Do you ever forget to just enjoy the music?

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I've had many, many, many hours listening to them set up properly before all hell came up and messed with me physically and the doctors messed with me mentally. B)
    I even have pictures to back it up too, thank God. :D

I was thinking while looking for a picture of those Advents, I could post some pictures with the dates, in "post a picture" thread every now and then. Maybe one a day or so. It was nice to see where I was back then. :)B)

For example;
    May 2013
    que0e15raxvg.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You need to get back to that Tony....
  • Tony M
    I know. :(
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    If you are in SoCal, I willl be happy to help you get things set up again.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I would come over as well to help! Too bad he's on the opposite coast!
    If you are in SoCal, I willl be happy to help you get things set up again.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Tony M wrote: »
    That Crystal Cathedral is something to behold too. I've never been there but I saw a special about it.

I used to have to go through the Charlotte area a lot and one road I traveled a lot took right by this church with a mirrored front. I couldn't take my eyes off it, since it was so beautiful, and me loving architectural wonders. I'm going to go to the web to find a picture of it if I can. I forgot the name, but the mirrored facade should get me some hits.

That was EASY. The first images on the list were of it. Calvary Baptist. Mesmerizing to me 17 years ago or more.

I must add, the homes across the street that were being built during those days were impressive in themselves. So, I would rubber-neck it down that road as more and more huge homes were built and would materialize over the top of the short trees lining that side of the road.
    ht4grtnzt5kf.png

Is that not in the OC near Disney? If I recall I walked passed it many times while I was in the area many years ago.
  • Tony M
    edited June 2018
    Thank you for the offers! ;)B)

I told my wife I could buy 400 sq. feet of laminate flooring from a seller on her Facebook Wilmington sales site and put it in the front room of the cottage. She started to laugh in her hand pretty hard.

I said what? I know, I'd have to call 10 men and a truck to help me clear the stuff out. She was still laughing and then got the words out.."You'd need a few of those storage units they bring to the house to store it for a while too. I said, good idea, they would be about the same as a storage unit. And I could have them back 2 of them right up to the porch. I'd move the steps out of the way and it would be almost a smooth walk into them.

She then stopped laughing and said;"YOU'RE NOT TAKING UP MY PARKING SPACE TO PUT A STORAGE THING THERE, no."

That little thought was cut short! :s

I don't think 2 PODS would be nearly enough to store what I have in there to clear the floor. It's about 18x21 in there. I did think about putting a lot of outside tables I could make from plywood and covering it all with a tarp, which I have 2 super huge good ones. But I thought about spiders, black widows in particular that might get onto something before I brought the stuff back in. A pregnant one at that! :# or 2 pregnant ones...Oh my God! :o:#:s

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited June 2018
    Nail on the head. I just wish I didnt have that standard or expectation. Music is only of my few outlets in life and when that experience is taken away after years of work getting where I'm at...its just disappointing and discouraging.

I look at new gear and ask myself will it really make the difference I expect or will it just be the same feeling in a chain of events.

Sometimes it's good to take a little break. Also, I have some days when I just can't find anything to listen to, to settle into.

Maybe you're satisfied, and just missing the thrill of the gear chase?

Do you have a goal? Have you lost sight of it?

If you can't pinpoint what's missing, and you want to make some moves, maybe you can expose yourself to other systems (including the room as noted above) to see how you feel?
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    msg wrote: »
    Nail on the head. I just wish I didnt have that standard or expectation. Music is only of my few outlets in life and when that experience is taken away after years of work getting where I'm at...its just disappointing and discouraging.

I look at new gear and ask myself will it really make the difference I expect or will it just be the same feeling in a chain of events.

Sometimes it's good to take a little break. Also, I have some days when I just can't find anything to listen to, to settle into.

Maybe you're satisfied, and just missing the thrill of the gear chase?

Do you have a goal? Have you lost sight of it?

If you can't pinpoint what's missing, and you want to make some moves, maybe you can expose yourself to other systems (including the room as noted above) to see how you feel?

I want lush over detail. Eventually I want to incorporate tubes in, most likely in the form of a preamp. I've been stuck with the same gear so long, no idea how many years until I can get a better amp and preamp combo. I have a wedding coming up soon to pay for as well as my honeymoon.

