Audioquest Type 2 speaker cable review

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
This might be the quickest I've ever reviewed something after it's arrived, but my experience was so vivid that I don't feel a need to wait.

I ordered a 4' pins/spades terminated pair of AQ Type 2 SC from Audio Advisor for $50: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT2NF

It fit my termination requirement of pins for the amp's spring clips, was inexpensive, but was still a step up in from the standard 14ga OFC Monoprice wire I was using for my Polk Audio Blackstone TL3 computer speakers.

As usual AA processed and shipped my order promptly. These cables are terminated in house and they were the cheapest custom terminated cables that didn't use regular stranded OFC copper wire that I could find.

Instead, they use 4 individually insulated solid long grain copper wires, twisted in a star pattern. Two each for positive and negative. Workmanship on the terminations seem clean to me, with a little bit of excess solder visible on the spades. I'd wager that more is better than less though in this situation.

AAQTYPE2.jpg

aqt2nf_bw-LARGE.jpg

1dudh3ribkfa.jpg

nzad0dv0z03z.jpg

59o1dh7siqt0.jpg

Bonus pic. Hate spring clips and how either bare wire or pins are the only option with them. This just makes me nervous:

03zeaofmtzq4.jpg

Moving on to how they sound! I had been using the standard 14ga wire since I got the TL3s so I had a good idea of what they offered. I always thought it sounded "just fine" and was doing justice to the TL3s. Well, I was wrong.

I hooked up the Type 2 cables and from the very first song I played, I noticed a difference in the way things were sounding. The most noticeable change was an effortless, smooth, and elegant quality that the sound had. The speakers were putting out a more cohesive soundstage, and stereo imaging was noticeably improved. I love the sensation of a nice thick stereo image, when it feels like the sound is whipping past and over your ears.

Information within songs was being presented differently. I can best describe it as a smoothness and grace that wasn't there before. In some songs, certain elements/instruments popped in and actually startled me because I hadn't heard them featured like that before. The clarity was literally surprising to me.

I can't adequately describe the feeling I now get when listening. It just sounds better. It's more enjoyable. I realize that technically that is a completely vague and subjective statement, but it's the honest truth.

These Audioquest Type 2 cables would be an excellent choice for someone looking to upgrade from standard 12-16ga stranded copper wire. As long as you have a decent set of ears, I don't see how you could NOT hear a difference. It's of course up to you to decide if that difference is "better" to you.

Overall I think that the Type 2 represents a great value, and with the nice termination options offered as well as the relatively inexpensive price, you'd be wise to give these a try if you're still using bare wire.

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good job. You are going down a slippery path. Enjoy. B)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Haha, I'm already down it. I already have Audioquest Bedrock SCs on my serious rig, soon to be MIT Terminator 2s.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Good job. You are going down a slippery path. Enjoy. B)

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Nice review, Drew. I got into some reading a while back on AudioQuest cables, designs and cable theory. They have a good bit of technical documentation on their site. Interesting.

Though I've never done it, I heard you could snip those pins if you prefer them shorter. I thought the indents were more to provide backup against slipping. I'd wonder whether snipping them could be detrimental somehow, with respect to exposing the core material and compromising the plating.

Another idea would be to get some skinny heatshrink to slide up and heat down to cover the exposed pin section past the indent(s) you'll use. I'd personally leave at least two indents to use.

Support the cables if you can. I use velcro ties to secure heavy cables to a rack, cabinet or stand to provide a bit a of strain relief at the connections.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Just goes to show ya don't have to spend big bucks on cables to get better sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    Your review reminds me of how I feel sometimes when something new is introduced into the system....hearing something in a "different way". Many times I play the track again just to be sure I actually heard what I heard in the way that I heard it.....if that makes any sense at all!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for the ideas, Scott. I had heard that as well that you can break/cut pins to shorten them. For now I'll let it ride as is and see how it goes. Should be fine as long as my cat doesn't go back there, which he usually never does! Somehow I got lucky and found the one cat in the world that doesn't shred the toilet paper roll or bite on cables.

The cables themselves are actually pretty light and flexible, so I routed them in such a way where they are somewhat being cradled by adjacent cables. There's little to no pressure or strain being placed on the spring clip terminals. And, like you suggested, I tried to let the spring clips "bite" onto the small indents/valleys to hopefully secure them further.
    msg wrote: »
    Support the cables if you can. I use velcro ties to secure heavy cables to a rack, cabinet or stand to provide a bit a of strain relief at the connections.

• Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Clipdat wrote: »

Bonus pic. Hate spring clips and how either bare wire or pins are the only option with them. This just makes me nervous:

03zeaofmtzq4.jpg

I know the spring clips grab the indent on the pins but, that photo makes me cringe!
    Nice review.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    These cables look very nice! I think these will be the top option when I get my gear sold. Good review as well!
    Micah
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I am running type 8, have tried/have others but keep coming back to these.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Anyone have comparison between these and the Furez wire that Doug sells? I have the 10g (due to longer runs) and enjoy it quite a bit. Specifically the FZ102AS wire.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    zuul wrote: »
    I use AQ type 4 in my rig. best cables I've heard... would take a lot for me to consider switching....
    What you get when you move up the ladder is small changes and differences. You end up spending a ton of money for little gains. I studied the line and tried everyone up to the Rocket 44. I stopped at Rocket 44 and wired my entire system with it.
    The Type 4 speaker cable is an outstanding cable.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    mantis wrote: »
    I use AQ type 4 in my rig. best cables I've heard... would take a lot for me to consider switching....
    What you get when you move up the ladder is small changes and differences. You end up spending a ton of money for little gains. I studied the line and tried everyone up to the Rocket 44. I stopped at Rocket 44 and wired my entire system with it.

One of these days when I'm bored, I'll listen to 3 different AQ cables.

AQ type 4
    AQ Aspen
    AQ Wel

contrast as compare.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Great post....as I have been looking to change out my 14awg Monster cable in my family room rig.
    How flexible is the cable overall? How close to a 90 degree bend you think you could get without jacking up the solid wires?
  • msg
    I heard you're supposed to work any sharp bendy areas back and forth quickly at least 100 times to break it in and make it easier to work with. You'll know you're there when the cable bends easily on its own.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I tried to let the spring clips "bite" onto the small indents/valleys to hopefully secure them further.
    Yeah, I think whenever I've used these, with vintage receivers, for example, I've tried to get them in at least two indents. I noticed that some connectors have a bottom, while others seem open ended inside. Probably important to note on the open bottomed ones that inserting pin connectors all the way may not be the best idea if you can't see what's going on inside. I'd wonder whether it would be possible to cross the pins resulting in a spot of trouble.

nrlafke4284a.gif

I disabled signatures.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Interesting thread!

I was also looking at the Audioadvisor site and see they have Audioquest type 4's for about twice price of the 2's. You can get a 10 ft pair with their "no frills" terminations for $119. Not a bad deal since just buying the bare wire is the same price.

audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT4NF&opt=475|492|494|501

You can also get the type 4's factory terminated by Audioquest with the fancy braided sheath and (presumably) better connectors. They look great but the price goes up fast......a 10 ft pair is $280.

audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT4&opt=1160|1167|1169|1172

I assume the wire part will sound the same ugly/plain or fancy/sheathed. But are the better connectors worth $160?

• kevhed72
    The AQ "finished" cable look super nice but IMO way too pricey unless money is no object. Im basically wining becasue all the Type 4s on flea bay are somewhat outrageous price wise for used speaker cables.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    has anyone tried audioquest gbc sspeaker acbles from hcm audio?

https://hcmaudio.com/products/audioquest-gbc-speaker-cable-full-range-pair
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    The AQ "finished" cable look super nice but IMO way too pricey unless money is no object. Im basically wining becasue all the Type 4s on flea bay are somewhat outrageous price wise for used speaker cables.

Pricey ? What's your idea of pricey ? Because you can buy some AQ type 4's straight from BestBuy for a tad over 100 bucks.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-8-type-4-speaker-cable-blue-black/9892721.p?skuId=9892721
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    Im cheap and dont want to spend that much for my 2nd system....thats all. I had a pair of type 4s I scored for like 100 bucks used awhile ago and like a fool sold them.
  • tonyb
    edited June 2018
    By any measure, I don't think 100-150 bucks is pricey...for any system. Just sayin'.

Your system, be it the 1st/2nd/or 3rd, is only going to be as good as the weakest link. Don't make cables that weak link is all I'm sayin' and a tad over 100 bucks is totally reasonable.

Cheap is relative...my outdoor speakers have cheap cables. Still, they are AQ cables.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_703X250W/AudioQuest-X2-Speaker-Cable-50-feet-White.html?tp=588&awkw=75643972945&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47692541425&awdv=c&awug=9021493&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuc3cstL82wIVisDACh0dFw7KEAQYASABEgLuL_D_BwE

100 bucks for a 50 ft. roll and they sound way better than the crap I had in there which were comparable to monoprice cabling. For 50 ft of cable though, too much higher up the ladder will cost ya a fortune.

For 8-10 ft though, spend the coin. Not like anyone has to eat spam for a month.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    marvda1 wrote: »
    has anyone tried audioquest gbc sspeaker acbles from hcm audio?

https://hcmaudio.com/products/audioquest-gbc-speaker-cable-full-range-pair

HCM Audio is legit. I've bought many Audioquest items from them.
  • mantis
    Great post....as I have been looking to change out my 14awg Monster cable in my family room rig.
    How flexible is the cable overall? How close to a 90 degree bend you think you could get without jacking up the solid wires?
    Not a good idea to bend a 90 degree angle in a cable my friend especially solid core cables. You can break or at minimum restrict signal flow.
    14g Monstercable is stranded but you still shouldn't bend it at 90 degrees. Soft bend work much better.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Joey_V wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »

One of these days when I'm bored, I'll listen to 3 different AQ cables.

AQ type 4
    AQ Aspen
    AQ Wel

contrast as compare.
    I've been doing this for decades. Swapping out cables and listening to the differences between them is fun, annoying , frustrating when the cables you think should be better and are not, also when you find cables you really like for the reasons other then sound quality can also get very frustrating.
    The magic with audioquest is that they build all their cables from the entry level models to the Wel's. You get a beautiful sounding system no matter what you spend on the cables. The gains you get are small as you go up the ladder and on many more entry systems you can't even hear any differences anyway because the system can't revel that level of clarity. It's like putting Perelli High end High speed tires on a car that can't reach the speed rating or handling abilities. Matching the correct tire to the car is key for not wasting money or products with no benefits to given situation.

So testing type 4 vs Well the system would have to be very high end to hear the differences. I would never buy We level cables for my system as it doesn't have that kind of detail and clarity.
    I find figuring out what level is appropriate makes the most value for a given system. Just because a cable is technically better then another in a given system you might not be able to hear those differences.
    I really learned this not just from my own trials and errors but from learning from the Engineers who design the gear and cables we love.

Have fun and do it sooner then later unless you don't want to give up a TON of your free time being a NUT like me. I probably should be locked away in a mental ward for the amount of time I spent testing cables LOL.
    Dan
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    tonyb wrote: »

Pricey ? What's your idea of pricey ? Because you can buy some AQ type 4's straight from BestBuy for a tad over 100 bucks.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-8-type-4-speaker-cable-blue-black/9892721.p?skuId=9892721

Best Buy confused me too. I was ready to get out my credit card till I realized that was for one cable. The "plain" Audioadvisor cable is for a pair (which is useful if you have a stereo).

I assume they sound the same.

• Hi...I went for some monster speaker wire 50 ft. they had on sale for 19.99. A great price imo from a known brand. They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest. 100 bucks for the audioquest 30 feet and 20 for the monster 50 ft. So I said I will be back. lol. I will go pickup the monster Friday. Thanks guys. I don't see who cable could make that big a difference. Why buy expensive speakers if a brand of speaker wire would make such a huge difference.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Excellent insight
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    JewelHanda wrote: »
    Hi...I went for some monster speaker wire 50 ft. they had on sale for 19.99. A great price imo from a known brand. They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest. 100 bucks for the audioquest 30 feet and 20 for the monster 50 ft. So I said I will be back. lol. I will go pickup the monster Friday. Thanks guys. I don't see who cable could make that big a difference. Why buy expensive speakers if a brand of speaker wire would make such a huge difference.
    For $20 the Monster cable is a steal. Monster makes excellent cables BUT a lot of their cables are focus and voiced to have strong bass. They do this by reducing the mid's and high's slightly to give the perception of more bass when actually it's just less mid and high range. This is a dirty secret in the cable market. What these cable companies do( Minus a very small few) all do this to some extent especially ones with network bricks inline. You will see audioquest put batteries on their cables, totally not necessary especially on systems that get a lot of use. The idea behind the battery is to keep the insulation charged so it doesn't pull any signal away from the signal path. The amount of time this takes on a system that has been off and doesn't have batteries is milliseconds. I use all audioquest cables but do not purchase nonsense like the battery cables.

Dan
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited December 2019
    Dan, your knowledge about cables is laughable, so I laughed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    JewelHanda wrote: »
    Hi...I went for some monster speaker wire 50 ft. they had on sale for 19.99. A great price imo from a known brand. They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest. 100 bucks for the audioquest 30 feet and 20 for the monster 50 ft. So I said I will be back. lol. I will go pickup the monster Friday. Thanks guys. I don't see who cable could make that big a difference. Why buy expensive speakers if a brand of speaker wire would make such a huge difference.

Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk