What newer speakers are better than Polk RT3000p Towers?

I bought a set of Polk RT3000p towers last winter($200 for both) with both plate amps not working. After sending them to Polk for repair, which was an absolute nightmare, they finally came back working and sound fantastic. After dealing with Polk(in CA) I wasn’t keen on keeping these in case something else broke and I would be forced to work with them again. Also, the spare parts are sooo expensive! I began to look for newer speakers that compared to the rt3000’s but nothing seems to even come close. I believe I lucked out and only have about $550 into these so my expectations on spending that much (or even double) for new speakers with similar quality in audio is probably totally off. I was wondering if I could pick yalls brains on this topic. If I’ve broken any forum rules, I apologize. I am new to the forum. Thank you!

Best Answers

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Answer ✓
    Welcome to the forum,
    Listen for $550 the RT3000p's can't be beat. There is no new speaker you can pick up that will even come close. I think you need to check out the retail price and learn you got a steal even if you have to repair them again. The RT3000p's where the very best version of the RT series by a long shot.
    Now with that being said they are not the best sounding under $4000.00 speaker you can buy today. I know you said spending double on what you paid is out of the question but understand you will need to spend at least $2000.00 for a main pair of powered tower speakers to compete or better them. Definitive Technology would be what I would replace them with despite your budget. The BP9060's would be the cheapest pair that would better them for all kinds of reasons. They retail for around $2200.00 a pair. The high end of the 9060 is smoother and more detailed. Clearer mid range and tighter bass. They completely out perform the RT3000p's in my opinion in all ways.
    So as you can see the RT3000p's are a mad deal at $550 and the dealing with polk which usually is a excellent experience. Many of us in here have been here and used polk's for decades and had very good customer service. Your dealing with a way out of production speaker and the fact polk can still repair them in my opinion is outstanding.
    I don't think you would have any issues flipping the RT3000p's for $550.00 or more depending on condition. The entire RT5000 series home theater package is one of polks best ever. Do you have the center and surrounds?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Answers

• sdouglas
    sdouglas Posts: 8
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you're looking for higher fidelity in the current Polk lineup, the LSiM 705 is your huckleberry.

You didn't state what gear you're using now, if it's consumer grade the 705's need better.

Thank you for your suggestion. By “gear”, I am guessing what receiver am I using? I’m using a lower end Onkyo SR 353 with 140 watts per channel.
  • sdouglas
    mantis wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum,
    Listen for $550 the RT3000p's can't be beat. There is no new speaker you can pick up that will even come close. I think you need to check out the retail price and learn you got a steal even if you have to repair them again. The RT3000p's where the very best version of the RT series by a long shot.

So as you can see the RT3000p's are a mad deal at $550 and the dealing with polk which usually is a excellent experience. Many of us in here have been here and used polk's for decades and had very good customer service. Your dealing with a way out of production speaker and the fact polk can still repair them in my opinion is outstanding.
    I don't think you would have any issues flipping the RT3000p's for $550.00 or more depending on condition. The entire RT5000 series home theater package is one of polks best ever. Do you have the center and surrounds?

That is exactly the info I was trying to get. Thank you so much for explaining it in detail. I definitely don’t have the budget to replace the Polk RT3000’s then! I had hoped my less than favorable dealings with Polk was a one time deal. Glad to hear it’s not the norm. I am very much a beginner when it comes to “hi-if” or what I believe hi-fi to be lol. Thanks again for the words of wisdom. I will enjoy what I have and try to learn more about this never ending quest for the next best speaker;) take care
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    sdouglas wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you're looking for higher fidelity in the current Polk lineup, the LSiM 705 is your huckleberry.

You didn't state what gear you're using now, if it's consumer grade the 705's need better.

Thank you for your suggestion. By “gear”, I am guessing what receiver am I using? I’m using a lower end Onkyo SR 353 with 140 watts per channel.

Need to step up the game on your power source, Polks are hungry for current. Look into getting external amplification for the front 3 channels of your HT, using the Onkyo as a preamp.
  • sdouglas
    Thank you all for the answers. It’s great to draw from the wealth of knowledge here. I am quite restricted in the way of a budget and what I have far exceeds my expectations. I don’t have the matching surrounds(I have some Polk OWB3’s) but I am not at the point where I could appreciate a matching set. I hope you don’t scoff at me but when I tell you I am a beginner, I really mean it. Please don’t think you’re wasting your time on me because I appreciate yalls input. Thanks again.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    http://www.onhifi.com/product/polk_rt3000p.htm

You got a great deal on them. Hard to quantify, used prices on speakers with new speaker prices.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    DtxBigRed wrote: »
    I have a pair of RT3000 that are in mint condition if your still looking for them

Normally I would report your posts for trying to skirt the selling rules here, but I no longer care.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• @DtxBigRed you are not allowed to se on this forum until you have reached 100 posts. Helps to weed out the crooks and such.
  • Ok dude, so first I'm getting really tired of you guys and this crap. I didnt list them for sale or even put a price on them. I simply said I have a set available in response to this discussion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with throwing a comment and a few pic out there on a discussion about the exact speakers I have. Which is not a set that you can find very often. Especially in such great condition. You people need to chill out. It's not like I just made this account the other day just to sell speakers
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2019
    DtxBigRed wrote: »
    Ok dude, so first I'm getting really tired of you guys and this crap. I didnt list them for sale or even put a price on them. I simply said I have a set available in response to this discussion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with throwing a comment and a few pic out there on a discussion about the exact speakers I have. Which is not a set that you can find very often. Especially in such great condition. You people need to chill out. It's not like I just made this account the other day just to sell speakers

you have a set available? For what?

We have had a slew of folks dragging up old threads and trying to sell by stating there are "available" and "shoot me your best offer" regardless how long you have been a member you must have 100 posts to sell. By not putting a price and saying they were available you looked as if you were trying to ignore the rules.

not to mention it was removed by the mods so they as well came to the same conclusion.
    stick around get in on the conversations it a fun place.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/98162/before-you-post-read-this#latest
  • Looking for Rt3000p powered subwoofer bases