Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2018
    Ummm. Yuck. Sorry, that Porsche ain't talking to me at all. It looks like a Porsche "K" car, LOL.

Am I dating myself?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    The design is totally subjective, but I think a lot of people get extra excited for them just because of their rarity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_959
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Ummm. Yuck. Sorry, that Porsche ain't talking to me at all. It looks like a Porsche "K" car, LOL.

Am I dating myself?

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    steveinaz wrote: »

Am I dating myself?

Very Volkwagon bug like, not a luxury sports car...IMHO, especially in white and blue
    Sure it's still fun to drive, but so is a moped, you just don't want your friends seeing you riding it
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Ooh man do I love the Porsche 959! I also love the greenish blue of the first car. The other colors are cool, but I really like that green.
    I can’t believe you guys don’t like it! :open_mouth:
  • Clipdat
    According to the Wikipedia page, those Canepa editions have a special paint job indeed: "Canepa upgrade along with a body overhaul and a new paint-to-sample paint job according to the customer's desire that takes 500 hours to complete."
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Ooh man do I love the Porsche 959! I also love the greenish blue of the first car. The other colors are cool, but I really like that green.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Porsche 959
    The twin-turbocharged 959 was the world's fastest street-legal production car when introduced, achieving a top speed of 197 mph (317 km/h), with some variants even capable of achieving 211 miles per hour (339 km/h
  • mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »
    According to the Wikipedia page, those Canepa editions have a special paint job indeed: "Canepa upgrade along with a body overhaul and a new paint-to-sample paint job according to the customer's desire that takes 500 hours to complete."

:open_mouth: wow. That is a long time to paint a car!!
    I can’t imagine how much that cost! :confounded:
  • Clipdat
    Canepa is insane. There's a cars & coffee event there tomorrow. Check out some photos of the last one:

https://imgur.com/a/3h4Mp
    :open_mouth: wow. That is a long time to paint a car!!
    I can’t imagine how much that cost! :confounded:

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    The 959 even had hollow rims.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Tony M wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Man, I need a pan like that.

fzi5l3x28ad5.jpg

I don't know why I did this, but I counted the eggs and she's cracking the LAST egg out of 3 dozen. :D

Yes, but how lbs of bacon are there?
  • mlistens03
    1ilspdcv7wte.jpg
    zej8e8xmd3v8.jpg
    Me and my grandpa turned this pen yesterday. Safe to say I have a new favorite pen, it turned out really well.
    I asked my friend how much he thought it costs, he guessed it the $100-$150 range. The parts for the pen cost a grand total of $28. As long as you don’t factor in the $4000 lathe, of course :wink:
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    So, what are you selling them for? :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mlistens03
    So, what are you selling them for? :)

I’m not? Sorry, probably should’ve said that. If we were though, it would probably be big bucks. For a pen, anyway.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Price a Mountblanc some time ;)
  • mlistens03
    Ok yeah not that expensive. I didn’t realize that they got that expensive!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    And they write just as well as a BIC! ;)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Mountblanc

Was that a semi-disguised plug for New Hampshire? :p
  • mhardy6647
    I don't think that we make pens here -- at least not those. ;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I've written with 2 mont blanc pens ( still own one )and I now have to say, BIC pens are for rewinding cassettes.

A pic. of what my pen is..from the web;
    chm6ppkigips.png
    I have a few other 100.00+ pens and the way they feel and the way they float over paper is quite something. There's a reason some pens command a higher price. :)
    I gave my Father-in-law the matching Mont Blanc Caligraphy pen when he got into Caligraphy letter writing. I also gave him a great Caligraphy masters book. I got the book given back to me like 10 years later, but not the pen...LOL.

I think pen building is soooo cool. I almost got into it! If I hadn't gotten into bad shape, I would've jumped headfirst into the craft. I love wood and finely made pens!

I know this is off the mark a bit, but I bought this Oriental filagreed pen years ago that's absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to hold too.I'll try to post a picture of it some day. ;)B)

Feels Like a balanced samurai sword does. Yep, I've held a real one...They're Amazing too! Both balanced and they just feel RIGHT. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    1ilspdcv7wte.jpg
    zej8e8xmd3v8.jpg
    Me and my grandpa turned this pen yesterday. Safe to say I have a new favorite pen, it turned out really well.
    I asked my friend how much he thought it costs, he guessed it the $100-$150 range. The parts for the pen cost a grand total of $28. As long as you don’t factor in the $4000 lathe, of course :wink:

I love the fact that you AND your Grandpa made that Patriotic pen. I hope you make another one so each of you can have one.

Coming back from meeting Trey years ago 1/2 between Charlotte and here in Wilm. NC., My wife and I stopped at a little flea market and inside a guy had some NICE hand turned pens and key chains. Great quality too. I couldn't afford a pen, but I made sure I bought something to help the guy out AND to make sure I got something handmade by a fellow wood craftsman. I bought a stash/keychain ring. He like my story of love for woodworking that he gave me a great discount!

That was it. Treys' great Amps and speaker deal ( Thanks Trey! )and a great keychain purchases for the day. And the also...great weather for a long road trip too. B)
  • mlistens03
    1ilspdcv7wte.jpg
    zej8e8xmd3v8.jpg

I love the fact that you AND your Grandpa made that Patriotic pen. I hope you make another one so each of you can have one.

We were making two, but both of the other blanks blew up while we were turning them, and we didn’t have time to make another. Next time I go over, we will make another one, except his will be a gold/brass color.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    I've written with 2 mont blanc pens ( still own one )and I now have to say, BIC pens are for rewinding cassettes.

Signature line worthy material right there, folks! ;)

38575661550_883681382f_b.jpgpencil stat by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

And, @mlistens03, I want to be very clear that it's very cool that you and your grandfather made that pen! It's something I certainly couldn't do, and between the family connection and the "I made it myself" pride, it's an instant heirloom -- which, of course, makes it priceless! :)

I realize that my mountblanc comment came across more snarkly ;) (is that a word?) than I meant it to, and I apologize for that.

Speaking of your pen -- Is the pen body wood or metal? I cannot tell from the photo.

qmnvepum0ywi.png

• mlistens03
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Signature line worthy material right there, folks! ;)

And, @mlistens03, I want to be very clear that it's very cool that you and your grandfather made that pen! It's something I certainly couldn't do, and between the family connection and the "I made it myself" pride, it's an instant heirloom -- which, of course, makes it priceless! :)

I realize that my mountblanc comment came across more snarkly ;) (is that a word?) than I meant it to, and I apologize for that.

Speaking of your pen -- Is the pen body wood or metal? I cannot tell from the photo.

38575661550_883681382f_b.jpgpencil stat by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The pen is made of turned plastic, which comes in little blocks, then is cut down (as I assume you know). Then you sand it, polish it, and buff it, and you put it together with the kit, which has the parts in the middle (not sure what they are called) which are made out of brass and then plated with silver. I think.
    I didn’t think it was snarkly ( :wink: ), I didn’t realize how expensive they could be!
    Micah
  • Tony M
    edited June 2018
    Pic. and whole statement from AVS forum;
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mastermaybe
    ^ It has been quiet, as far as I have been following. As an aside, I swear that people will come up with ANY reason to add more speakers to their room.

Just wait: as soon as the 13/15 channel avr/pre-pro's show up, people will be absolutely CONVINCED they need 17-21 speakers in their 400 sq ft room - before they've ever even heard it of course.
    lmao,
    James
    3vjed80gsndx.png
  • mhardy6647
    All of which proves that Steve Martin was probably right -- 'way back when...

https://youtu.be/Cjjsz14hL48

Trigger alert: language :|
  • Clipdat
    Co-worker brought this box set in today for me to borrow.

0v32m8205e3k.png