Basil Hayden's

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    voltz wrote: »
    look like a case of Frost bite! If they had Some Basil Hayden that might not have happened!

Oh, it probably still would have happened...they just wouldn't have felt near the pain on Basil's!
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I think it does, but, to each his own. If you can find it. It's very low production and release is often trickled. You'll probably have better luck finding it in higher end steak houses or other places like that. If you can find a bottle of it for sale grab it without hesitation. They go for $750 and up on the secondary market. Very few bourbons really make me say "Wow" when I taste them, buy, this was one of them.

I'm in Salt Lake this week at a conference. Just finished a glass of George T. Stagg at The Bourbon House. "Wow" indeed!
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited September 2017
    My wife has corrupted me with bourbon so I felt compelled to post the following pic...the bottle on the left cost more than the bottle on the right....and worth every penny.
    cezn7xfal51w.jpg

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited September 2017
    wow awesome! thanks KEV! wish I knew where I could find a bottle of the Double Oaked. Dang that looks excellent

Has any seen or tried the Wellers 12 years old green label Special reserve?

btw I bought a bottle of Col EH Taylor's for my Birthday :p
    mjkh5y4vio64.png
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Saw a ton of the double Oaked sitting in a store in New Hampshire...

I had other stuff I wanted though!
  • voltz
    Found some Blantons at local store, WOW!! I thought the Col Taylor was excellent but the Blanton's in so unique and a differnt kind of smooth!

think its the best I ever drank...stay away as this one will ruin you for most other Bourbons!
    pi4y7l7ygstn.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• kharp1
    Yeah, that's good stuff, too. I drank that years ago and didn't appreciate it because I was a bourbon an Coke guy then. Went back to it several years ago and was really surprised how good it was. Everything is really in balance.
  • Upstatemax
    Ohh, well aware of Blantons...

gs3803yq7hrw.jpg
  • Upstatemax
    I would run to you, with arms full of whisky, but this furry jerk has me on lock down:

cdl8l658wezi.jpg
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Had an Old Forester Birthday at The Crunkleton in Chapel Hill to celebrate not one, but two gradgeeyations a few weeks ago. Two raises in one day called for something special. Very enjoyable. The honey nose, red fruit and OF spice made me sink into the leather with a big contented smile.

They had Pappy 25yr, but it was like $250 a pour :# , so I still haven't tried it; but I'll be darned if I'll pay that much for a glass of bourbon. Soo, opted for the birthday batch, while the fam enjoyed Woodford Double Oak Old Fashioneds, and Sagamore Manhattans (my personal go-to Manhattan). I'll try to post some pics of the cool old bottles they had in the special cabinet and the gentleman's club atmosphere. Interesting craft cocktails if you're into that. Nice variety of bitters. Definitely worth a stop if you're in town.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • kharp1
    I think Pappy is overrated at those prices. There is a mystique surrounding it with it's limited release, but, not worth that much in my opinion. I use to get stuff from Julien Van Winkle that was their family bottlings, and, it was great. I've had some of the 20 and 23 and I wasn't blown away, which, is what a bourbon should do at that price point.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    I haven't had the pleasure of trying Pappy. I saw a shelf full years ago and balked at the $120 price. If only I had known.

I have found several new to me bourbon's lately.

1) Rock Hill Farms - I found this yesterday and haven't tried it yet. I've read it's similar (maybe a little better?) than Blanton's. Anyone familiar with this one?

2) Old Forester 1920 - I'm not a big fan of Brown Forester and wasn't expecting much. I was very pleasantly surprised. Good stuff.

3) Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - This may be my new favorite bourbon. Exceptional! I stumbled on this and don't know if I'll be able to get more.

z8obr2wc3oab.jpg

SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I've been enjoying Bullett Rye lately. I went to the store yesterday and the guy working there talked me into some Red River rye. I haven't tried it yet, but he said it was comparable to Bullett and it's local.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Great thread. I need to try some of the recommendations. I like Woodford Reserve, but never tried the double oaked. My liquor store retailer recommended Henry McKenna 10-year-old 100 proof. Very good, especially for the cost.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    edited June 2018
    Try the double oaked Woodford....it is excellent. Here are two of our favorites plus something new....Angels Envy. Please ignore the stuff in the background!
    r2ct8yk5m3bg.jpeg

• voltz
    I have somehow become a big time Knob Creek fan, in comparison to Elijah Craig & Stagg and Maker's Mark and others that are much sweeter I like Knob for being Dry and a touch more spice. trying to get my hand on their 2001 and the 25th anniversary editions :)

My Local liquor store owner bought me a gift for my birthday which isn't for months and hopefully I'll save it for Skip's house an we can all share it>>>HINT HINT! get to skips house!

as I became her Favorite customer LOL for higher $$$ bourbons. she gets me anything I want for the most part... and we talk for hours when I see her.

http://www.melandrose.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=92325&vfsku=3342269&vfsku=3342269&gpla=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwjZjZBRAZEiwAPeLSK8PeVBKxuQxRWX8A_RDSdEIwNKkDmdqIJlfYhEzay02tNnJAfDQ6jBoCWgEQAvD_BwE

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Father’s Day gift from my kids
    07qsnj9qbmkm.jpeg
  • Upstatemax
    Nice!

My buddy (liquor manager at local distributor) walked out of the back with something he knew I could not resist this week.

He knows I LOVE Michters and he had a bottle of Michters 10 Year Single Barrel set aside for me.

It’s delicious...
  • PSOVLSK
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Try the double oaked Woodford....it is excellent. Here are two of our favorites plus something new....Angels Envy. Please ignore the stuff in the background!

Post your thoughts on the Angels Envy. I had it once on the recommendation of a bartender several years ago. I remember liking it, but never bought any and for some reason have never gotten it again.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2018
    I picked up a bottle of the Angels Envy on Friday along with the Marker Mark Private Select. Both are very good. I like the Makers slightly more. Makes sense since it cost about 1.5x more.

The Angels Envy seems to be a bit more robust with the port barrel aging. The Makers at cask strength and natural aging is more what I enjoy. If you have not tried it I would recommend giving it a try.

qbcrz2r2nwu1.bmp

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Upstatemax
    Angels Envy is heavily dependent on its batch.

I’ve had some that I love, and some that I would happily never touch again...

Port finishing is spotty at best.

• kharp1
    edited June 2018
    I agree, when it's good it's a thing of beauty, but, I've had more bad Angels Envy than good. I liked the rum cask finished better than the port.
  • PSOVLSK
    https://www.highwest.com/products/a-midwinter-nights-dram.php

I'll go ahead and post this here as well. I had this last night and thought it was awesome. I'm going to have to give it another shot so I can decide if it was a knee jerk reaction or if this is my new favorite.
  • maxward
    Thanks for the information about the variability of Angels Envy. That might explain why I was underwhelmed when a local winery owner raved about it. I never tried it again, but maybe it’s worth another chance.
  • Upstatemax
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I agree, when it's good it's a thing of beauty, but, I've had more bad Angels Envy than good. I liked the rum cask finished better than the port.

The rum cask finished Angels Envy is one of my favorite whisky of all time.

My bottle is dangerously close to empty and it’s a PIA to find...
  • voltz
    On "You tube" there is a channel called "Bourbon Night" with Chad and Sara and the review many bourbons and for you Whiskey drinkers a must watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1KKuvzU34

• maxward
    Our son took us to Westgate, a whiskey bar/restaurant in Beaverton, last night after the Portland Dragon Boat Festival. Very casual (I was in my damp paddling clothes). Anyway, he bought us a pour of Woodford Double Oaked. Wonderful...I will try to find this one at my local store. Also got a pour of Kilchomen, an Islay scotch that was recommended by the bartender. Although I’m a big fan of Islay scotch, I never tried this one. Also very nice. The place has an extensive spirit menu, especially of bourbon.