Dayens Ampino - A Mini Review

msg
msg Posts: 9,306
edited March 2016 in 2 Channel Audio
In consideration of the well reviewed Dayens Menuetto, one of the integrated pieces in the Dayens line that Skip carries, I piggybacked on F1's demo of the Dayens Ampino for a gathering he attended some time ago. My understanding is that the Menuetto works nicely with the Polk LSiM703's (as detailed in a shootout here, some time ago), a speaker I thoroughly enjoy, and so I was curious about the Dayens sound, and Skip was gracious enough to offer me an opportunity to audition the Dayens Ampino, the next model down from the Menuetto in the Dayens integrated lineup.

Here are a couple of links if you'd like to read further outside of this post
http://www.dayens.rs/eng_ampino.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dayens/ampino.html

From 6moons
nx5oecxjb9vf.jpg
From 6moons
ip98r3gey8kc.jpg

Setup for this is as follows:
  • Squeezebox Touch, Spotify, reference playlist at 320k CBR
  • Bobo Digital Coax; shielded (sheepish, ducks and dodges rotten tomatoes)
  • Parasound D/AC-800
  • MIT AVT1 IC's
  • Dayens Ampino
  • Douglas Connection/Furez 12awg DIY SC's
  • Polk Monitor 10's; oe w/RD0-194 tweeters

Admittedly, out of the box, I wasn't particularly impressed, generally speaking. The Ampino feels relatively lightweight - 3.7Kg, about 8lbs - but pretty solid feeling; it doesn't feel tinny. The chassis dimensions seem odd if you're used to the standard 17" - 19" width on gear. I noticed that the volume knob felt loose and spinny, which struck me as feeling a bit cheap at first. Some may raise an eyebrow at the selector/control switches, but I didn't give much thought to them other than that they're different than what I'm used to, and seemed a little retro-ey.

Then I hooked it up and threw some music at it. That's where my complaints and doubts began to subside a bit. I was intrigued.

I can't really believe the quality of sound that comes out of this thing. I really didn't expect this, but am I'm finding that the Ampino performs *surprisingly* nicely at the initial modest to moderate listening levels in this setup. Specifically, I noticed some greater detail in some parts of tracks I'm familiar with. It sounded somehow sweeter, smoother, and slightly more detailed and articulate in some areas than I'm used to hearing with some of these familiar pieces I test with. Luna's Teenage Lightning, or 'Til Tuesday's Coming Up Close (Aimee Mann), sound particularly good, as examples. On Teenage Lightning, I was hearing some guitar notes outside of the speaker width on the left side. I was also surprised at how the unit is able to pass some lower frequency notes, and especially at the presence of these notes given its relatively low power specifications.
9xcrjtn6cvtv.png
I use a couple of these lower frequency producing tracks in testing because some systems aren't able to output them at all, or sometimes, they can't produce them with much presence, so it's a good test for me, for what I look for in system performance. I get that most of you guys don't listen to this kind of stuff, but a couple of those tracks, if you're interested, are Spiritualized's Sway (2:45 forward) and The Dreadful Yawns' We Go Up. You'll know the bass notes I'm speaking of when you hear them. I will say that the presence was sliiiiiiiightly lesser on the Spiritualized piece, but not by too much. The Ampino drives Monitor 10's nicely in the 11x11 test space (spare bedroom), with my bass and other 2ch quality test tracks/passages performing very nicely.

I will also say that the best experience is recognized by sitting in the sweet spot (as usual), and speaker placement and room tricks can make this unit especially capable. Some of the performance fell away noticeably if I was outside of this listening position, eg, too close; It was still clean, but got kind of thin. Again, the same is true with my experience with other components and systems, so this is not specific to the Ampino. It just seems particularly capable when set up in a good space with listening position conducive to 2ch. If I were using this in a larger space, or for background listening outside of the sweet spot, I may consider leaving something in the budget for a sub, depending on the speaker performance, but I can't say at this point.

