Dual CC???

So there's a general consensus that "moar be better" when it comes to subs... Call me a poster child in that regard.

Had another brain glitch just now... Why not dual center channels (above and below a non permiable screen)?? Should that not help to push the imagining to the center of the screen?

Am I just being dumb?

Discuss...

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Is there a receiver or AV processor that is capable of adjusting time delay and frequency contours for two center channel speakers?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    FestYboy wrote: »
    So there's a general consensus that "moar be better" when it comes to subs... Call me a poster child in that regard.

Had another brain glitch just now... Why not dual center channels (above and below a non permiable screen)?? Should that not help to push the imagining to the center of the screen?

Am I just being dumb?

Discuss...

It seems like a nice idea, but you would have phase issues and delay etc. as mentioned above, although with a receiver with something to fix that, I imagine it would work. Of course, I know relatively speaking nothing about HT so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    A simple passive analog delay placed on the lower CC would be easy enough. Once in place there shouldn't be any phase issues at the LP. If using separate amps and a prepro, the lower could have a DSP in line to account for a delay...

Making it work isn't an issue as much as why it should or shouldn't be done ( to me anyway).

If using an AT screen, it becomes a moot point as you can stick a monster CC right behind the center of the screen and that sets/anchors your image right where it's supposed to be.

This is a thought experiment to deal with a relatively common issue in nearly all HTs... There's only one CC and it's usually stuck BELOW the tv. That skews the image closer to the floor where it doesn't belong.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I've seen it done before. Just haven't been more impressed than just having one suitably sized center channel speaker in place and set up optimally. The systems I have seen with two center channels are usually where someone has two speakers and figures "Hey why not try this?" The single speaker can be angled up to point towards the ear level in the primary listening area. The single center channel speaker should still be positioned as close as possible to the screen. Using a good calibration system will make the speaker blend seamlessly with the main speakers and if done correctly will anchor dialog between the main speakers.

To me, having one center speaker above and one below does not address the core concern which seems to be not having voices appear to come from the center of a screen. Having two actually makes things worse. Using two speakers to try to produce an identical mono signal at the same time from different locations one on top of another is very difficult, if not impossible, to do well in a home theater system without having a very sophisticated DSP controlled system. There are other issues with trying to use two center speakers at the same time and a pretty basic explanation is here...

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/dual-center-channel-speaker-setup

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited July 2018
    Had a dual center channel setup for years, loved it. Simple parallel configuration

I don't have the system anymore but to this day, never heard a better front stage for theater

ou8g7uxbkzsa.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.