On a binge again...

Comments

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,236
    I’ve got to reduce my stash of audio equipment before I find something really awesome at goodwill and I’m told no because “you already have too many speakers”
    I in fact found a pair of Bowers and Wilkins 800 series bookshelf speakers, and my mom told me no. I tried to convince her they were worth hundreds of dollars, not the 50 they were asking, and she didn’t believe me. I showed her the speakers online later and we went back but they were already gone.
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,275
    Good things don't last more than a few hours around here.

But I stopped going because I really don't have the space to even rotate my stuff anymore. I need a storage unit! A big double size storage unit! Like 40x30. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,798
    Don't get a storage unit. The second you have to get a storage unit, you are admitting that you have a hording problem.
    Tony M wrote: »

But I stopped going because I really don't have the space to even rotate my stuff anymore. I need a storage unit! A big double size storage unit! Like 40x30. :D

Got Dayens?
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Don't get a storage unit. The second you have to get a storage unit, you are admitting that you have a hording problem.

I just checked the prices of storage units and I won't be renting one. They want about 90.00 a month for a 5x15. That would clear a lot of space for me but I think trying to sell would be the smarter financial move for me at this point!
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,867
    Clipdat wrote: »

Lies!!! It's a well procured collection.
    So, I did a thing today....

8dwl0h1cf55g.jpg

Boxes are intact and original IC, also came with a Euro spec NAD 7155, a pioneer single deck, a pro-ject table and some Goodwill fodder (DVD player and VHS)

Was really hoping when he said SDA they were 2A/Bs, but I'm ok with this ;)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,798
    Nice score buddy!
    Got Dayens?
    Paid a bit more than I wanted, but it was still fair. Just need to find a counter weight for the pro-ject. It's my first "real" table. I'm excited. Can't wait to start the upgrades :D
  • verbverb Posts: 3,670
    Wow they look clean! Nice get Festivus!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    verb wrote: »
    Wow they look clean! Nice get Festivus!

They are, save for the grill snags and some vinyl veneer shrinkage. They'll be getting really wood veneer soon enough.
    Guess who's at it again!? This time, I think the purchase warrants a change of my avitar...

And I might actually have to stop buying Polks :o

Pics tomorrow, I'm excited :D
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 296
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Guess who's at it again!? This time, I think the purchase warrants a change of my avitar...

And I might actually have to stop buying Polks :o

Pics tomorrow, I'm excited :D

You do know that it's tomorrow already, so where's the pics?
    You and Dave are leaving me in the dust.

I've got to get my Polk Big Boy search game back on.

Congrats. I'll bet those sound beautiful too!

Did you get a good deal too?
    edited September 30
    Nice! Well done Festivus! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • NhpennNhpenn Posts: 37
    I was going to ask if you got those...
    Pin/blade for that price, I couldn't stop myself...
    Ok, need some opinions: I have at my disposal a few bigger NAD amps (2200 PE and up) and an Adcom 545 to use on the 2.3s... Which should match better? Eventually I'll get more amp (like a 555, or something in the 200wpc range), but I'm itchin to get these guys bumpin'.

Also the itch to upgrade is strong, but needs to be done in stages, so where would you start and why? Please note that ALL mods will be done including a Dreadnaught, I'm just looking for an order in which to do them.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,671
    Ok, need some opinions: I have at my disposal a few bigger NAD amps (2200 PE and up) and an Adcom 545 to use on the 2.3s... Which should match better? Eventually I'll get more amp (like a 555, or something in the 200wpc range), but I'm itchin to get these guys bumpin'.

Also the itch to upgrade is strong, but needs to be done in stages, so where would you start and why? Please note that ALL mods will be done including a Dreadnaught, I'm just looking for an order in which to do them.

Can't comment on the NAD but my GFA545 (mk1) sound fantastic paired with my SDA2Bs. A lot of control in the bass and not bright until it needs to be. Ran with a Denon PRA1200 preamp which is pretty neutral.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,114

well they never made them in Blade/blade :smile:
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

well they never made them in Blade/blade :smile:

:o :p

These are my first pin/blade anything, so I got excited. I finally get to build and use a Dreadnaught :D
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,900
    Art is ugly. His wife is gorgeous.
    edited October 2
    @lightman1, you're right, she is :)

Art is my old man, first pic. You never see the man behind the camera.

BTW, the camera man isn't married... Waiting on Russ to propose is taking forever...
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,656
    I tested the 2.3TLs I had out after rebuilding them on an HK3480 and they sounded amazing.

While they really open up with oodles of good clean power, moderate good clean power has a way of making them shine as well.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,900
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I tested the 2.3TLs I had out after rebuilding them on an HK3480 and they sounded amazing.

While they really open up with oodles of good clean power, moderate good clean power has a way of making them shine as well.

I have heard both iterations of this speaker....

I have already f*cked up Ryan by just saying there is a balance shift......
  • pkquatpkquat Posts: 599

If you are planning on TL, I would start with some cheap caps (the originals are cheap) for the TL mod and replace the tweeters. Otherwise get RDO-194's. Or maybe you got a rare batch of SL2000's that are not as harsh. No matter what you do, replacing the tweeters are an improvement. That said, I don't mind the SL2000's that much for shorter term listening or as background sound. Even at high volumes they are ok as background sound, but now that I am using speakers that have RD0's or SL3000's I find them more pleasing even as background sound.

pkquat wrote: »

If you are planning on TL, I would start with some cheap caps (the originals are cheap) for the TL mod and replace the tweeters. Otherwise get RDO-194's. Or maybe you got a rare batch of SL2000's that are not as harsh. No matter what you do, replacing the tweeters are an improvement. That said, I don't mind the SL2000's that much for shorter term listening or as background sound. Even at high volumes they are ok as background sound, but now that I am using speakers that have RD0's or SL3000's I find them more pleasing even as background sound.

Forget that TL thing for the 2.3 SDA. You would need all new MW6510 speakers which the 2.3 only uses 2 of. it is a completely different crossover as well.

I'd just get some Gimpod boards and do the cap, resistor and inductor upgrade. They're very nice speakers on their own. Get some RD-0194's in them and go from there.
    I'm getting the feeling that it's a close race between new XOs and 194s as the first mod... Kinda surprised Jesse @F1nut
    hasn't chimed in yet. Need his direction on some repairs/refinishing as well.

The side panels are pulling away on one of them, and I was thinking about some burled hardwood replacements, but cosmetics are at the bottom of the list.
    194's are quick and easy. Very noticeable improvement. 1st mod I plan to do on my SRS's. But I have to buy 8 of em! :smile: