Mixed speaker impedance question

Dr_Wu
Dr_Wu Posts: 305
Amp manual states minimum resistance per channel is 2.66 ohm (2 channel amp). Also states 3 pairs of 8 ohm speakers can be powered without stress or distortion.

I've got a pair of 8 ohm speakers and a pair of 6 ohm speakers I'd like to use together (with a powered subwoofer). OK or not?

Thanks.
Post edited by Dr_Wu on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    should be fine, I do the same and have experienced zero problems.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Dr_Wu
    Thank you, tonyb!
  • Dr_Wu
    edited June 2018
    If I understand it correctly, the calculation of total ohms per channel using an 8 ohm and 6 ohm speaker is:

1 divided by the sum of 1 over 8 (ohm) + 1 over 6 (ohm)
    =
    1 divided by .125 + .166
    =
    1 divided by .291
    =
    3.4 (well above the 2.66 ohm/channel minimum)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited June 2018
    correct.

Chances are your amplifier will be fine with the proposed load...

but...

The only (potential -- no pun intended) problem could be this: With very, very few exceptions, the impedance of a loudspeaker system is neither accurately nor meaningfully described with one number. That one number is the nominal impedance. Usually, but not always it's the minimum impedance of the loudspeaker.

Even the minimum impedance number doesn't tell the whole story -- the nature of the load (its impedance curve as a function of frequency, and the phase of the load as a function of frequency) is the important factor. This information is available for many, but not all loudspeakers. Say what one will about Stereophile magazine -- they're good about testing, displaying and commenting on how easy or hard of a load a given loudspeaker they review is likely to be, at least for an average amplifier.

Not really trying to frighten the OP, just trying to contextualize :) an issue that's significantly more complex than many folks realize -- and it's not a good thing to learn that lesson the hard way.

Here's a classic example of a brutally hard to drive loudspeaker -- the classic Quad ESL-57 electrostatic. An electrostatic speaker is basically a big capacitor, and the impedance of the ESL-57 drops quite low at high frequencies. Especially in the era that these loudspeakers were made (1950s through 1980s), amplifiers weren't typically designed for a load like the ESL-57, and severe damage to both amps and speakers could result if a hapless "audiophile" wasn't aware that the nominally "15 ohm" ESL-57 was nearly a dead short circuit at high frequencies! :open_mouth:

95w470xyqb9b.png
    source: https://quadrevisionspot.blogspot.com/2009/06/impedance-of-quad-esls-and-monoblocks.html

Proceed carefully, at least initially: any issues will likely give audible clues before anything bad happens to amp or speakers. :)
  • Dr_Wu
    Thanks mhardy!

I was aware of the impedance variations in a general sense. I figured that using a powered sub would partly alleviate the low end peaks, giving me a little more room for error. Also, I'll not likely use much volume in my listening environment. For sure, I'll keep my eyes, ears and nose out for symptoms of problems, and the amp has plenty of room to breathe.

I picked up a pair of Monitor 60s as backups for the time my SDAs are being upgraded (too cheap to pass up). I just wondered what they sound like together, and wanted to make sure I wasn't borrowing trouble.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort in your post.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    google your two pairs of loudspeakers & see if you can find measured impedance curves for 'em.

The odds are way in your favor based on the ratings of your amplifier -- but there's value in a little reassurance, I'd opine.

FWIW, I don't know how happy a pair of SDAs would be to share an amplifier in parallel with another pair of loudspeakers -- although I am sure there folks here who would know, though!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I don't know what model SDA you have, but they can dip down a lot lower than 6 ohms.

I also don't know why you'd want to run SDA's with the Monitor's, the SDA's are a much better speaker. Besides, that's got to sound like a total mess.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    ...Besides, that's got to sound like a total mess.
    That would be my guess as well -- but it is a testable hypothesis.

ucw8a6qdg3zx.png
    https://xkcd.com/242/

I have to imagine pairing SDAs and any more typical monkey coffin loudspeakers in parallel will present an odd load for an amplifier.
  • Dr_Wu
    edited June 2018
    I don't know what I was thinking. Even my amp is laughing at me. Oh, the shame.
  • tonyb
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    Thanks mhardy!

I was aware of the impedance variations in a general sense. I figured that using a powered sub would partly alleviate the low end peaks, giving me a little more room for error. Also, I'll not likely use much volume in my listening environment. For sure, I'll keep my eyes, ears and nose out for symptoms of problems, and the amp has plenty of room to breathe.

I picked up a pair of Monitor 60s as backups for the time my SDAs are being upgraded (too cheap to pass up). I just wondered what they sound like together, and wanted to make sure I wasn't borrowing trouble.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort in your post.

SDA'S ?? Different animal.

most the time when running 2 sets of speakers of different ohms on a quality amp wouldn't be much a problem....unless one pair required a hefty dose of current. The SDA's are one such speaker.

My reference was to bookies or maybe small floor standers. Possibly a different story with bigger more power hungry speakers. Besides....M60's with SDA's as already stated isn't going to sound too good. Maybe use the 60's as surrounds once you get the SDA's back. The 60's are an easy load for any receiver to drive and leave the amp on the SDA's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Dr_Wu
    Yeah, since everyone already knows they will sound horrible together, I'm not even gonna bother hooking them up. It's probably just plain wrong to have them sitting near each other. Worst $70 anyone ever spent, obviously. Once I get the SDAs back, I'll probably just give the M60s to a homeless shelter.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    You don’t have to donate the fuzzy dice to the homeless shelter, just don’t hang them in the Corvette...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    I think the jist here is....

Can you do it ?- Sure you can.

Should you do it ? - Probably not, for reasons already explained.

What amp btw are you planning on doing this with anyway ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's