New Family Member

Options
scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
Meet Iggy “Chicken Noodle”. Don’t know where my kids come up with names...

wwcm0isyqr8e.jpeg
8bnto1mbrcfw.jpeg

Never realized how personable Cockatiels were! This little guy is a little over two months old, was hand raised by a wonderful breeder in our area, and absolutely loves to be on you.

He is our daughter Katie’s birthday gift. We were reluctant, but it’s the only gift she’s ever really asked for. Picked him out about a month ago and brought him home last night. He’s pretty cool!

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Hey Iggy, welcome to the forum. Always loved birds except when they p oop on your shoulder, or bed.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Be careful of teflon pans. Some birds are very susceptible to DEATH from something they give off from cooking...

At least that is what a vet told a good friend of mine caused his birds death.

Birds are cool I once raised a baby Crow. Loved that thing I will have another someday. Step outside yelled FRANK and here he came great fun!!
  • scubalab
    Options
    The breeder also had a few Caiques that were born around the same time. They were a lot more expensive, but man did they have awesome personalities! They would fight over which one would climb up in my hand and play. They were such clowns - just like puppies!

We seriously considered one, even for the hefty price tag, but my daughter wanted a tiel and fell in love with this little guy the second she held him last month. He stepped onto her hand, climbed up her arm, nuzzled into her hair, chirped, and p00ped on her - it was meant to be!
  • scubalab
    Options
    Ivan - we did hear that. I guess there is something in Teflon that can kill them if you overheat the pan (makes you feel real good about eating food cooked in one!) He will be upstairs, about as far away from the kitchen as can be!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Hey Iggy, welcome to the forum. Always loved birds except when they p oop on your shoulder, or bed.

Or a freshly washed and waxed black car...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    ... as long as I am disinterring avian-themed Far Side cartoons...

wscgdis63rkd.png

58hcr7e3t2fu.png

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Ivan - we did hear that. I guess there is something in Teflon that can kill them if you overheat the pan (makes you feel real good about eating food cooked in one!) He will be upstairs, about as far away from the kitchen as can be!
    Al, I think maybe you guys should move the kitchen upstairs and keep Iggy downstairs. Just less chance of anything teflon-y rising.

Will it be weird to eat eggs now?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    So birds only die when you fry them in Teflon pans, not old fashioned iron skillets? What about microwave ovens? I'm just messin' with you... cool looking bird. You should mate it with Ken's Pacific Parrotlet and come up with some sort of Pacific Cockatiel hybrid. Anyone heard from nbrowser lately?
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    Does Iggy “Chicken Noodle” sit on your shoulder and pull the cork out of a bottle of wine aka Jimmy Buffett?

The vet clinic where I take my cats has a large bird in the reception area. He loves to mimic the loud screams of the scared cats.

https://youtu.be/LBAeuZ_lpr8
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Nice! I love birds, except for my grandmas that somehow learned a bunch of curse words long before he ever even came to us. I distinctly remember driving home in the car from the store, and him screaming one in our ears. :#
    Have fun with yours! And don’t let him learn the fowl language :lol::#
    Micah
  • msg
    Options
    lol, Micah, just where exactly do you think it learned those words? lol
    I disabled signatures.
  • mlistens03
    edited June 2018
    Options
    msg wrote: »

I have no clue it was saying them before we got him. I don’t curse at all, I just feel it isn’t necessary.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »

I have no clue it was saying them before we got him. I don’t curse at all, I just feel it isn’t necessary.

My wife doesn't say foul words either. My wife has only cursed in front of me maybe 2 or 3 times in 27 years.

You wouldn't have wanted to be around me and my Tv during these FBI and DOJ congressional hearings they've broadcast in the past few months. Yesterday was the worst. I'm kind of glad they only broadcasted 1/2 of it. I was about to bust a vein! :#

I now let the steam out pretty fast in my old age. ;):D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • scubalab
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    And don’t let him learn the fowl language :lol::#
    Micah
    I see what you did there... ;)
    Al, I think maybe you guys should move the kitchen upstairs and keep Iggy downstairs. Just less chance of anything teflon-y rising.

Will it be weird to eat eggs now?
    You know, Scott, our kitchen used to be on the second floor, but we moved it downstairs about 15 years ago. NOW you tell me this...
  • msg
    Options
    ^^^ lol
    Hey at least you're not Micah finding out that his beloved Grandmother had an alternate life with a potty mouth.

Talking birds are Analog Alexa. Watch yourselves!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    My Mom raised a couple Cockatiels. Maybe a parakeet and a Cockatiel. The 2 birds gave her AND my Dad a lot of fun. Mom taught the birds to talk too. Mom would let them out in the evenings and sure enough, they loved to sit on their shoulders and nibble their ears and pick at their hair a little.

Nancy and I love birds A LOT, I think we've had the most broods from all kinds of birds nesting in our boxes and trees this year, B) but I think our house is too small to have one for a pet. Heck, I'd probably freeze one to death with how cool I like to keep the house. OH YEA, the words the birds would learn from me while watching the news would be bad! We could say a Sailor had the birds first I guess. :D

I made a delivery to a guy who had a huge room 18x30, I guess, with a cathedral ceiling and he raised parrots and bread them for sale. All that was in that room were those huge cages and nothing else except food and a few things for what ever was nessasary. No human furniture at all. I was impressed! It was very clean and he had tree branch stands outside just off of that room for the birds to perch on so they could get fresh air and sunlight. He had about 5 or 7 BIG Parrots I think. The birds looked happy and healthy!

Yes, they talked. All clean words too. :D

I thought about getting one and having it out in the cottage but my health went south just as I was thinking about it. I had space galore back then. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I've always thought it was strange to keep something that flies in a cage where it cannot fly.
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah. I say let it out of the cage, and get one of those RC helicopters or a drone to patrol the house and keep the birds in line. For ground patrol, a coupla iRobot Roombas maybe?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Yeah. I say let it out of the cage, and get one of those RC helicopters or a drone to patrol the house and keep the birds in line. For ground patrol, a coupla iRobot Roombas maybe?

What could possibly go wrong?

;)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Nice bird! We used to have a blue amazon and african grey back in the day.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Meet Iggy “Chicken Noodle”. Don’t know where my kids come up with names...

I love the name! Congrats on the new addition. Great looking bird. I can't remember if your girls saw ours when you all were here either time? He's a white faced (or pearl) grey cockatiel. I came up with his name, Zane, from a recollection of the actual full name of the American author known as Zane Grey which is Pearl Zane Gray. I grew up reading his dime store western novels. :)

y3j0f36xdmeo.jpg

We used to keep his wings clipped but, after watching how much he enjoys flying one time when we let them grow a little long, we discontinued that. We let him fly around inside the pool enclosure regularly and that's where his cage is kept. He enjoys singing with all the native birds in the trees around us in the morning and often tries to mimic their calls.

Enjoy, and happy birthday to Katie!

• scubalab
    Options
    Hey Mike! We didn’t meet Zane either time we were there. Beautiful bird! Katie says thank you for the birthday wishes. We may try letting Iggy’s main flight feathers go and see how he does flying. He’s really very tame and absolutely loves being held. He’s out of his cage almost all the time and likes to go inside when he’s tired. He’s also very quiet. Only chirped a handful of times - hasn’t found his ‘song’ yet.

Ken - we loved the Monty Python clip!!
  • msg
    Options
    cqx242g8dy2a.png
    haha, that was great - too many funny bits to list.
    A palindrommmme? It's not a palindrommme. The palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob. It don't wuhhk!

I disabled signatures.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

What could possibly go wrong?

;)

Is it a Monoprice helicopter? :tongue:
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Congrats on the new Family member Al!

I grew up with many parakeets and others as my parents raise them for awhile 1 in 20 was super smart and loved being with humans :)

P.s. I lost my Half-moon Conure Parrot named Sam and my cockatiel "Fred" when my brother put some hot dogs in a Teflon pan and let it boil dry :(

found them both dead at the bottom of the cage. so its very true!
    lcqc3njle1hq.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    Welcome "Chicken Noodle"! Could be worse, like Ivan. ;)