The Tale Of 3 Tweeters

Let me start off by saying that I have been using a pair of SDA 2B's since the mid 90's.

I have used the SL2000, the RDO194, and currently, the SL2500, which I find to perform the best.

With the 13Khz peak of the SL2000, and the ringing of the RDO194, plus the rather rough crossover point between the drivers, I have not been completely happy until now.

The SL2500 is smoother and more transparent, with better timberal accuracy, with a small trade-off of being a bit thinner in the low presence range do to using these tweeters without the added capacitance.

I have run various frequency sweeps, and haven't found any obvious holes in the response.
Sony GX900ES, Micromega Stage 3, Micro Seiki BL-51/Grace 707 MKII/Signet TK7e, Polk SDA 2B's w/SL2500's, JVC HA-D990.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    It's the wrong tweeter, period.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited June 2018
    F1nut wrote: »

What he is trying to say is that that is not the correct tweeter for that speaker. It could cause a number of issues, the biggest being a weird impedance, weird phase, a wonky frequency response, and possibly (extremely unlikely) damage to your crossover. Probably not the best idea. Not saying that it won’t work, but it won’t work as well as the original or the RD0 drop in replacement.
    F1, you’ve gotta go into a little more detail when you explain things. I know I would not listen to someone, who when I asked a legitimate question, just said “you are wrong” and left it at that.
    Micah
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,598
    Can you expound on the "ringing" RD0194's?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    More than anything, the issue is using a TL Tweeter in a non-TL speaker. The XO hasn't been modified to use a 2500 properly. TL mod the XO, and then you'll understand, and also want to grab a pair of 198s.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    mlistens03 wrote: »

What he is trying to say is that that is not the correct tweeter for that speaker. It could cause a number of issues, the biggest being a weird impedance, weird phase, a wonky frequency response, and possibly (extremely unlikely) damage to your crossover. Probably not the best idea. Not saying that it won’t work, but it won’t work as well as the original or the RD0 drop in replacement.
    F1, you’ve gotta go into a little more detail when you explain things. I know I would not listen to someone, who when I asked a legitimate question, just said “you are wrong” and left it at that.
    Micah
    LMAO
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    SoundMann1 wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    More than anything, the issue is using a TL Tweeter in a non-TL speaker. The XO hasn't been modified to use a 2500 properly.

That wouldn't be entirely correct, as the official specs leave a lot to be desired.
    TL mod the XO, and then you'll understand

I already understand what this mod entails.
    and also want to grab a pair of 198s.

That would be a downgrade to the tweeter series I like the least!

He is entirely correct and the schematics leave nothing to be desired.

This ringing you're talking about does not exist. You're the only one hearing it.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel, it's already been perfected.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    mlistens03, would you like to buy a vowel?

C'mon he's 14. Do you not remember Sid the kid back in the day
  • F1nut

Sid the kid was smarter.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Must be your tinnitus.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Sid the kid was smarter.

Ouch.
    Must be your tinnitus.

I tend to be very careful with the volume, in order to keep that from happening.

Sorry F1, I probably shouldn’t have said that, but I think that if you explained a little more, it would be a lot more helpful.
  • Llama56
    Llama56 Posts: 2
    Is the RD0194-1 tweeter a better sounding tweeter than the SL2000 unit in my Monitor 10's. I am being told that the RD tweeter is smoother than the SL. I'm thinking of purchasing the RD's at $108 but need to know if it is worth the cost?
  • F1nut
    Worth ten times the cost.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874

Oh. I just LOL'd.
    Almost spewed iced coffee, too.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I need to stop opening these threads without making popcorn first....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    edited July 2018
    I still contend that the best mod I have made to my 2B's is adding SL2500 TriLaminate tweeters!

It's the wrong tweeter for the 2B's.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

The only drawback is 4-Ohm impedance.

Like I said, it's the wrong tweeter.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    That's fine, I just want to make sure no one else makes your mistake.

FYI, you can't even call them TL'd as the crossover hasn't been tweaked.

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.