Sealing Cabinets

Please forgive what is most likely a really basic question. I'm modding my CRS speakers. The seams on the inside of the cabinet appear well-sealed with a thick layer of glue - except for a very few spots. I'm reluctant to disturb the present sealer, but want to, at least, hit the few spots where the glue doesn't cover both sides of the seam.

Can I put Loctite Power Grab over the existing glue in those spots? Or, might the Loctite affect the integrity of the glue?

Thanks for helping a guy seeing the inside of a speaker cabinet for the first time!

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    If it was me, I would just apply more glue in the spots which are leaky. Or, I would remove the old glue, fully disassemble the cabinet, and then reassemble it, and be generous with the wood glue. Probably neither of these approaches are the best, but both are about where my talent with wood runs out. :wink::lol:
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Use a bead of Loctite Powergrab around the entirety of the internal seams and call it good.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    I have no problem with that. Just didn't know if I could put it over the old glue or needed to chisel it out.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2018
    I would also use Locktite Powergrab along the seams over the old beads after making sure to remove any loose pieces of the existing sealant.

Are you with me Doctor? (sorry had to do that)
    https://youtu.be/RqQqhqbrXhI
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • I'm sure at this point you've already sealed up your CRS's. But I've found using a hair dryer and a putty knife works wonders for removing the old glue. I was able to get all the seams and giant pools of old glue out of my 2B's with little effort.
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Sharp chisel works very well. Do not even need to heat the glue.