I lose 90% of my volume when my Adcom is cranked all the way up?

Long time Polk fan first time here on the form. I am the new owner of Polks SDA SRS 1.2 powered by Adcom GFA 555 and GFP 555 with IC cable. I am losing a ton of volume 20-30 seconds after turning my amp all the way up. I turn it down for 20 or 30 seconds and it cranks back up. It’s almost like it resets its self? I want these bad boys to SING! Do i need another amp? or answers? Any help out there?
Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Thanks,
Frank

Answers

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Now you've also weakened the tweeter protection circuit by repeatedly tripping it. You won't have to "turn the amp all the way up" now for it to trip. And yes send the Adcom off to a new home; those Polks deserve something much better once you get a grasp of what not to do.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I hope you don't start up your SS with the pedal pressed to the floor! I'm assuming you own a SS by your handle.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Rocknme
    Rocknme Posts: 2
    Run my 3.1TL with same amp to extreme levels but never past the point of clipping. Amp indicator lights stay off. It's really loud. Don't push the amp into clipping. Geez you'll fry them speakers.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2018
    Try another amp and pre-amp.

My Adcom 555II amp and Adcom 450 preamp seems to limit the volume somewhat.

I could turn it to the 12:00 position on the Adcom set.
    I then switched to a NAD system, and 10:00 is fine on their preamp.
    I'm comparing 2 different designs and the power output might be the same for each system in their positions, but the volume is the same and I dare not go past 12:00 with the NAD set. I'd be asking for damage to the speakers if I did. They are both loud enough.

Dial positions are meaningless after 12:00. If you need to push it past 12:00 position, re-evaluate how loud you want your sound to be. Or, your power amp is mismatched to the sesitivity of your speakers. READ up on sensitivity of speakers. 10 watts is usually good enough until we crank it up. Lower sensitivity speakers require MORE power. I say get yourself some Cerwin Vega D9's and blow your eardrums out. ;)

You can't be serious that that you're trying to max out a 555 amp? And your amp lights aren't lighting up with distortion indications. Maybe you turn the dial to max and trigger the DANGER relay BEFORE the warning lights even have a chance to light up.

Not too many people do what you're doing. Not many at all! It seems you have zero knowledge of stereo gear. Get some knowledge asap.

But like others say, you might be pushing the limits of everything, especialy your speakers. Maybe you need some Cerwin Vega's, DCM 212's or JBL or Mackie "Pro" speakers. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I'm also an Adcom GFA-555 owner and never had a problem w/ pushing my SDA 2Bs or any other speaker I have ever owned or now have . True my Advent Maestros need gobs of power and my pre is usually @ about 11:00 w/ it being lower for the Polks. My amp has never even gotten warm on the heat sinks running a test w/ multiple speakers. I can't believe like others have said those yellow distortion warning lights should have come on or there is a problem w/ the preamp and try another brand. My model just for full disclosure is a rack face model bought from Audio Classics for $300 and until I hear something else it's staying in my rack.
    No affiliation to AC just a customer and a NAD 1020a doing backup closet service.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    I guess Frank won't be coming back due to the scathing yet truthful posts. Nice job guys! It's not what you know, but who you know...ya know?
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • motorstereo
    Awwe hell that's nothing......you should've seen the well deserved **** chewings I got when I posted pics of my 2.3s stacked when I was brand new here. Or better yet when I posted pics of my crossover redo with bypass caps.

I could've packed up and crawled under a rock to. There's far too much to learn here to be sensitive about being shown that you're doing things incorrectly if you're actually serious about your rig.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Heck, I can't show pics of the living room rig because of the ration I'd get. I can tell you the components, but I'm not even willing to describe the layout... I should know better, but it was decided well before I aquired my first NAD and the SDAs, so I can't change it now :/
  • Tony M
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Heck, I can't show pics of the living room rig because of the ration I'd get. I can tell you the components, but I'm not even willing to describe the layout... I should know better, but it was decided well before I aquired my first NAD and the SDAs, so I can't change it now :/

Everybody has seen my layout. :s Or what it used to look like. :)

It can't be worse...can it?
  • motorstereo
    Tony M wrote: »

Oh yes it sure can as I could bastardize a set up with the best of em :) Sadly or better yet gladly I don't have any pics of my 2.3s stacked on top of a pair of klh 12's with a little ceiling jacking to fit them in. Or a pair of Sansui sp3500's stacked on top of 2.3's or a pair of CRS's stacked on the same 2.3s in a multi preamp-amp configuration. Thankfully that non-sense is behind me and my rig has never sounded better because of the advice I've gotten here and paid attention to.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Never stacked any speakers but unfortunately I have a 9' pool table between my SDA's.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

14191384744_b48fba5086_b.jpgyorxie4 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• Tony M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Now I would be embarrassed to show that as something I used to think was cool or even used. :)
    I'm glad I got a subscription to Stereo Review early on. Those yearly Audio Review equipment Directory's showed me the universe of good Audio stuff. If the brand wasn't in those magazines, I knew what to avoid.

But my budget was still VERY limited!!!

I'm glad I was given credit by a fine Stereo Store owner when I was about 21. He co-signed for me so I could get a great TV, Mitsubishi high-end VCR and Yamaha surround sound receiver from him. I never missed a payment either. ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

Oh yes it sure can as I could bastardize a set up with the best of em :) Sadly or better yet gladly I don't have any pics of my 2.3s stacked on top of a pair of klh 12's with a little ceiling jacking to fit them in. Or a pair of Sansui sp3500's stacked on top of 2.3's or a pair of CRS's stacked on the same 2.3s in a multi preamp-amp configuration. Thankfully that non-sense is behind me and my rig has never sounded better because of the advice I've gotten here and paid attention to.

I remember when you had a pic of those SDA's and unfortunately it's burned into my gray matter....LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Thankfully I've never been that hard up for tunes... I grew up on 5Bs and J-pan built JVC components (high current receiver), so craptastic pieces like that were left to experiment fodder.

Now, the LR rig is a NAD C320BEE receiver with a 4120? Tuner and a pioneer CD carousel. There's a Sony ES dual tape deck in the wings that needs the rollers refurbished (I love this deck). All running SDA IIs. Prior to that, it was a pioneer receiver running RTA 11s, and prior yet: same receiver and tall criterions.
    dyc37kq9ins1.jpg
    They came to me missing both the driver and passive, but the replacements don't sound half bad.... Obviously they've been usurped.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Soundesign Disco-Tek or go home.

1yvpl0406ix8.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I lost all my volume a couple of years ago when I had it turned all the way up. Expensive mistake. LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    i joined the forum when i purchased my first SDA2b speakers. Thank god i did. I hooked them to a Adcom 555 & with the advice here-it was total bliss. Adcom pairs well with SDAs. To get advice on how loud or how to not over do it - is just good advice. Save your speakers & ears so you can enjoy listening for your future is just awesome advice. Welcome any new members & enjoy the forum
    Randy/Maine
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

I’ve never seen it, but can ANYTHING be worse than this?
    trtgm4z5ec3s.jpeg
    Looking back, there were so many things wrong with this, from the sub in the bottom of the cabinet, to the Infinities on top, and the electronics in between on this big vibrating table. :lol:
  • FestYboy
    Yes, mine is currently worse.... No joke.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

That’s one of my better systems of past years... send me pics via PM if you aren’t wanting to post publicly, I won’t mock them. I’m sure I’ve seen worse. I will see if my friends has pics of my other systems tomorrow morning, some of them were really REALLY bad.
    Micah
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    mlistens03 wrote: »

I’ve never seen it, but can ANYTHING be worse than this?
    trtgm4z5ec3s.jpeg
    Looking back, there were so many things wrong with this, from the sub in the bottom of the cabinet, to the Infinities on top, and the electronics in between on this big vibrating table. :lol:

All I see there is a fellow Star Wars fan...! The system reminds me of something I saw in one of @EndersShadow posts from many years ago - must be the rack;-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

Do as I say, not as I do! (What my dad used to tell me.) :p
  • FestYboy
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Do as I say, not as I do! (What my dad used to tell me.) :p

Haha, so true!
  • motorstereo
    [quote="F1nut;
    I remember when you had a pic of those SDA's and unfortunately it's burned into my gray matter....LOL[/quote]

Sad part is I was thinking about doing it once again with Joe's old 1.2tl's. until he talked me out of it just before I brought them home. Thank you Joe wherever you are.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Welcome to the forum Frank!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    K_M wrote: »

LOL, better late than never I guess. Except ol' Frank hasn't posted a thing in the 10 months since this one post.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    tonyb wrote: »

LOL, better late than never I guess. Except ol' Frank hasn't posted a thing in the 10 months since this one post.

Tony you are right on both counts!
    I could not find the "Sarcasm Emoji" :D
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    tonyb wrote: »

Who would, after that? 🙄
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto