Hitachi W200

deronb1
deronb1 Posts: 5,021
Picked up a refurb for around 40 bucks the other day from Amazon. These retailed for $200.00 in 2015 I believe. Nice sounding bluetooth unit that can also connect to wi-fi. Has real drivers, 2 way xover and 22 watts of class D power. If you are looking for a bedroom, patio or garage unit, it does quite well. Can get to 98db with solid bass. Really nice sounding unit for not a lot of coin.

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited July 2018
    What app do you use for wifi streaming? The hitachi app or the Qualcomm AllPlay app (or have you only used as bluetooth device?)?

Trying to find info, but most is outdated from 2015. Thinking of this for our bedroom, where we don't have room for a real stereo.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • deronb1
    Ive been using as bluetooth only so far. No need to hook into wi-fi. Bluetooth works great with Spotify
  • deronb1
    Did a side by side with my Polk Woodbourne. Although the Woodbourne was superior, it wasn't by as much as I was expecting.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I have never heard of this one. Can you stream via wifi from a nas to it?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • deronb1
    erniejade wrote: »
    I have never heard of this one. Can you stream via wifi from a nas to it?

Yes you can.
  • billbillw
    OK, I decided to grab one and try it out for our bedroom. If I like it, I may get a second one for the back deck.
  • deronb1
    billbillw wrote: »
    OK, I decided to grab one and try it out for our bedroom. If I like it, I may get a second one for the back deck.

Cool. I think you will like the sound. Not sure how easy the wi-fi setup is as I havent tried.
  • billbillw
    deronb1 wrote: »

Cool. I think you will like the sound. Not sure how easy the wi-fi setup is as I havent tried.

I will definitely give it a try since I have a TB or so of FLAC music on the server ready to playback.
  • deronb1
    Did the speaker arrive yet?
  • billbillw
    edited July 2018
    Got it last night. Seller cheaped out and sent it media mail (he is lucky the PO didn't inspect and flag it).

Setup was a bit frustrating, but I eventually got it to work with WiFi. Turns out the Qualcomm AllPlay app is not on the Google Play store anymore. So, I had to use the Hitachi App. It could see my Plex Server and play all the music on there. No artwork, but it works and sounds pretty good for a standalone speaker with 4 little drivers. It definitely filled the bedroom and had decent bass.
    I am a little disappointed in the streaming services offered by the Hitachi App. No Pandora, no iHeart Radio...I didn't look long enough to see if there are any free streaming apps. I will check more tonight and see if there is another app that has it.

Overall, pretty happy with my $38 purchase (I had an eBay bucks coupon). It should work great for the bedroom dresser, back porch, etc. I kinda wish it had a battery option, but given the power output, I can understand why its only AC power.

At this point, I'm not sure if I will get a 2nd one, or just move it between the bedroom and back porch as needed. It doesn't look anywhere near weatherproof, so I don't think its something I want to keep outside. Even though our porch is covered, the Georgia humidity, rain mist, bugs, dryer lint, etc. that builds up on our porch would probably kill it over time.
  • erniejade
    Can it do tidal? Or any online music streaming app? Or basically bluetooth for them?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • deronb1
    I use it with spotify from my phone mostly. Works and sounds pretty good. Also works well with my mini projector using 3.5 mm jack. I think its def worth the price.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Looks like a cool unit!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • deronb1
    Looks like a cool unit!!

Its pretty neat. Ill bring it over sometime.
  • billbillw
    Can it do tidal? Or any online music streaming app? Or basically bluetooth for them?

The Qualcomm page says Tidal is "coming soon", so maybe someday, but I'm not sure I'd count on it. Overall, I think the Qualcomm has kinda moved past this, judging by the lack of an app in the Google Play Store (Hitach has an app, but the Qualcomm app is gone).

The Hitachi app has a slew of streaming apps (for over WiFi), like Spotify, Napster, AllPlay, Rhapsody, and a bunch of others. Not Tidal though. You can play any app you want using Bluetooth (it is 4.0 capable).
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Looks like a cool unit!!

Its pretty neat. Ill bring it over sometime.

Looking forward to it. I just ordered the JBL Flip 4, but needed something that I could put into a water bottle holder on my bycycle. I hope it works for that. I'll be riding in style if so!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • billbillw

The Qualcomm page says Tidal is "coming soon", so maybe someday, but I'm not sure I'd count on it. Overall, I think the Qualcomm has kinda moved past this, judging by the lack of an app in the Google Play Store (Hitach has an app, but the Qualcomm app is gone).

The Hitachi app has a slew of streaming apps (for over WiFi), like Spotify, Napster, AllPlay, Rhapsody, and a bunch of others. Not Tidal though. You can play any app you want using Bluetooth (it is 4.0 capable).

So, I played around with the Hitachi App a little more. Turns out, most of the 'streaming' apps are either not available in the USA, or are just media players. The only real streaming services are Napster (took over Rhapsody) and Spotify (need premium to use in the app over wifi). So, looks like bluetooth for streaming, WiFi for network playback of my FLAC files.
  • erniejade
    Cool. Do you think bubbleUPnp might work with it?
  • billbillw
    Cool. Do you think bubbleUPnp might work with it?

Not familiar with that, but I'm guessing if its running on android, it would work via bluetooth. Not sure otherwise.