41 posts to go to 10,000

2»

Comments

• daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 619
    BlueFox wrote: »
    ...So, at some point I adopted my current name, based on my car at the time, a 1987 VW Fox, which was blue...

Lol - my first car was a red ‘74 Audi Fox. It was sitting dead beside the house, and I was told it was mine if I could get it running. A new carb and a valve job, and I had a car. That was 1986.

Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,572
    I'll gladly give you another 10,000 of mine if I don't have to own up to them anymore.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,211
    BlueFox wrote: »
    24 to go if I did the math right. I should do this next weekend since I ordered 3 MQA encoded CDs and they should be here by Friday, and then I can post my opinion of MQA. :)

Is your cdp or dac MQA certified ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,017
    Tony, this is a great experiment. I have the Japanese SACDs for Exile On Main Street and Wheels Of Fire, so I will be able to compare the SACD to the ‘better’ CD. Then I can rip the MQA CDs, and play full MQA through the Lumin. At that point, I should be able to speak about MQA with experience.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    But are those pieces MQA certified Bud ? An MQA CD is no different than an MQA file, you can't hear that format playing it on a regular CDP/SACD player.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    I know that. That is why I will rip the files (as I do all CDs), and play it through the Lumin, which is MQA certified.

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    Can you rip an MQA CD ? I don't really know. Seems to me there would be some sort of copy protection.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Found that answer, guess your good to go Bud.

My question is, can an MQA encoded CD be ripped and still retain all of the MQA information? If you can, would it be possible to use any software (I use JRiver Media Center and Roon) to send the files to an MQA enabled DAC and have it work? Herb didn't say what CD player he was using but I'm not aware of any special "MQA enabled" CD players so I'm guessing the MQA digital stream itself isn't encoded in some special way?

Yes. Yes. MQA CD has MQA metadata and hi-res data folded and embedded in the noise. I've successfully tested a ripped track of a Japan demo MQA CD and played it on Lumin network player, with MQA decoding working as expected.

If you use Roon to send MQA music to a USB MQA DAC without DSP / volume change / grouped playback, it should work. If you use Roon to send MQA music to a Roon Ready MQA player, at the time of this post only Lumin works (as far as I know). The other manufacturers which support both RAAT for Roon and MQA but not together are working on firmware upgrade to enable MQA over RAAT.

If you do not have a MQA DAC, you can use Audirvana to decode the ripped MQA CD to MQA Core
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    I received a notice that the CDs shipped yesterday, and there is a 3-6 day shipping window from Japan. I do hope they arrive by Friday so I can evaluate them this weekend.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,984
    man, it used to be so easy...

25909398532_69cc0cbde4_b.jpgOptimus Pioneer cassette deck by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,027
    Are we there yet?
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,509
    Hey Bud are you going to plan your 10,000 post to coincide with a Bluefox kind of Friday night? If so, at the rate you're going it might not be till the end of the month. ;)
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,509
    4 to go. You gonna getr dun today?
    Probably not, you're probably throwing back some cold ones on a warm Friday night listening some tunes. :D
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
2»