For Rock, I was listening specifically to determine whether it would go thin and crunchy in general, and at volume, as is the case sometimes with heavy rock tracks laden with higher frequencies in guitar solos, crashes and such. I used Jane's Addiction's Three Days for this. It's a 10+ minute track, with essentially a few different songs in one. Listening from the sweet spot, again, solid performer, but with slight edge, thought I wouldn't necessarily call it fatiguing at all. Still very listenable. And a good measure of that edge is probably due to my source, media quality, and digital coax cable quality. This is a tough test track for me. I would imagine this could be bettered with proper source media and a better digital coax, as I notice this on any of my other systems, as well. My reference for bright and crunchy is RTi10's for music on an underpowered AVR. Anything approaching that miserable experience is a get-this-crap-away-from-me deal breaker for me. It's easy to get there with underpowered speakers, and I really felt that the Ampino was going to fall on its face here with rock in general, and specifically at higher listening levels, certainly. I pushed the volume to 10 o'clock, and it was WAY louder than I'd ever want for that space, quite uncomfortable, actually, during the guitar solo on Three Days at around the 4:40 minute mark. I couldn't really keep it at 10 o'clock long enough to hear whether it was breaking up. 9 o'clock was much more comfortable, and sounded better, and rockin' enough. My regular listening with the Ampino is with the volume knob at around 7 to 8 o'clock.

Overall in my time with the unit, I'm relatively impressed. I really can't get over how fat and full it can perform with the Monitor 10's. The volume knob spinniness is the only thing I would see addressed, and I'd maybe Dynamat a portion of the chassis for a little extra heft and damping, but not sure it's required. And, essentially, the volume knob "issue" simply goes away once you get it set up and start listening, which, I think, is something we all have to remind ourselves to do sometimes. After all, while the gear chase is neat and fun and a huge part of the enjoyment of the experience, a greater part of that is, or should be, the music, right? I don't even particularly care that there's no remote for it. This is something I'd cue up a good playlist with and just let it roll.
I disabled signatures.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• msg
    edited March 2016
    I was originally going to say that the Ampino would be a great little piece for a smaller space, where the refinements of a stereo experience are preferred over output, but then after hearing what it can do at 10 o'clock, I'm not sure I can put that limiter on it. This unit is surprisingly listenable and continues to surprise me as I listen to more and more different kinds of music on it, especially given that my first impression coming out of the box kinda had me withdrawing and slightly **** up the left side of my face for a brief wtf moment there. The chassis design doesn't seem odd to me anymore, and I can see using this unit at the heart of a sublime little 2ch system with some efficient speakers, possibly even hi-level outs to a small sub, but frankly it does great with Monitor 10's, and gets as loud and full as I'd ever want for the space I'd tested it in. I think running it with properly placed Monitor 10's would do very nicely even in a larger space for background listening.

I even kind of like the minimalist design and chassis presentation. Would make a neat lifestyle piece.

So I can say I'm impressed with Dayens, and my curiosity is piqued again on the Menuetto where the LSiM703's are concerned. I might try some 703's with the Ampino briefly before sending it back to Skip, just for reference, and/or possibly getting a turntable in the mix, just to see how it does.
    I disabled signatures.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Very nice review. I have been researching the Ampino ever since I bought my Ushers a few months back. My curiosity is perked.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Nice review, I got to hear it at Skips and it was impressive! I'd consider owning one except I already have to much gear.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    It's amazing how small that is for a non class D amp!

What's that have in there? Two 10K mf caps and a decent sized toroid? Trying to figure out WHERE it gets its ooomph from?

Nice review msg!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Great review. Sounds like a winner!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • msg
    Thanks guys, and thanks Skip for the audition. This was fun, and insightful.
    Getting ready to send it back and feeling a little separation anxiety (ha). Gonna miss it.

Just wanted to convey a couple of final notes. I took some time to see how it performs with 703's and LSi7's. The Ampino can actually respectably drive 703's to uncomfortably loud and fat levels without breaking up in an approximately 11x11 space. That one really surprised me. Again, not my usual listening level, but capable of it. A touch crisp, but not too bad. Would be worse with some crunchy rock passages.

LSi7's, similar performance, though not quite as full and fat sounding as 703's and perhaps just a touch veiled, but I've always felt that about LSi7's until I settle in with them, and then that sound becomes my current norm for a while.

Both required more volume than the Monitor 10's

Ampino - thumbs up to this budget integrated, or a minimalist/lifestyle system. I can easily see using just the Ampino, 703's, your favorite source, maybe a DAC, and needing nothing else if all you want is to do is play music in a clean setup.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey @msg I know this thread is old, but I think you answered my initial impression about the volume knob. Loose and spinny. Thanks! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    You're welcome! A really enjoyable little piece, in spite of a promiscuous volume knob!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Loose and spinny isn't something I would expect from a Dayens product. Is there any adjustment possible? Is it the knob itself that is loose, or is it the actual volume pot inside that's loose?
    verb wrote: »
    Hey @msg I know this thread is old, but I think you answered my initial impression about the volume knob. Loose and spinny. Thanks! :smile:

• verb
    Looks like it's inherent in the design. The volume pot is way in the rear, with a long shaft to the front. No bushings on the shaft to help stabilize it. Only clearance holes in the heat sink and front panel.

5wu408w7o6mi.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    He bought it from @AsSiMiLaTeD.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Did you purchase one?

• verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    He bought it from @AsSiMiLaTeD.
    Did you purchase one?

Yeah back in April! Finally got the BluMe as my streaming device, ahem, firestarter, ahem monoprice amp is in better hands now! :smile:
  • verb

Did you purchase one?

Yep way back in April. Question for you - is that a common concerns with these guys? A lot of stress can be applied on the volume pot and those soldered joints back there, IMO.
  • indyhawg
    msg wrote: »
    You're welcome! A really enjoyable little piece, in spite of a promiscuous volume knob!

I never had any issues with the volume knob with the amp I owned. I always thought it was a very well made product.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    indyhawg wrote: »

I never had any issues with the volume knob with the amp I owned. I always thought it was a very well made product.

I like it... ;)
  • indyhawg
    lightman1 wrote: »
    indyhawg wrote: »

I like it... ;)

Knew you would. Very nice amp.
  • msg
    That "promiscuous" comment was a play on "loose". Hence, Russ liking it.

In all seriousness, it doesn't affect performance. Not like the knob freefalls to zero or anything due to low spinning resistance. It's a nice piece of gear. I would enjoy one.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    Here's my test setup. In the office now but eventually will go up into a guest room upstairs. Polk TSi200's, Auris BluMe streamer, and my latest pride and joy, the Ampino! Thanks @AsSiMiLaTeD !
    mqendnc4i7a4.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Man those are low ceilings
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    V works with John Cusack on Floor 7-1/2

l5tx939om457.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Funny! Top of the bookshelves, for testing purposes only! :smile:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Funny! Top of the bookshelves, for testing purposes only! :smile:

For a quest room I wouldn't care
    Shlt if you like it in any room...again I wouldn't care

Just as long as you don't say "It's the best system I've ever heard" ;)

Just bustin'sumBalls :)

Disclosure:
    I've tried to set the wife up with a decent little system and set it for her
    Go in her office and she fudged it all up :#:#:#:# ....don't ask for pics
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    Thanks Skip. Now that I know about it, I can deal with it. No worries. Just a bit a surprise to me. Streaming for a couple of hours now, Howard Jones Engage, lovin it! :smile:
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Speaking of volume knobs, I have both a preamp and and integrated from the same manufacturer. The preamp has a moderately dampened knob, while the integrated is loose and spinny. The knobs are in the same position on both chassis and I assume they both do the same thing. The preamp is slightly older but I wouldn’t think that is the cause. The input knobs on both feel the same. Other than the feel the volume turns also increment in a similar fashion. And I haven’t gone out to compare to other units. I just find it odd.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine