

Now it's time to enjoy your system. Get "Hacksaw Ridge in 4K - Atmos"
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • mantis
    I can easily go 5.2.4 but choose to go 5.2.2 as I wasn't sure if I needed the extra 2 Atmos speakers. My room isn't setup to run a surround back channel which I wish it was but I don't have the proper spacing for them and I'm not going to put them where they should not be.
    2 Atmos speakers does the job quite well.
    Dan
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Always enjoy your posts Mantis :).

Wish both Polk and DefTech would release round angled ceiling speakers.
  • mantis
    Yes that would be killer. These are custom speakers.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Just a quick update about Atmos. If you don't have it, get it. It takes surround and home theater to a completely new level. It's WAY more accurate sounding with movement in time and space. It put things exactly where they should be.
    My god I wish I would have done this years ago when it came out. Boy how I have been missing out. Our Installers go out to our theater jobs and do the full Install then I come behind and setup and Calibrate the rooms for audio and video.
    I run a few clips to test but I never sit and watch an entire movie in Atmos. It's truly an amazing experience. 5.1 was good but Atmos is on another level.
    Dan
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Atmos is immersive sound. Have sat through several great demo's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I already have in-ceiling surrounds in my basement system. I thought about 7.1 or 5.1.2, but ended up sticking with 5.1, mainly because I think Atmos would seem to work best with wall-mounted surrounds.

I do have some upward-firing Atmos add-on speakers in my family room 5.1.2, but have only tested them with short trailers. Cool effect, but haven't enjoyed an entire movie with them.
  • mantis
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I already have in-ceiling surrounds in my basement system. I thought about 7.1 or 5.1.2, but ended up sticking with 5.1, mainly because I think Atmos would seem to work best with wall-mounted surrounds.

I do have some upward-firing Atmos add-on speakers in my family room 5.1.2, but have only tested them with short trailers. Cool effect, but haven't enjoyed an entire movie with them.
    Atmos works best with wall mounted surrounds. If you have in ceiling speakers for other channels, Atmos isn't ideal.
    I also don't really care for the upward firing designs. It feels like a band aid but it works and it's close to what you would get with actual speakers.
    Atmos your also supposed to drop your surrounds down to 42 inches to the Tweeter but I don't agree with that spec. When your using 5.1 stuff you now have to use a simulator to recreate the proper height for the surrounds. Yes you can run your 5.1 at 42 inches or ear level but it never sounds right to me. I have done countless systems both ways and every single system even with much higher end speakers on the floor, the wall mounted 72 inch to the tweeter surround channels always sound right correct or better. More lifelike and more accurate to what your watching on the screen.
    Dan
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Yes you can run your 5.1 at 42 inches or ear level but it never sounds right to me. I have done countless systems both ways and every single system even with much higher end speakers on the floor, the wall mounted 72 inch to the tweeter surround channels always sound right correct or better. More lifelike and more accurate to what your watching on the screen.
    Have you ever had a situation where the side surrounds and the rear surrounds had to be at different heights? Say you have a long rectangular room (7.1 channel), you mount the side surrounds at 72" on the wall, but the rear surrounds have to be put on stands because the rear wall is too far away or inaccessible. So the rear surrounds would be much shorter than the sides. Would you lower the side surrounds to match the rear surrounds, or have the rears lower than the sides?
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I've stumped the professional.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I've stumped the professional.
    I've done wall-mounted surrounds with in-ceiling backs, and vice-versa. Worked out fine either way, but that was without Atmos, which calibrates differently.
  • mantis
    edited July 2018
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Yes you can run your 5.1 at 42 inches or ear level but it never sounds right to me. I have done countless systems both ways and every single system even with much higher end speakers on the floor, the wall mounted 72 inch to the tweeter surround channels always sound right correct or better. More lifelike and more accurate to what your watching on the screen.
    Have you ever had a situation where the side surrounds and the rear surrounds had to be at different heights? Say you have a long rectangular room (7.1 channel), you mount the side surrounds at 72" on the wall, but the rear surrounds have to be put on stands because the rear wall is too far away or inaccessible. So the rear surrounds would be much shorter than the sides. Would you lower the side surrounds to match the rear surrounds, or have the rears lower than the sides?
    Yes I have. But in that situation I would not use surround back channels. I don't think it sounds right when the surround are at different heights wall side. However If you where able to put the surround back channels in the ceiling at the correct distance from the seating position and use Point design speakers or amiable some brands call them, then you can have the surrounds at different heights.
    This setup would not work well with Atmos.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Funny this was returned from the dead. I'm actually planning on adding 2 more Atmos speakers to the system. I'm gonna use the exact speakers I have now. One Point and one downward firing. 4 Atmos speakers work better then just 2. 2 is very nice and a very nice way to get into Atmos but 4 is where things start to really come alive.
    Dan
  • diverdog
    diverdog Posts: 27
    Very nice install. Atmos does make a huge difference adding the overhead channels and vector placement of the sound. I like the speakers you used and it seems the flat model might be a good match for my 707's & 703's. I'm building a 9.3.4 system in a custom room. It will be six months or so till the room is ready.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Atmos is immersive sound. Have sat through several great demo's

Thank you for the DTSX and Atmos sampler from years ago!