Banking on this promotion at work that I have an interview for Friday. If I get it a substantial raise would head my way.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2018
    Do have much to say that hasn't already been said..except try to get out and listen to some gear ..one more thing

GOOD LUCK FRIDAY!!!!!
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • codycatalist
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Do have much to say that hasn't already been said..except try to get out and listen to some gear ..one more thing

GOOD LUCK FRIDAY!!!!!

Thanks! Been working hard to get this opportunity for the last couple years, hoping for the best!

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Tony M
    Good luck @codycatalist. ;)

You've earned it! :)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Good luck Cody!

I used to forget to enjoy the music all the time with my older and cheaper system, but with the Missions and the Polks, I find myself grinning ear to ear all day long. Maybe that will change when there is something I don’t quite like.
  • codycatalist
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Good luck Cody!

I used to forget to enjoy the music all the time with my older and cheaper system, but with the Missions and the Polks, I find myself grinning ear to ear all day long. Maybe that will change when there is something I don’t quite like.

Thanks dude! I have been thinking a lot about my system today and came to a conclusion thanks to @rpf65 words. I'm going to start chasing the sound I like regardless of it is frowned upon or some would say isn't the right way to do something. I added my old Denon PRA1200 into the amp section of my integrated and it made a huge difference. It may introduce more distortion but I honestly don't care, I like some amount of distortion it warms it up. I do get more separation but the treble was calmed down and I got that emotion back.

Late last night I had that experience of smiling listening to some Linda Ronstadt which was exactly what I was after. It was a relief.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I never forget to enjoy the music. On the other hand, I do sometimes forget to enjoy life, but usually remember Friday/Saturday night.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Thanks dude! I have been thinking a lot about my system today and came to a conclusion thanks to @rpf65 words. I'm going to start chasing the sound I like regardless of it is frowned upon or some would say isn't the right way to do something.
    Spoken like a true junkie in denial.

I had that off center imaging thing a while back. Can't remember what I did to fix it. I think it turned out to be a cable. Or earwax. One.

Wtf is this 11.2oz beer crap, anyway?
    Damn koozy fits like a flappy condom!
    Not that I know what that's like.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Firstly good luck on Friday. Thinking about that may well be taking away from your experience.
    As for enjoying the music, there will always be that next piece of gear that you think will finally make the difference. Think about that after you listen, and enjoy what you have while you listen.
    The comment above about treating your room is spot on and will make more of a difference than money spent on more/better gear.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    My room, built my way. My amps, built to my own design and quality. My turntable, lovingly crafted and restored to my liking. SDA’s restored by my own hands and signed by MP himself. Pass Labs preamp, signed by Nelson Pass...

I smile every time I enter the room and just look. :pB)

I can vouch for the above
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Cody, dunno if someone suggested it yet (ain't read all the post) but I hit "random" when I am in a rut, stops me from thinking too much.
  • codycatalist
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Cody, dunno if someone suggested it yet (ain't read all the post) but I hit "random" when I am in a rut, stops me from thinking too much.

Can I just hit random on life?

• afterburnt
    edited June 2018

don't have to hit it, life is on random! Do a hard reboot, and 86 the expectations and enjoy the ride.
  • codycatalist

don't have to hit it, life is on random! Do a hard reboot, and 86 the expectations and enjoy the ride.

Haha! I like it, I like it. I keep forgetting you're the only member I actually met. You still have a place in the north valley or all CA now?

• afterburnt
    @codycatalist I am in Prescott once a month visiting my house about a week at a time. Still two years until I am permanently there. You should come by and beat the heat for a minute.
  • codycatalist
    @codycatalist I am in Prescott once a month visiting my house about a week at a time. Still two years until I am permanently there. You should come by and beat the heat for a minute.

I go often, usually to Lynx Lake. Fish a little and dig for gold with my pops. I'm actually going again the weekend of the 16th.

• afterburnt
    Lynx is 3 miles across Highway 69 from me.
  • codycatalist
    Lynx is 3 miles across Highway 69 from me.

We will have to link up whenever you are down and jam some tunes!

• codycatalist
    Update

I got the promotion! Going to move to the Technology team as an Application Support Engineer...fancy words for a tech guy. It'll be nice to move out of the customer experience field and into something where I can jam music all day and work with numbers and SQL.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Congratulations!
    I got the promotion!

• codycatalist
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    I got the promotion!

Thanks my dude!

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Get a room already...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson