Rated vs. Actual Power & Volume Control

So, I’ve got a question concerning power.

Let’s say an amplifier is rated to 300w RMS (20-20000hz). Now let’s say my speaker is only rated to 250w. Volume control goes from -80 dB to +16.5 dB. At what volume level would it actually be safe to use this amp/speaker combo?

I’m figuring as long as I don’t turn it above, say -20 or so? Any input would be welcomed.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2018
    Ignore wattage ratings for speakers.

Frankly, it is misleading.

I have a pair of speakers rated at 100 watts running on a 200wpc amp.
    And they will drive you out of the room with volume before the amp is even close to clipping.

Clipped signals is what kills speakers...power will too but it is 90% clipping vs 10% overpowering speakers. *note 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot*

Then there is pre amp and amp gain (or lack thereof), distortion levels, tiny little spider like gremlins that eat small children...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    60% of the time it works every time.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Use your ears. When it sounds bad, turn it down. If you feel technical then buy a Sound Pressure Level meter so that you can put a number on what you hear. Of course, this assumes you have ‘normal’ speakers that will let you know they are hurting. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    *note 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot*
    My thoughts exactly.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Use your ears. When it sounds bad, turn it down. If you feel technical then buy a Sound Pressure Level meter so that you can put a number on what you hear. Of course, this assumes you have ‘normal’ speakers that will let you know they are hurting. :)
    I agree with that. I guess I’m trying to create a general rule of thumb for myself.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The problem, to me, is that volume controls have different meanings in different setups. A number in one setup doesn’t necessarily relate to another setup.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The problem, to me, is that volume controls have different meanings in different setups. A number in one setup doesn’t necessarily relate to another setup.
    Fair enough.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    alucididea wrote: »
    Volume control goes from -80 dB to +16.5 dB.

I would ignore the power (unless it’s clipping). The volume control suggests your preamp is able to calibrate to reference levels. At common THX levels -20db on the volume knob should produce around 85db from the speakers. This is a normal listening level and doubt you would be overdriving and pushing more than a few watts. If you know what your speakers maximum output db is it would be relatively easy to derive the max volume level and compute the power.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine