Outdoor patio system question

DabutcherDabutcher Posts: 1,727
I currently have four JBL Control 25 speakers set up in my patio area. Fed by a Pioneer Elite receiver. Seems to sound good for music and movies. But low end is lacking. My idea is to buy these two JBL subs to add to the system . I would build a cabinet for them instead of in wall application. Any ideas about my idea or ideas about a better set up? Thanks. Drp02mn7601oj.png
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Mitsubishi rear projection 73, PS4, PSW505 , Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4, RTi12, FXiA6, CSiA6, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05

“Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• WillowWillow Posts: 9,086
    Fwiw I have 4 atrium speakers and a neighbour behind me said many times last summer to turn it down because the bass was shaking inside his house. I call bs on that. All that to say just be careful with the low end but I'd like some more in our system too.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Tributaries Optical, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Rotel RDV 1045 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII and Android Mi Box3. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• JaybeezJaybeez Posts: 681
    Depends on how much low end you want, but I have a set of Atrium 5s with one of these: https://www.polkaudio.com/products/atrium-sub10
    Sounds pretty darn good to me, and sub has been part of my outdoor system for 7 -8 years. Of course I'm in So Cal with milder weather, so your mileage may vary.
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; FXi4s ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Rythmik F12SE

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through."
  • stretchlstretchl Posts: 1,080
    @Jaybeez Where do you have your sub placed in relation to your speakers, walls, etc? I'm setting up a Sub10 in a few days. It's my first time using a sub. I've read that they should be in a corner, or along a wall to create the most resonance. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Adcom GFA-555ii --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's
    Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,144
    stretchl wrote: »
    @Jaybeez Where do you have your sub placed in relation to your speakers, walls, etc? I'm setting up a Sub10 in a few days. It's my first time using a sub. I've read that they should be in a corner, or along a wall to create the most resonance. Any thoughts? Thanks.

What I do when I place a sub is set it in the listening position, and then walk around and go to all of the potential places to put it. Then, whichever sounds best, put it there and when you sit in the listening position, you have that same bass.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.