Polk psw505 tweaking

Polk psw505 port noise!
So I have a decent theater room all setup. Room size is 16 x 25. I am currently running Polk monitor 60s for my fronts , Polk monitor cs2 as my center , Polk monitor 40s for front height , Polk monitor 40s for rears , and two Polk psw505 subs all powerd by a Denon avr s920w. I love it . But my issue is I watched mad Max fury road last night which was amazing but there were times where my subs port noise made me feel like I had cheap subs. Was curious how i can fix this without loosing performance. My subs are roughly 2 feet from the back wall. Which made a difference in performance but I need that noise to stop. Any ideas? Should I set fronts to large and adjust the crossover differently so I can turn the volume down a tad on the sub?

My subs are currently set up with the following.
Crossover set to 120 because of lfe (lfe+main on amp) volume is set right in the middle.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Crossover to subs set at 80Hz, all speakers set to small.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    You also have to consider the PSW505 has a -3dB point of 35 Hz, which means you are missing a lot of the LFE track in movies. It also means the sub cannot handle those low frequencies, so what you describe as port noise is likely to have been the woofers bottoming out.

Bottom line, you need better subs.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Please explain the -3db point @ 35hz .
  • F1nut
    It means the sub has no worthwhile output below 35Hz. Ideally, for a HT sub you'd like to be close to 20Hz.

President of Club Polk

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited July 2018
    I have a psw505 and like F1nut said above, it leaves a lot to be desired as far as HT. I also run my crossover set to 80Hz like he recommends. I use to have Monitor S60's and a cs2 center also, but didn't have a surround setup. I tried higher crossover settings up to 100Hz and it didn't sound as good as it did at 80Hz.

I hopefully plan to upgrade my sub by the end of the year and sell my psw505.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • It sounds amazing set at 120hz until it drops and the port noise is awful. Sadly I just purchased a second psw505 . I was debating between a second one 505 or buying the Bic pl200-ii. Now I'm left wondering if I should just return this sub and look for something that will hit the lows properly. I did however set the sub to 80hz and watched mad Max fury road again and there was a huge difference. The port noise was non existent however the punch I had before just wasn't there.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    polk4liffe wrote: »
    It sounds amazing set at 120hz until it drops and the port noise is awful. Sadly I just purchased a second psw505 . I was debating between a second one 505 or buying the Bic pl200-ii. Now I'm left wondering if I should just return this sub and look for something that will hit the lows properly. I did however set the sub to 80hz and watched mad Max fury road again and there was a huge difference. The port noise was non existent however the punch I had before just wasn't there.

As already stated, the port noise was because you were asking the sub to do more than what it's capable of.

Also, make sure your either using the crossover on the back of the sub, or the one in the receiver, not both. If your using the one in the receiver, turn the one on the back of the sub to it's highest value.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/polk-psw-505-subwoofer-4-2005.html

Test bench measurements has in -3@35hz, but in room basically flat to 25hz. Obviously ones room will make a bi difference, but two should give you decent output in the mid 20s. But crossing over at 120 is asking way too much, and the lfe in that movie is intense and low. The combination equals bad sounds...

If you can return it, do so and save up for an SVS or HSU.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer