Conrad Johnson vs. Carver Amp

124»

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 2,689
    I'm expecting yet another jump in performance with my fully modded 1C's.

The CJ was the only variable in my comparison today. The difference was quite noticeable.
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 382
    verb wrote: »
    The difference was quite noticeable.

I'll bet! If I hadn't already sunk $700 into my current amp's restoration I'd be looking for something like what you got!
    SDA 1C's
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,212
    edited March 11
    Glad you like it, but many of us knew the outcome ahead of time. Now when you hear someone say that amps don't matter much, you have a frame of reference to prove them wrong.

Older higher end pieces make excellent audio choices for those on a budget. Congrats again.

Oh, and get that amp off the carpet soon. Static isn't good for amps.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    Will do @tonyb ! Thanks!
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,680
    Not on my list of reference CD's but hey maybe I'll give it a go! Thanks Jimmy! :smiley:
    Not on my list of reference CD's but hey maybe I'll give it a go! Thanks Jimmy! :smiley:

Yeah, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. :p
    tonyb wrote: »
    Glad you like it, but many of us knew the outcome ahead of time. Now when you hear someone say that amps don't matter much, you have a frame of reference to prove them wrong.

Older higher end pieces make excellent audio choices for those on a budget. Congrats again.

Oh, and get that amp off the carpet soon. Static isn't good for amps.

Well I finally had a chance to make a stand for my CJ Amp. Prior to that, I just had it sitting on a scrap piece of maple butcher block. Even before that, yes it was sitting on the carpet!

I used 1.5" oak butcher block, and found the 1/8" steel legs on-line, designed for a chair or couch. There are 4 mounting holes per leg which I secured with screws. The feet are threaded which allows adjustment. Eventually I will replace them with spikes.

5k1zalx7puh0.jpg
    qrkzv5jao1ys.jpg
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,034
    Looking very good
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,842
    Hell yeah!
    Got Dayens?
  • ManticoreManticore Posts: 244
    Sexy that wood is. Looks sturdy too.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound HCA 1500A amplifier
    Adcom GFA 555 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    NAD pp 4 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk RTiA 7's
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
    Design inspired by Tom Swift's spaceship. :)

fghmjzzvinmq.jpg
    Manticore wrote: »
    Sexy that wood is. Looks sturdy too.

Yep. I can stand on it (~200 lbs) without any issue. :smile:
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Design inspired by Tom Swift's spaceship. :)

fghmjzzvinmq.jpg

Kinda spacecraft looking, I'll admit. Heck, I just need a monoprice amp to launch this sucker into orbit! :smile:
    2992evzl1mrd.png
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,827
    Well I finally had a chance to make a stand for my CJ Amp. Prior to that, I just had it sitting on a scrap piece of maple butcher block. Even before that, yes it was sitting on the carpet!

I used 1.5" oak butcher block, and found the 1/8" steel legs on-line, designed for a chair or couch. There are 4 mounting holes per leg which I secured with screws. The feet are threaded which allows adjustment. Eventually I will replace them with spikes.

Leg source please? I like the looks of those a lot better than some others I've used in the past.
124»