Door, meet CD tray

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I tried to find a photo of either of ours -- but they're virtually always open and thus invisible. There's one between the two bookcases in this photo taken late in the construction of the house :p

bk9xy74a03or.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Professor @mhardy6647 do they fit in a normal 2X4 framed wall? I have a couple of candidates for pocket doors as well.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Man, Doc, I thought that phone with the bookcase was going to be, "And here's the next-step mod; Sliding Bookcases."
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Phone?!? Stupid phone! That was supposed to be *photo
    msg wrote: »
    Man, Doc, I thought that phone...

I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I just opened it up and spent 30 mins inspecting the transport, and I don't see anything obviously bent, cracked, or broken. All of the plastic posts that attach the transport to the metal chassis bracket are intact. Literally the only thing I could see that was slightly askew was the right gear that closes the tray.

The tray itself feels like it has more play in it when it's open now, and it still opens and closes more slowly and with a more labored sound than before.

However, I tested it with a small powered speaker and it still functions normally.

So I guess my options are to either do nothing (and be reminded of my flub every time I open and close the tray) or look into replacing the entire transport. Meh.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Here is what I would do. Every time you need to change a CD, you put on noise canceling headphones and a blindfold. Then you don’t need to see or hear it. Just be careful that you don’t drop the CDs. Or knock the CDP off the table.
    :tongue:
  • mhardy6647
    Phone?!? Stupid phone! That was supposed to be *photo
    Man, Doc, I thought that phone...

I thought you were talking about the charming 'cordless' phone in the photo. That phone was a dump find in MA (imagine that!). I installed it at the NH house when we first came "on line" up here so we had some contact with the outside world (essentially no cell coverage up here, and, at that time, the only internet options were DSL or satellite).

The base unit has a decent speakerphone (which I use to this day in my consultant business) but the handsets (all four of them) are all more or less psychotic. :p
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2018
    verb wrote: »
    Professor @mhardy6647 do they fit in a normal 2X4 framed wall? I have a couple of candidates for pocket doors as well.

I think so... gimme a minute.
    :)

EDIT: Well -- both of ours are in 2 x 6 walls, so... I dunno. :/
    Sorry!

One will have to hone one's google-fu to find out, I suppose.
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

I think so... gimme a minute.
    :)

EDIT: Well -- both of ours are in 2 x 6 walls, so... I dunno. :/
    Sorry!

One will have to hone one's google-fu to find out, I suppose.

I am almost positive they can be installed in a 2X4 framed wall. I have one leading into my audio room and it works great. Stays open 99% of the time and is not in the way at all. But allows me to close it when needed. I'll measure tonight when I get home.

You can catch it slightly in the picture below on the right. For once it was closed. It slides back towards the corner shown.

zm09dfdz4wmd.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    My guess is a majority of pocket doors are made to fit in a 2 x 4 (3.5") wall.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Did you count the gears on each side?

Maybe the one side has a gear jump, thus, causing some tension in the action of the mechanism. My brain hurts! :s

Good luck!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    That's a good idea, I'll take a look at that. However, I think if that were the case it wouldn't close flush/evenly which it does.

I guess it's just the angle of one of the gears/motors or other internal components that got bent that's now causing the in/out action to not function as quickly/smoothly.

Anyway, I'm happy that the core functionality of the unit is still intact, as I happen to like the sound of it.

It was a tough lesson, but you know damn well I'll never make this mistake again!
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »
    Did you count the gears on each side?

Maybe the one side has a gear jump, thus, causing some tension in the action of the mechanism. My brain hurts! :s

Good luck!

Such things do happen. I.e., BTDT :/
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »
    My guess is a majority of pocket doors are made to fit in a 2 x 4 (3.5") wall.

I reckon you're correct.

BTW, I did find a photo of the rough construction around one of ours -- finally.
    (and FWIW)

pzmnpo8nt0x9.png
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

pzmnpo8nt0x9.png

2X6 exterior walls . . . Nice!

Sprayed cavities or standard FG?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Viking64
    GlennDog wrote: »
    2X6 exterior walls . . . Nice!

Sprayed cavities or standard FG?

2 x 6 exterior walls, historically referred to as "Arkansas Construction", have been pretty standard for the last 30-40 years throughout the United States. Those 2 x 6 interior walls are way less common.

