Is it worth upgrading my receiver?

I'm running Polk rtia3s and surround/center speakers with a Yamaha Advantage a1040 receiver. I'm a little annoyed that my HDMI doesn't pass through 4K anymore so I would have to run straight to the TV and send an optical back to the receiver in order to get full 4K. I just bought this receiver two years ago for 899 on sale so it seems like a shame to get rid of it just for that reason. However, I found an absolute steal on a Yamaha aventage a3070 which would give me HDMI pass thru, an extra 40 watts per ch, and a better dac. Otherwise it's basically the same as my current one. I doubt I could get more than maybe $300 on eBay for my old one. I'm not really interested in anything more than 5.1 or 5.2 anytime soon.

Here's the catch:. I have to buy it in a package with some lsim speakers and either sell the speakers or keep them. All in all it works out to getting this receiver for around $600ish. Or I could save my money and add a power amp onto my setup for probably more bang for the buck. What do you guys think? Is it worth the hassle?

Best Answer

Answers

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The LSiMs are a VAST improvement over the RTiAs you have.
    The 3070 is also a massive jump over your current AVR.

Seems like a no-brainer to me...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Thanks for that. It's kinda feeling that way
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Buying a LSIM pkg just to get the receiver? Are they better speakers yes, but are you going to keep them? if not, then no it isn't worth the pkg.

Especially if all you have to do to get full 4k is to buy an Optical cord. You might be better off getting that and a powerful amp to run with your current receiver.

Once the amp is in place, you could save your money and update the speakers at a later date, and still keep your current receiver.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    Buying a LSIM pkg just to get the receiver? Are they better speakers yes, but are you going to keep them? if not, then no it isn't worth the pkg.

Especially if all you have to do to get full 4k is to buy an Optical cord. You might be better off getting that and a powerful amp to run with your current receiver.

Once the amp is in place, you could save your money and update the speakers at a later date, and still keep your current receiver.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I would love to add the lsim's to my setup and delete the rtia bookshelves but it doesn't really make a ton of sense in an apartment. I know later when I get a house I'll be shopping for towers and it would be nice to already have them, but who knows what kinda price I could get some good towers and receiver for then....

Here's the deal for those wondering: all brand new with warranty 2 lsim 705s, 706c center, yamha aventage a3070 for 2300 out the door. Now you may see why I'm even considering it lol
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    cfrizz wrote: »

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I would love to add the lsim's to my setup and delete the rtia bookshelves but it doesn't really make a ton of sense in an apartment. I know later when I get a house I'll be shopping for towers and it would be nice to already have them, but who knows what kinda price I could get some good towers and receiver for then....

Here's the deal for those wondering: all brand new with warranty 2 lsim 705s, 706c center, yamha aventage a3070 for 2300 out the door. Now you may see why I'm even considering it lol

Towers in an apartment are not a problem I would think. If you were to turn your current system all the way it would be just as loud as the 705s. Minus a little bass of course. Then, when you move you already have the speakers.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I cannot imagine having my 705’s and my sub in an apartment. I would get kicked out within 24 hours.
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I cannot imagine having my 705’s and my sub in an apartment. I would get kicked out within 24 hours.
    That is exactly how I feel about having some 707s. (Though no sub) I guess it depends on what kind of power, too. Either way the principle stands.
  • Honestly I think I'm getting too lured in by the sweet price. I'm trying to justify something I'm not technically in the market for yet but know I will be some day because of the price not the need. I think all if you have helped me answer my question
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    Honestly I think I'm getting too lured in by the sweet price. I'm trying to justify something I'm not technically in the market for yet but know I will be some day because of the price not the need. I think all if you have helped me answer my question
    I do that kind of thing to myself all the time...

You’d probabaly do pretty decently if you went with the 707s and the 3070. You could sell the 707s as a new in box pair for 14-1500 pretty easily and be done for 850 or so for the receiver.
  • alucididea wrote: »
    Honestly I think I'm getting too lured in by the sweet price. I'm trying to justify something I'm not technically in the market for yet but know I will be some day because of the price not the need. I think all if you have helped me answer my question
    I do that kind of thing to myself all the time...

You’d probabaly do pretty decently if you went with the 707s and the 3070. You could sell the 707s as a new in box pair for 14-1500 pretty easily and be done for 850 or so for the receiver.

Do you think I could do better that way vs selling the 705s and 706 center? I estimated I could get 1300 for 705s and 500 for center. Total 1800.... Just speculation of course