This joint needs some more vintage hifi

1495051525355»

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 2,732
    Ok I'll play. Whoa!
    6hj9wjidhz2k.png
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,392
    That was kinda my guess when I saw them being offered up, as I recall. Given their locus in space, I contacted @pumpkinman and kinda sorta encouraged him to take a look. I don't believe he needed too much encouragement ;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    Optonica SA-5605:

j56l118wx3qe.jpg

My friend has one of these, sounded real nice on his pair of Kef speakers... he sold them, he thinks it was the worst mistake he ever made, but he still has the receiver.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    yngv65hkfyjt.png

more fun with a pair of EV "Wolverine" LS-12 fullrange drivers ;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,587
    edited April 27
    Years ago, I picked up a corner speaker cabinet at the end of my road one day.

Later looking in it, there was no horn where the horn slot it but the big speaker in it is a Wolverine. That speaker sounded GREAT too. I don't know what the front of the speaker cone looks like but the rear looks just like what that guy is holding from what I can remember. I still have that cabinet and speaker. B) It looks just like this one, exactly.
    uzh5xc850u3i.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    edited April 27
    a few such enclosures have passed through here, too :)
    ... and there's a small but sincere collection of those EV drivers, too :p
    I have a soft spot in my head heart for them.

24042273670_81c8fb1510_b.jpg001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

33094026905_ea76b4e235_b.jpgDSC_7144 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

edited April 27
    YEP, that's the cabinet. But yours has 3 speaker openings behind the grill. Mine has 2.

I need to pull the driver out. It's a shame there was only one on the roadside! :'(
    They're still kind of floating around everywhere.
    Remember, chance favors the prepared mind.

• mpitogompitogo Posts: 263
    @Tony M looks like very nice haul. Vintage Sansui!
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
    edited April 27
    mpitogo wrote: »
    @Tony M looks like very nice haul. Vintage Sansui!

You might be looking at my Pioneer A-88X integrated pics I got from the web to show its guts.

It looks like the vintage sansui integrated I had once. It was a 717. Man I wish I still had it and it's tuner and equalizer that matched too. :'( Video from the Web. Not mine.
  • pumpkinmanpumpkinman Posts: 6,096
    5yuah76kood7.jpeg
    9fb4mwr3felb.jpeg
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    and, and, and... what's in em'??? :)

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • verbverb Posts: 2,732
    Very cool! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    Not bad. Electrovoice OEM.
    Styrofoam LF cone. EV made a series of drivers with Styrofoam cones in the 1960s.

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1962-210/h020.html

q0xx5fk6giwj.png

(note that the driver in the 1962 catalog page scan above has a slightly different tweeter horn. In the case above, the horn is identical to the one that you'd find on an EV T35 or T35B tweeter of that era).

From the 1961 Allied catalog:

3d33u4j64tep.png

source: www.alliedcatalogs.com (1961)

edited April 28
    @mhardy6647
    Thanks for all help and information

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

ttqs5pvcnqgw.jpeg
    rn8wxi9nxcgt.jpeg

KEF 103/3 picked at an auction yesterday for $33
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,735
    9lj03ue4tfug.jpeg
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 5,362
    ptjhaix3aco8.png
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Marantz SR5011 AVR | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC |Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node | Audioengine P4 | Peachtree Nova 125SE |

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
  • pongshipongshi Posts: 362
    Here is my ADC Accutrac 4000 remote turntable. This model turntable I first saw in a Columbo episode. The table was found at Goodwill and I cleaned her up the best I could. The silver orb sensing unit and remote were acquired on ebay and I had to purchase a new stylus. Below the pic is a video of it in operation.
    r8xwahze3f5t.jpg
    tzpqlc5wahat.jpg

Living Room (current 2 channel setup)
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Dunlavy Audio Labs Signature Collection SC-IV loudspeakers (A set speakers)
    Definitive Technology Prosub 1000 subwoofer (Hooked to A set)
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded (B set speakers)
    edited June 4
    There's one of those (Accutrac, that is) in the basement here.
    There used to be two. :p

EDIT: PS, not too many knobs on one of those -- but a bevy of buttons, for sure! ;)

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 265
    Pongshi- drool! That thing is awesome.
    TV - Sony XBR 75X900E
    Amps - Marantz SR5003 , 2 x Linn Lk240’s , NAD 2400 THX, Denon 1804
    Speakers - POlk Lsim705’s ,Totem Acoustic Rainmaker's, Sonus Faber Piccolo, Definitive Technology SM350's , Sonos Play 5, 2 play 1's, Mirage Oasis MKii's
    Subwoofers - SVS SB16 Ultra, Jamo D4SUB
    Sources - Denon 2910, Sony CDP-CX355, JVC XM448BK, Sonos Connect,
    Vinyl - Project Debut III, Nagaoka MP-110, Cambridge Audio Solo, Okki Nokki RCM
    Cables - Zu Audio power cables, AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables, Linn Interconnects