Wet-spray cellulose is sort of rare, but spray foam walls are becoming more common with many municipalities adopting insulation codes for new construction. The most important aspect of insulating is air-sealing, and spray foam, although rather costly, takes care of that crucial step all at once.
  • mhardy6647
    0aaxxojoazgu.png
    8ykiaoow2tu0.png

I think I/we kinda drifted a little off-topic :p
  • msg
    I think it was right on topic, Doc, showing us how new doors are born, and where we might expect to find them.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    how doors are born... sounds like a Jim Morrison outtake.

B)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    All this talk of building codes and framing photos are getting me all jazzed up! I know that stuff, audio, not so much.

As for the CD tray.....what's a CD tray?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mrbiron wrote: »
    All this talk of building codes and framing photos are getting me all jazzed up! I know that stuff, audio, not so much.

As for the CD tray.....what's a CD tray?
    31829833671_7f4b2e0d8b_b.jpgDSCN5509 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I dunno -- I have a bowl made from a rekkid, maybe a CD tray is similar?

;)

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Hermitism wrote: »
    How's the door?
    When I bought my Pioneer SC-05 off of CL, I drove my Miata to Cincinnati because I needed to burn up the gas that was in it because it was getting old. It's not the most roomy car. I bought the Pio, but it was too tall for the trunk. Too wide for the seat. So I tried sliding it onto the floorboard and a screw head underneath the dash scraped the paint off the top of the Pio. It was very small, but I know it's there. I couldn't decide whether to cry or scream. You should have heard the words that came out of my mouth the entire trip home.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Good to know that a SC-05 doesn't fit in a Miata!
    The seller made fun of me.
    Probably.

He already had my money.
    I don't know why people don't like Miatas. What's not to like about a lightweight, inexpensive, rear wheel drive sports car? I'd like to be able to drive one some day, and the new ones are gorgeous.

This movie didn't help.
    Ribbing aside, celery terms can lead to a bunch of confusion.
    OMG! I completely forgot to ask yesterday... Where's @nbrowser ?

• Clipdat
    edited July 2018
    Per @Tony M's suggestion, I counted the teeth on the underside of the tray with it open, from the point where the "last" tooth was resting in it's drive gear. It's the same on both sides, 53 teeth. So not a skipped gear/tooth as far as I can tell.

I think I'm done futzing with it. I'm just going to use it with it's gimpy CD drawer/tray and get on with life. I'm sure with my luck as soon as I get it back in the rack it'll start having issues reading discs and it'll be time to replace the laser! :)
  • Viking64

In one of dem dare Providences.

tru5ejkxzgcw.gif
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

He left after throwing a fit over nothing.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    F1nut wrote: »
    Maybe I should write a fictional story about it. The Pacific Parrotlet Trilogy.
  • msg
    edited July 2018
    The world just isn't going to drop the i in Canadia, not after all this time, and certainly not until they recall all their geese, crapping everywhere. I don't know why that's so hard to accept.
    Per @Tony M's suggestion, I counted the teeth on the underside of the tray with it open, from the point where the "last" tooth was resting in it's drive gear. It's the same on both sides, 53 teeth. So not a skipped gear/tooth as far as I can tell.

I think I'm done futzing with it. I'm just going to use it with it's gimpy CD drawer/tray and get on with life. I'm sure with my luck as soon as I get it back in the rack it'll start having issues reading discs and it'll be time to replace the laser! :)
    Yeah, figured you'd quit.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    The world just isn't going to drop the i in Canadia, not after all this time, and certainly not until they recall all their geese, crapping everywhere. I don't know why that's so hard to accept.
    I think Ken and I were the only two with long hair on the forum. What if I need advice on some hair product? What if I need advice on what hair gel to buy? Who am I gonna ask now, Tony? He's Italian, he'll make me slick my hair back like a mobster. What about me? What about my needs? I have feelings, too! He didn't even say goodbye. I thought we were tight. What if I need advice on a car? Who's gonna tell me if a particular model is known for problems? What if I have a computer question? If I ask Dan, he'll somehow talk me into buying a Salamander rack that will in no way help with my computer problems. Who's gonna promote Festivus in December? I already miss feeling inferior when Ken constantly brought up how fast his computer is computers are. What if I need help getting to an end of a level in Half-Life 2 or Portal? I miss my buddy.

• Clipdat
    LOL, please Scott. I don't even have a workbench or the technical knowledge to disassemble the transport.

You want me to ship it to you so you can take a look at it?

Or maybe I should just give it away as Karma on here like I do with all my other stuff?
    Yeah, figured you'd quit.