Any realtors in the house?

obieone
obieone Posts: 5,077
Had to rip out my back deck due to improper build, and rot.
Need to determine if replacing has any ROI, or should I just install steps and a concrete slab patio.
TIA for any feedback
I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    Ken Brydson...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Home improvements are always a roll of the dice.

What you may consider an improvement, others may consider a detraction.

That's why homes with dedicated theaters rarely go for more than an identical house without.

Decks though are a more universally liked item so they tend to be an advantage to selling. But you will never get back what you put into any home improvement project generally speaking. Will it help? Definitely. Will it allow you to bump the selling price up to cover the total cost? Not even close.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Home improvements are always a roll of the dice.

What you may consider an improvement, others may consider a detraction.

That's why homes with dedicated theaters rarely go for more than an identical house without.

Decks though are a more universally liked item so they tend to be an advantage to selling. But you will never get back what you put into any home improvement project generally speaking. Will it help? Definitely. Will it allow you to bump the selling price up to cover the total cost? Not even close.

What he said.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,076
    ZLTFUL is right too. It depends on the location of your rear exit, height-wise. If it's just one or two steps down to a level grade, then a very nice patio may be more desirable. A nice patio is less maintenance. I prefer my patio to a deck. Especially in a colder climate staining/sealing a cedar deck every couple of years is a pain. But Trex and similar composites eliminate that need. Really it's whatever you prefer.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    ZLTFUL is right too. It depends on the location of your rear exit, height-wise. If it's just one or two steps down to a level grade, then a very nice patio may be more desirable. A nice patio is less maintenance. I prefer my patio to a deck. Especially in a colder climate staining/sealing a cedar deck every couple of years is a pain. But Trex and similar composites eliminate that need. Really it's whatever you prefer.

Composite decks are beyond cost prohibitive. I thought after 10 years the prices would have come down but no, that's not the case
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!