Schiit Modi Help

alucididea
alucididea Posts: 113
edited June 2018 in Electronics
So, I’ve got this older Schiit Modi (1) that I use with one of my auxiliary stereos. It sounds fine when it has a signal. But as soon as my airport express stops giving it a signal, I start to hear a hum from my stereo. Is this being caused by some sort of ground loop in the AE or maybe in the Modi? I don’t get it when I just use analogue out from the AE, which makes me think it’s the Modi...

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Could be numerous issues for ground loop hum. The socket it's plugged into, the quality of the RCA's your using, the power cord. Sometimes just having too many things plugged into the same socket, a cable tv box in the loop.

Never had a Dac that gave off a hum, so I would look elsewhere first. Try plugging it into a different wall socket or changing out RCA's first.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    @alucididea - you ever get this sorted out?
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    Clipdat wrote: »
    @alucididea - you ever get this sorted out?
    Not really. Both the integrated amp and the Modi were on the Furman power conditioner when it was making noise. I’ve been meaning to try a different set of interconnects to see if that’s the problem. But no set of cables produces the noise I’m hearing.