Record Cleaning Solution

I have to clean approx 100 vinyl records most of which were purchased in the 70's and 80's and haven't been cleaned since. What is a good and simple cleaning solution to use? I will be using a VPI 16.5 machine.

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    A spin clean would be a good choice, if you can afford the price.
    https://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-STARTER-RECORD-WASHER-SYSTEM/dp/B002UKSZUU
    If that doesn’t work for you, you can use water and a towel, although wait for someone else to tell you how to do that, because I don’t know.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2018
    I like mofi enzyme plus
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    There are some threads on diy solutions over on SteveHoffman, I think. Tergitol, Triton-X, 99% ISO, distilled, etc. I've also read good stuff about L'Art du Son that makes me curious enough about it.

Got any particularly bad build-up?

Micah, the VPI 16.5 is a vacuum cleaning machine with a high-torque spinning platter with a locking nut to hold the record in place on a cork mat. It does what the SpinClean would do, but with manual application of the cleaning solution, and a strong vacuum step for removing the contaminants suspended in the cleaning solution, which the manual immersion cleaners don't offer. (Side note, I've used the Vinyl Styl version of the SpinClean with nice results, but what SGT is asking about is what the vinyl enthusiasts are using for the cleaning solution itself.)
    I disabled signatures.
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    I’ve been using the spin clean first, then this spiffy shop vac attachment: https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Vac-33-Cleaning-Attaches/dp/B014X2SXY0/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531193146&sr=sr-1&keywords=vinyl+vac.
    It’s been working really well.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I think half of the responses are missing the intent of the question - solution as in cleaning liquid, not solution as in cleaning method.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    The spin clean comes with its own solution, Washer Fluid MK3. I have no idea what’s in it, but it does the job.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    msg wrote: »
    There are some threads on diy solutions over on SteveHoffman, I think. Tergitol, Triton-X, 99% ISO, distilled, etc. I've also read good stuff about L'Art du Son that makes me curious enough about it.

Got any particularly bad build-up?

Micah, the VPI 16.5 is a vacuum cleaning machine with a high-torque spinning platter with a locking nut to hold the record in place on a cork mat. It does what the SpinClean would do, but with manual application of the cleaning solution, and a strong vacuum step for removing the contaminants suspended in the cleaning solution, which the manual immersion cleaners don't offer. (Side note, I've used the Vinyl Styl version of the SpinClean with nice results, but what SGT is asking about is what the vinyl enthusiasts are using for the cleaning solution itself.)

Oh, ok then. In that case, my dad has some kind of cleaning solution that comes with a brush, I can go check out what it is for you. But it is something like “Groove Washer”. It works pretty well.
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    I mean't to say cleaning liquid. Sorry for the confusion.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon