Sad news from our little town: end of an era, our farmer-neighbors are exiting commercial dairy ops

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited June 2018 in The Clubhouse
Not really a surprise, years of low milk prices have devastated the smaller dairy farms in New England... but I was still very saddened to read that our neighbors are selling off most of their dairy herd and exiting commercial dairy operations per se.

http://www.vnews.com/Plainfields-Taylor-Brothers-Farm-is-phasing-out-its-commercial-dairy-operations-18114540

fuf33ncxqn5c.png
Meriden — During a quarter-century as New Hampshire’s commissioner of agriculture, Steve Taylor witnessed the closing of hundreds of dairy farms across the state.

“At the end of 1982, there were over 500 dairy farms in New Hampshire,” Taylor said, citing the year he started in the post. “Now there’s barely 100. So we’ve cleared out four-fifths of them.”

Now 79, Taylor is watching his family’s own herd of milking shorthorns and Holsteins get broken up and sold, as his three adult sons prepare to wind down the commercial milking operation of Taylor Farm in Meriden.

“I grieve over every farm going out because it’s part of a continuum of the destruction of a culture,” Taylor said on Monday, sitting at his kitchen table and surrounded by a stack of albums containing photos of a vibrant dairy farm landscape that is now rapidly vanishing.

“It began after World War II,” he said. “Here in Plainfield, I think in 1946, there were 46 locations that shipped milk to the commercial market. Forty-six! And we’re down to one, and that’s McNamara’s.”

It’s been three years since milk prices crashed, Taylor said, and still, there’s no price recovery in sight. It was time for the family — sons Jim, Bill and Rob are the major shareholders — to cut its losses.

“We’ve got the maple operation. We’ve got the cheese operation,” Taylor said. “And those two were feeding the cows. And the milk leaving the cows was not making any money. So they made a hard-nosed business decision to exit milking cows, stop doing that, and keep the cheese business going and keep the maple going.”...

Ironically, they hayed our back field (and their adjacent field) just this past weekend.

393d18o9m1hh.png
x8ntodzmgm9g.png

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Vermont has a very similar situation. In 1975, there were almost 4,000 dairy farms. In 2012, there were only 1,075.

Source: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/money/2016/06/09/dairy-farm-production-increases-in-vermont/85597744/
  • mhardy6647
    As a committed VPR listener, I am pretty "up" on the dairy business on the other side of the river -- well, at least as they present it.

• mhardy6647
    BTW, the Taylor patriarch, Steve, was NH's Commissioner of Agriculture for 25 years. It seems like literally everyone in NH knows him -- which is kind of amazing to me.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    In Wisconsin “the dairy state” we are losing farms left and right. It’s a very alarming situation akin to the 80’s.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I saw a TV special on dairy farms, Dirty jobs I think it was. The owner of this farm, I believe, said this is THE ONLY WAY it could be profitable anymore. MEGA production systems.

I thought about the little dairy farms and was saddened, as was Mike Row I believe.
    tuu0b89td43b.png

I'm 60, so I've seen a lot of little towns close up from lack of businesses and or business. Generations of family members coming to a heritage change.

But Breweries and Wineries have exploded 10,000 fold. :(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    They need to go organic, you can charge way more for organic milk. Regular milk....the big guys control now. The little dairy farmer just can't compete with the bigger conglomerate Dairy's.

Milk as a commodity is getting like oil. Price and production are controlled, calculated. About the only thing they don't care about with milk is...the quality.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Sad news indeed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Was discussing something similar today at work with two of my co-workers, one from India, and the other from China. The basic idea being food is not as nutritious as before. Big ag is controlling everything, and manipulating food for cosmetic commercial appeal, with nutrition being lost.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    rBGH did the small guy in.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone
    Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) is a synthetic (man-made) hormone that is marketed to dairy farmers to increase milk production in cows. It has been used in the United States since it was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1993, but its use is not permitted in the European Union, Canada, and some other countries. This document summarizes what is known about the product and its potential effects on health.
    What is recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH)?
    The human form of growth hormone, also called somatotropin, is made by the pituitary gland. It promotes growth and cell replication. Bovine growth hormone (BGH), also known as bovine somatotropin (BST) is the natural form of this hormone in cattle.
    Recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) or recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST) refers to bovine growth hormone that is made in a lab using genetic technology. Some rBGH products on the market differ chemically from a cow's natural somatotropin by one amino acid. Both the natural and recombinant forms of the hormone stimulate a cow's milk production by increasing levels of another
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Not too many years ago milk was $5.00 a gallon. Now in my area it was .68 it just went up to .98 a gallon...
  • tonyb
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Was discussing something similar today at work with two of my co-workers, one from India, and the other from China. The basic idea being food is not as nutritious as before. Big ag is controlling everything, and manipulating food for cosmetic commercial appeal, with nutrition being lost.

Not far from the truth Bud, and we wonder why we keep getting sick. Oh, what happens when your sick....you need meds. Vicious circle, all run by the almighty dollar with little concern for actual health.

Big AG has money to lobby congress, the little guys don't. See the coincidence ? Same goes for the average joe who can't lobby congress but big corporations can. Where do you think lawmakers will put their concerns and priorities ? Certainly not with the small farmers and not with the average joe.

Raw milk is making a come back in certain parts of the country. Mainly because you can charge triple for it and helps the little dairy guys stay in business. Too much risk there for me, and I would assume liability for the Dairy farmer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I guess Mrs. Douglas finally got her way and they could move back to Manhattan..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS3XM3xAPk
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    At our house, ag is small.
    :)

bt3cj9wlmm5h.jpg
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I can only imagine how unsavory mass produced milk is, and I agree milk today is not what we drank growing up as kids. As a side note, my wife and I went dairy free recently and are never going back. She has stomach issues and since I got off it, it has contributed to my triglyceride levels dropping more than 300 points. Almond milk is actually pretty good and they actually make non dairy 'butter' called "Ghee" which actually is not bad.
  • kevhed72
    tonyb wrote: »

Not far from the truth Bud, and we wonder why we keep getting sick. Oh, what happens when your sick....you need meds. Vicious circle, all run by the almighty dollar with little concern for actual health.

Big AG has money to lobby congress, the little guys don't. See the coincidence ? Same goes for the average joe who can't lobby congress but big corporations can. Where do you think lawmakers will put their concerns and priorities ? Certainly not with the small farmers and not with the average joe.

Raw milk is making a come back in certain parts of the country. Mainly because you can charge triple for it and helps the little dairy guys stay in business. Too much risk there for me, and I would assume liability for the Dairy farmer.

If anything, the government should be subsidizing small, organic dairy farms and food producers and not the giant mega factory farms and growers. Give people more choices to be able to eat healthier. But wait, that may actually decrease health conditions such as diabetes, cancer, heart diease, etc. etc. etc.
  • Viking64
    People should just learn to eat coal. :p
  • kevhed72
    edited June 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    People should just learn to eat coal. :p
    Clean coal, that is ;)
  • Viking64
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Clean coal, that is ;)

No problem there. :D

av5a6ogy2bvf.gif
  • Viking64
    DSkip wrote: »
    That would bring new meaning to 'food truck'.

"This vehicle does not meet California motor vehicle emission regulations." :p
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    That is sad.
    I don't really understand how this can be, though. Is it the associated costs of milk production? Milk and dairy is getting more expensive at the register. What's that, all transportation costs and other people getting their hands in it, farmers not getting enough out of it?

Dairy's a big part of my diet, regardless of all one hears about how bad it is for adults. I don't know what I'd do without it. I'd have to stop eating cookies for one. That crap's too sweet without milk to cut it.

Organic skim is one thing I treat myself to. It's friggin' delicious. I don't know how it's richer tasting and not watery like conventional, and how it lasts for weeks instead of spoiling the day after I get a conventional gallon home.

And Fage 0% Greek yogurt.
    And Kefir.
    And Cheese.
    Goats are good cheese makers too, but not sure they're considered dairy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I buy milk from this somewhat-local dairy. It tastes great. The glass bottles keep the milk from going sour long after the date. It will keep for three weeks with no change in taste. It cost's more, about $3.59 a half gal., but so worth it. I don't throw it out like I did with the plastic jug milk within a week.
    https://www.burbachscountrysidedairy.com
  • mhardy6647
    The problem is the cost of raising, keeping and milking the cows vs. the price paid to the farmer per gallon.

The Taylors, like lots of small dairy operations, have been using some of their milk to
    make high(er) value products -- cheese, selling the rest to the big regional coop (Cabot).

They can make money, it appears, making & selling cheese -- but only if they buy milk. At least, I assume that's what they'll be doing going forward (although the article says, or at least strongly implies, they're keeping a few cows).

As an aside, their cheese is very good -- and yes, you, too can buy it online through the magic of e-commerce :)

http://www.garfieldssmokehouse.com/

No affiliation, other than as a neighbor & satisfied customer (and source of some hay). :|

C'mon up and visit -- and we will serve you Garfield's smoked meats and cheese and Taylor maple syrup and cheeses. :)

• Mikey081057
    I've had Berkshire Pork.... which is very awesome as well as expensive.... which comes from the Berkshire pig. My point being is that there seems to be money in high end products as opposed to commodity products as a small operator

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    kevhed72 wrote: »

If anything, the government should be subsidizing small, organic dairy farms and food producers and not the giant mega factory farms and growers. Give people more choices to be able to eat healthier. But wait, that may actually decrease health conditions such as diabetes, cancer, heart diease, etc. etc. etc.

Now your thinking pal, and spot on in my opinion. If everyone was healthier, who would lose money ? Think about that. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    I never liked milk much and had to be forced to drink it when I was a kid. I haven't drank any, milk at all in 30+ years, probably closer to 40. I know it's in stuff, and in the ice cream I have about 5 or 6 times a year, but I avoid it in general. Not liking cheese (Among a ton of other stuff) makes it easy. In general, I think dairy is one of the worst things you can eat. Of all my type 2 diabetic friends, the cheese heads and milk guzzlers got it first and worst. Even though I'm overweight, I'm not diabetic.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Speaking of a dairy, I went to Maui in March and I visited the Surfing Goat Dairy. It was one of the most interesting places I have experienced. The dairy is owned and operated by German expatriates Thomas and Eva Kafsack who were former computer software engineer and school teacher respectively. The dairy became the place where discarded surf boards are found all around the 42 acres of the farm.

fup28e3kv3v2.jpg

anab4z58x0h8.jpg

Surfing Goat Dairy is a dairy farm in Kula, Hawaii on the island of Maui and located on the slopes of Maui’s Haleakala volcano. It produces more than two dozen goat cheeses. Many of the cheeses have won national awards. Tours are offered.

https://surfinggoatdairy.com/wp/about-us/
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Milk is my crack! I drink 2-2 1/2 gallons a week of Oberweis. I don't know if it's organic or not but, it's the best milk I've ever tasted.
  • Mikey081057