Zu Audio Dirty Weekend...

kharp1
kharp1 Posts: 3,453
Been eyeing a higher efficiency pair of speakers and ended up grabbing a pair of these from the Zu site today. Not sure exactly what to expect, but, I'll give them a few laps around the track.

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @mrbiron has a pair IIRC
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Mine aren't dirty....mostly

I bought a new pair of MK-1Bs about 4 years ago and love them. Won't be moving them for a while (because I'll be broke in 6 months). I think the new release Dirty Weekends have the newer driver than what I have. Can't comment on that.

I've run them off an Anthem MCA20, the PS Audio Delta (bought from kharp), PS Audio Sprout, and still use it with a small Peachtree Decco.

Everyone swears they love tube gear. I don't have any experience with this...

You'll like then...maybe.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mrbiron wrote: »

Everyone swears they love tube gear. I don't have any experience with this...
    ...it can be arranged, you know?

• mrbiron
    I know...
    When are you coming to Mass again?.... :p
  • mhardy6647
    Gotta pick up Mrs. H at BOS from Alaska in a coupla weeks -- got any trips to the airport pending?

I doubt that she'd appreciate a detour on the way home :p
  • mhardy6647
    Oh, for the OP's benefit, there's a voluminous thread on the titular Zu loudspeakers @ AK:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/zu-audio-omen-dirty-weekends.524871/

My apologies if it is the OP's thread there, too! :/
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Sweet. Looks like they’re back in stock. They were originally only offered during St Patrick’s weekend back in March. I’ve been eyeing a pair for a new project, ACA balanced monoblocks output of 20wpc at best into 8ohms.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Hmmm. May be a good match for my Sonic Impact T-amp!

What finish did you get @kharp1 ?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    I went the cheap route and ordered the rustic hickory. Put the sangria maple in the cart, but, decided to go plain Jane incase I didn't like tfem, less money put out. I just like getting different, interesting things in my system and checking them out.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    I thought this bit from their website was interesting:

"Make sure you have 1/4” [6 mm] or so gap between the bottom of the Omen loudspeakers and the floor. The finger ports are part of the Zu-Griewe box loading technology. They are not ports as used in a bass-reflex design but the finger ports do need to see the acoustic impedance of the room to function; blocking them turns Omen into an interesting but sealed design."
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Seeing that they are pretty high up there efficiency wise, what are you going to drive these with bro ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Just a heads up
    If you don't have a low watt SET amp/integrated be very careful with the know

Some preamps and integrated's have issues controlling volume on high efficient speakers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I read a bit of the thread on AK posted by @mhardy6647 and it looks like a sweet little SET amp is your best bet with these. Looks like you’re also going to need some tile and bolts from the Home Depot to angle these up properly. Most of the reviews are really positive on these Kerry! Enjoy!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    That's what I would do :p but something like the AmpCamp Amp might be a nice option.

There's no problem per se with high power amplification -- the problem with some high-power amplifiers is that they really don't perform very well qualitatively or quantitatively at very low output power levels.

When one only needs milliwatts of power for comfortable listening levels, the perfomance of an amplifier at milliwatts of output is paramount to the quality of what comes out of the speakers. Most amplifiers aren't, IMO, carefully designed for great performance at low output power levels because current fashion runs to low-sensitivity loudspeakers.

:p
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    Heh -- sorry to harp on this point, but, in fact :) if one looks at "objective" (quantitative) measurements of typical Class AB amplifiers for the last 50 years or so, they're at their best, measurably, at ca. 1 watt output. Lowest distortion of various kinds; broadest, flattest frequency response, stuff like that*.

That's dandy with loudspeakers of nominal sensitivity of, say, 85 dB SPL at 1 meter for 1 watt input.

With loudspeakers at, say, 105 dB sensitivity (at 1 meter for 1 watt input), the story may be rather different.

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    A wise man once said
    "if the first watt sucks, why have 199 more of them"?
  • mhardy6647
    ... and another guy* said:
    "What this country needs is a really good five-watt amplifier."

That guy said a lot of clever and even prescient things. Too bad he didn't actually make better sounding loudspeakers ;)

dokxjytkdoow.png
    s0vo8ym9sh68.png

https://www.stereophile.com/news/11338/index.html

see also:
    https://www.klipsch.com/quotes-anecdotes
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    A wise man once said
    "if the first watt sucks, why have 199 more of them"?

... but, to the point at hand, it's more like "if the first fifty milliwatts suck, why have 450 more like them" :|

Srsly :)

A loudspeaker capable of 105 dB SPL at 1 meter per 1 watt input power* will produce 85 dB at 1 meter with 10 milliwatts.

I'm not sure on which amp will end up with them, but, I'll try the AE by Cary EL34 amp, and, of course, the MastersounD Evolution 845. Wonder what kind of real life SPL I can achieve with 55 watts of SET power? Just something to play around with.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    Depends, to a great extent, on the drivers in the loudspeakers, I would think.

Modern drivers may exhibit quite a bit more power compression than did drivers in the olden days when watts were precious and no one wanted, nor could afford, to have 'em going to waste.

Of course,the ability of the drivers to simply handle high levels of input power without immolation is also a factor. The old warhorses were not so good at that -- even though they made darned good use of the power they could sink.

:)

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Looking forward to photos once they arrive, great looking speakers imo.
  • txcoastal1
    The problem with higher watt output w/ high eff. speakers is the sensitivity of the volume control
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• kharp1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The problem with higher watt output w/ high eff. speakers is the sensitivity of the volume control

Warmth can get obliterated quickly, too.
  • txcoastal1
    Just making sure you are aware

I've been seriously wanting to test some Zu's with my Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated 12watt. I still have some NOS tubes still in the box that I purchased from Brock ...a couple years ago :D:D:D

Looking forward to your thoughts bro

Feel free to PM me and give me a shout

• txcoastal1
    @mrbiron
    That's an great looking set up!

• mrbiron
    Too bad my Dehu is in the photo... :(
  • txcoastal1
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Too bad my Dehu is in the photo... :(

As long as it's not your dicDoo :)

• mhardy6647

That's a preamp problem (gain and or volume control taper) not an amp problem.
  • mhardy6647
    @mrbiron
    That's an great looking set up!

can't wait to see 'em in his new house... ;)