Do all RTA 11Ts come with a base?

Options
Greetings from Montreal - Canada,

I've been getting a lot of great information from this forum. Yesterday, I decided to join. I've been enjoying my Monitor 5 Series II I bought in '92. One of the SL-2500s died and I can't seem to find a used replacement at a reasonable price here (it's patched with an old Peerless). :-(

I just bought a pair of RTA 11T. Enclosure outsides have seen better days, but the drivers are in good shape (except for a small dent on a tweeter dome) and the crossovers are supposed to be original (didn't check them yet). Initial sound test is OK. These will be part of my upcoming basement vinyl vintage system (will be buying amp and TT). I'll have time in a couple of weeks to check the interiors, reinforce the magnets and possibly recap the crossovers (I don't change components unless they test bad).

On all the 11T pictures I've seen, there is a 1"-high recessed base. Mine doesn't have it. Have you come across this model without a base?

Thank you all.
Monitor 5 Series II
RTA 11T

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,789
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Some did, some didn't.

You can buy the RD0194 replacement tweeters from Polk Canada. Contact is Walter Moser. Replace both, worth every penny.

The original electrolytic caps were junk and should be replaced with film/foil.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Nabman wrote: »
    Greetings from Montreal - Canada,

I've been getting a lot of great information from this forum. Yesterday, I decided to join. I've been enjoying my Monitor 5 Series II I bought in '92. One of the SL-2500s died and I can't seem to find a used replacement at a reasonable price here (it's patched with an old Peerless). :-(

For the Monitor 5's, you will want the RD0-198, which replaces the SL2500 and SL3000, not the 194. The 194 is for the SL2000's. Get a pair of the RD0-198's you will not be disappointed. The highs will have MUCH more detail.

Replace all the capacitors, even if you go electrolytic. They are bad by now regardless of what is measured. You can't test them in the circuit, so you will have to remove them anyway. Electrolytics are cheap, so there is no reason not too, but film/foil is the way to go. Plenty of crossover rebuilds and recommendations on here.

I have seen a few 11TL's without the base, and some where its been knocked off :/

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I thought only the last year or so did not have the base, could be wrong.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Answer ✓
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »

I have seen a few 11TL's without the base, and some where its been knocked off

I thought the base was one of the ways to tell the original 11T from the later 11TL.
    There was more than just a tweeter change, I think some internal bracing is also different along with the flat bottom.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Im looking at my 11t and they have a base.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have a pair of 11tl’s they have no bases. I have the boxes also and believe they have not been altered.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Mine are tagged RTA 11TL Serial 901230 & 9010237 no base/flat bottom.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Answer ✓
    Options
    stevep wrote: »
    Mine are tagged RTA 11TL Serial 901230 & 9010237 no base/flat bottom.

I wonder why the difference? Maybe it was answered already.

My rta12b dont have a base. And someone mentioned they should. Im looking for a sutible stand for them now.

Answers