Carver 4.0t
18%
treitz3trav0810daddyjtmpitogo 4 votes
Acurus A250
31%
MrBuhllightman1ConradicleserniejadeEndersShadowboston1450ZLTFUL 7 votes
Parasound 2250 v2
45%
steveinazcfrizzgeorge danielaiconnNotaSuvpitdogg2sgtmick63chumlieClipdatMikey081057 10 votes
Adcom GFA555 mkll
4%
Viking64 1 vote

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    None of the above is not a choice...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2018
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Acurus A250

I beg to differ on your first statement, John. Take into consideration the allowed budget. Then maybe ask what other gear is upstream and downstream. Ask before you judge.... Then offer guidance.
  • lightman1
    Acurus A250
    Dang it! You said "not" a choice.... I'll show myself out...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Acurus A250
    lightman1 wrote: »

I beg to differ on your first statement, John. Take into consideration the allowed budget. Then maybe ask what other gear is upstream and downstream. Ask before you judge.... Then offer guidance.

Holy crap! Wisdom from Russ...

Like manna from heaven, happen rarely, and when it does, you notice :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    For the 12b's.....Carver or the Parrasound. With some weight on the Parrasound side.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I have the Parasound now but kind of itching for something else. I have not heard that Carver 4.0t but i have heard the Silver 7 tube amp and loved it. The 4.0t was transfer function based on the Silver 7. Was hoping it might sound similar.

I have not heard any Acurus amp, but hear good things about them.
  • nooshinjohn
    The m4.0t sounds nothing like the silver 7

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited June 2018
    Parasound 2250 v2
    The Carver 4.0T is the same as a TFM45 both long in the tooth and unless they have been recapped well past the due date for that.....

I run Carver TFM 45 and a TFM 25 both completely recapped and upgraded by Roland and Bob Carver.

I have heard both the Silver 7 and 9 neither the 45 or 4.0 sound like them.
  • CH46E
    edited June 2018
    Wanna trade the TFM45?
  • pitdogg2
    Parasound 2250 v2
    CH46E wrote: »
    Wanna trade the TFM45?

sure for $2800.00 cash......
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Carver 4.0t
    I must say, I really do like the combination of the M4.0t and the Polks. I've never heard the Acurus, so I can't judge it.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Carver 4.0t
    tonyb wrote: »
    For the 12b's.....Carver or the Parrasound. With some weight on the Parrasound side.
    I will concur but swap out your suggestion. The Carver 4.0t is one of my favorite sound signatures from the Carver lineup and it pairs well with Polk speakers. Not a big fan of the sound signature of Parasound.

Cooter has wisdom? *falls to floor*

Shut up Russ.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I have the Parasound now but kind of itching for something else. I have not heard that Carver 4.0t but i have heard the Silver 7 tube amp and loved it. The 4.0t was transfer function based on the Silver 7. Was hoping it might sound similar.

Not even close.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    What speaker cables and IC's are you using for the 12b's and amps ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • CH46E
    Audioquest Diamondback RCAs. . And regular speaker wire due to the long run. I have audioquest cv8 but cant use them :(
  • tonyb
    Audioquest Diamondback RCAs. . And regular speaker wire due to the long run. I have audioquest cv8 but cant use them :(

Could be why the Parasound isn't tickling your fancy. Hard to make judgements on amps if the cables aren't up to snuff.

How long of a run are we talkin' anyway ? 12-15 ft ?

The 12b's are on the warmer side imho, with a bit of emphasis on the lower frequencies. Any amp too warm may just bring that out too much.

The Acurus has a bit more emphasis on the lower regions which may not pair well. The Carver is more even balanced, and the Parasound isn't as warm as the earlier HCA series, which is why I'm kinda shocked you don't care for it.

See if you can move things and try your CV8 speaker cables on them, just to get an idea of the sound....and go from there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • CH46E
    45 ft runs. Fished the walls up to the attic, across the room then down the wall again.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited June 2018
    45 ft runs. Fished the walls up to the attic, across the room then down the wall again.

Yikes! That’s a long run of cable. Though you could probably get a spool of Blue Jeans cable and cut it yourself.
  • CH46E
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Yikes! That’s a long run of cable. Though you could probably get a spool of Blue Jeans cable and cut it yourself.

I forgot about blue jeans! I already put some bulk wire in. Not going to be getting in yhe attic anytime soon. Have to wait until nov or dec here in FL. Too dang hot.
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2018
    Parasound 2250 v2
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Not going to be getting in yhe attic anytime soon. Have to wait until nov or dec here in FL. Too dang hot.

Sissy.... :D:D:D

You could go to have inc. and buy a spool of Canare 4s11 for like 300.00
  • nooshinjohn
    That’s what Russ is for....

• lightman1
    Acurus A250
    Will work for beer and smokes...
  • CH46E
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Will work for beer and smokes...

You in Florida?? :)
  • lightman1
    Acurus A250
    Not yet. Still in Iowa. Heading back to Indiana Monday. Florida has come up in conversation with home office for a big project for FDOT.....
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited June 2018
    Acurus A250
    Florida 40acre truckstop. Brings back memories :)
    Randy/Maine