Shunyata Typhon QR - Initial impressions.

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Wednesday I received a Shunyata Typhon QR for evaluation. While I have been more than impressed and happy with my Shunyata gear, I have to admit the Typhon v1 didn’t really seem to do much when I added it a few years ago. So, while I was curious about the QR, I wasn’t $9K curious. :)

Then it occurred to me that maybe I could get a demo unit to evaluate, and if it did make a difference then I would buy it. So, I asked Mike at Suncoast Audio, and he was able to get a unit from Shunyata, and that arrived Wednesday. At this point, the only items plugged into the Triton are the XP-22 pre, Lumin S1, and the SACD player, which I rarely turn on.

I replaced the Typhon v1 with the QR Wednesday afternoon, and took Thursday off so I could listen all night. My stereo really shines late at night after the neighborhood quiets down, and the air settles.

Around 7PM I got tired of working (worked at home Wednesday since I had to sign for the QR), opened a beer, and sat back to listen, and try to determine if it made an improvement.

Well, to be blunt, I didn’t like what I was hearing. The music was dry and analytical. It certainly was different, but not, to me, in a good way. Oh well, there isn’t an end date to this demo, so I may as well keep using it.

As the night wore on, the outside noise decreased, the air became settled, and the beer started to do its job, I realized the sound had greatly improved. No longer was it harsh and/or analytical, but encompassing and soothing.

All of a sudden the QR went from an annoyance to a benefit. WTF! LOL

The audio was now more detailed, but not analytical. I can more easily pick out notes, instruments, singers in the mix. There is more of a 3D experience to the music. It seemed to be in harmony with the rest of the system, and the end result was making me smile and laugh.

So much for my evaluation idea. I PMed Mike and said ‘Bill me’. He responded right away. Not sure why he was up so early. :)

Anyway, the stereo has been on since Wednesday afternoon, and I am now in evaluation mode. So far all is good, and I will update this thread as I acquire more subjective impressions.

As an FYI, I moved my Typhon v1 into the HT with its Triton v3. I will see later tonight if it makes a difference, but regardless of the result will contact Shunyata Monday to upgrade it to a QR.

Two thumbs up for the Typhon QR.

Now I need two more evaluation units to hear if they help the Denali on each amp. :)

Once again, I am impressed with Shunyata’s technology.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    For a $9k sale. Mike gets up early. Enjoy your new upgrade. Keep us posted after burn in and without beer.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Beer has influenced many things. Many ugly women have been impregnated because of alcohol, i just hope this was not an ugly woman for you Bud
  • BlueFox
    LOL. No, much less expensive. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    QR follow up.

I don’t use my stereo during the week since it is a Friday treat for me after busting my head working all week, so it has sat quiet since I turned it off last Sunday morning. So, as usual, I turned the amps on Thursday night so they would be ready Friday.

Well, now it is Saturday night, and, just like last night, I am being impressed by the performance of the QR. The music is coming from a sonic silence zone. It just appears out of no where. One song even startled me as it started. I thought something happened outside, but quickly realized it was the music. I swear I am picking up on little details I never heard before, or they just stand out more now.

Based on my audio memory, I think the system sounds better now than it did last weekend when the QR was only a few days old. It appears that even though no music was playing during the the week the little current needed by both the Pass pre and the Lumin helped burn-in the QR. Now it is really earning its keep. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Glad you are continuing to enjoy the improvements that the QR brought to the table! I think you're set on the power front for a long time to come now! Congrats.
  • BlueFox
    Thanks. I agree about being set on the power. I can’t imagine spending another dime on power. Now speakers..... :)

Three 20 amp circuits.