Youse old-timer Baltimore/DC Metro Area folks may enjoy this ("FM Forecast" back issues)

FM Forecast was a DC metro area radio guide that was moderately popular when I was (considerably) younger. My parents even subscribed to it for a while -- maybe even quite a while, I don't really remember any more.

There is, as you may know, an incredible on-line resource of printed broadcast and audio ephemera in scanned form called https://www.americanradiohistory.com/

Among the virtually uncountable collection of treasures there, there have long been a couple of issues of FM Forecast. I just happened to be perusing the site and discovered that they've added quite a few more.

Here's the "newest" issue they now have, January 1976 ("our Bicentennial year"!).
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Other-Documments/DC-FM-Forecast/FM-Forecast-1976-01.pdf

If you're anything like me, you'll probably get a kick out of seeing the ads for DC area restaurants and hifi stores of yore (some B-more institutions in there, too).

g4txukb30ux0.png

d8lgm3q1mci1.png

You might even enjoy the whole thing.

More issues at:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/FM_Forecast_DC_Magazine.htm

:)

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Thanks Mark! Gonna spend some time perusing this issue tonight. It even predates one of the most significant days in FM from that era - March 28, 1977... the birth of WIYY Baltimore, 98 Rock! B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited June 2018
    I remember that -- I also remember listening to Howard Stern on WWDC, though :p

From June 1975...

8qbyh296nqdw.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    The thing is, if it is only available in print, you don't get to hear the true brilliance of Mr. Ray's accent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFQoTDVlac
  • mhardy6647
    I remember those commercials and also ones from DC for a Tae-Kwon-Do place. Their tag line was a little Asian kid saying "Nobody bother me!" in a painfully comical Asian-accented voice.

I also remember Petey Greene's Washington.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    WPGC was or station to listen to growing up in Franconia Va. just below Alexandria.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    WSGE.... Gaston College Radio...
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    Interesting-- when Mrs. H and I were dating, WPGC was in Morningside in... well... PGC (Prince George's County). It was her favorite, so it -- umm -- became mine, too ;)

If Wikipedia is to be believed, it is still licensed there; maybe that's the tower location(?).

I was hopin' to lure @F1nut to this thread... but it may be too early for him to have arisen from the crypt yet, what with the long summer twilights and all.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2018
    I think WPGC had giveaways EVERY DAY! It sure was an active station that liked to get listeners involved. I think my older brother won a few times. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I remember a FM DJ in the 70s called Greaseman on some rock station who was hilarious. Hobble de gooble, and gooble de goo.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I remember a FM DJ in the 70s called Greaseman on some rock station who was hilarious. Hobble de gooble, and gooble de goo.

Greaseman was the replacement on WWDC for Stern when the latter went to New York & (ultimately) the big time.

He (Greaseman) was pretty outrageous (even compared to Stern, at the time) and ultimately did manage to get himself fired for some unpleasantness. He was syndicated for a while, too, if memory serves.

Before they went to a hard-ish rock (AOR) format, WWDC played more pop-py music for a few years in the early 1970s. Their PM drive time show were the veteran DC DJs known as the Joy Boys. Ed Walker (who was blind) and Willard Scott (who y'all may remember from NBC's Today Show as weatherman). They did sort of a Bob & Ray kind of shtick and were, IMO, very funny. Walker stayed on radio until almost literally the end of his life.

Walker also co-hosted a DC TV AM "news/talk" kind of program for a little while -- which is when I realized he was blind. One couldn't tell on the radio :p On TV he wore slightly tinted glasses, but the tip-off (no pun intended) was watching him read his copy with his fingers. :)

... and I am sure all y'all know that Oprah got her start on TV at WJZ-TV Channel 13 in good ol' B-more.... but that's another story entirely.

501b82wx7vp9.png
  • BlueFox
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

Greaseman was the replacement on WWDC for Stern when the latter went to New York & (ultimately) the big time.

He (Greaseman) was pretty outrageous (even compared to Stern, at the time) and ultimately did manage to get himself fired for some unpleasantness. He was syndicated for a while, too, if memory serves.

Before they went to a hard-ish rock (AOR) format, WWDC played more pop-py music for a few years in the early 1970s. Their PM drive time show were the veteran DC DJs known as the Joy Boys. Ed Walker (who was blind) and Willard Scott (who y'all may remember from NBC's Today Show as weatherman). They did sort of a Bob & Ray kind of shtick and were, IMO, very funny. Walker stayed on radio until almost literally the end of his life.

Walker also co-hosted a DC TV AM "news/talk" kind of program for a little while -- which is when I realized he was blind. One couldn't tell on the radio :p On TV he wore slightly tinted glasses, but the tip-off (no pun intended) was watching him read his copy with his fingers. :)

... and I am sure all y'all know that Oprah got her start on TV at WJZ-TV Channel 13 in good ol' B-more.... but that's another story entirely.

501b82wx7vp9.png

LOL. You have a good memory there Doc. For a government town, the DC area produced a lot of talent, or characters. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Henry Tennenbaum at what was then WTOP.
    Marty Bass at WJZ.

both fairly leap to mind.

:)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2018
    I'm up.

Check out the number of audio shops in the Pickering ad. Now, there's maybe a handful.....shame.

PG County.......no one with even half a brain goes there now, especially Morningside.

Greaseman had me laughing so hard on the way to work one day that I had to stop driving. If he was on the air today all the snowflakes would explode......hmmmm, that's a pleasant thought.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    We moved from PG county to Montgomery County in 67. Even then, that was a big step up.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • mhardy6647
    Well - Montgomery Co. has one of the highest per capita incomes in the country... so, yeah, a step up from almost any place.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Well - Montgomery Co. has one of the highest per capita incomes in the country... so, yeah, a step up from almost any place.

I used to live there......you couldn't pay me to move back.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Don't remember the ones from the East Coast..except for Crazy Eddies nutty commercials..Do remember Warehouse Sound Co out of San Luis Obispo though..They too went the way of the dinosaur long ago too...
  • BlueFox
    mpitogo wrote: »

LOL.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    F1nut wrote: »

I used to live there......you couldn't pay me to move back.

Looked at a job there once - a long time ago (late 1980s) :/

Actually, Mrs. H had some close family that lived there for quite a while (back when we were still at JHU & livin' in B-more); it was a good fit for them ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Readin' old magazines is so informative. Now I know that Hoffman's Iron Law is balderdash (or maybe humbug).

rzgxw5tan9iq.png