Playing "The Game"

2»

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,490
    I don't like that analogy because there are levels with a system that you reach that even poorly recorded music will still sound good. It takes a ton of work to get it there, but it can.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,623
    edited June 5
    seems appropriate:

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,531
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    seems appropriate:

HAHAHAHAHA Or maybe this one from the same album:

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 986
    seems appropriate:

I was thinking about this song throughout reading the thread! :lol:
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,355
    Viking64 wrote: »
    seems appropriate:

HAHAHAHAHA Or maybe this one from the same album:

I've been crankin that song every time I hear it for 40 years or so. I just turned it up again! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,604
    edited June 5
    And he did, he bit the dust.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,558
    F1nut wrote: »
    And he did, he bit the dust.

Among other things...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• Tony MTony M Posts: 5,355
    This is what I think of, not his private life.

Another One Bites the Dust
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation
    Jump to search
    "Another One Bites the Dust"

Single by Queen
    from the album The Game
    B-side
    "Don't Try Suicide" (US)
    "Dragon Attack" (UK)
    Released
    Format
    7", 12", CD, MC
    Genre
    Funk rock[1][2]disco[3]
    Length
    3:35
    Label
    EMIElektra (US)Mute (UK)
    Songwriter(s)
    John Deacon
    Producer(s)
    QueenMack
    Queen singles chronology

"Play the Game"
    (1980)
    "Another One Bites The Dust"
    (1980)
    "Need Your Loving Tonight"
    (1980)
    "Another One Bites the Dust" is a 1980 song by British rock band Queen. Written by bass guitarist John Deacon, the song featured on the group's eighth studio album The Game (1980). The song was a worldwide hit, charting number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks, from 4 October to 18 October (their second number-one single in the country). The song spent fifteen weeks in the Billboard top ten (the longest running top ten song of 1980), including thirteen weeks in the top five, and 31 weeks total on the chart (more than any other song in 1980). It reached number two on the Hot Soul Singles chart and the Disco Top 100 chart, and number seven on the UK Singles Chart.[4][5] The song is credited as Queen's best-selling single, with sales of over 7 million copies.[6] This version was ranked at number 34 on Billboard's All-Time Top Songs.[7]
    The song won an American Music Award for Favorite Rock Single and also garnered a Grammy Award nomination for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.[8][9]
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,467
    I think this thought is what resonated with me the most.
    mpitogo wrote: »
    But if you are only looking to reproduce artificially generated sounds do you really need to buy extremely expensive and purported very accurate gear. I also listen to electronic and have a very varied taste in music and to some extent I do agree.

Got Dayens?
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,042
    mpitogo wrote: »
    My two cents in an overly simplified version.

Why buy a Ferrari if the roads you are going to drive on suck, you are better off in a beater SUV.

I can relate, I also play piano and have played in a band and orchestra. Live music and the dynamics and acoustics of a room or a hall is hard to reproduce but its one of the aspects of what we strive. But if you are only looking to reproduce artificially generated sounds do you really need to buy extremely expensive and purported very accurate gear. I also listen to electronic and have a very varied taste in music and to some extent I do agree.

Isn't ALL recorded music artificial ? Even with live music, we all hear differently so our each individual measuring stick will vary.

Evolving ones system to best reproduce music, as per the individuals own measuring stick, is not a wasted journey.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,604
    It doesn’t matter what types of music one enjoys, the fact remains that the better the gear, the better it sounds.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Boom. End Of Thread.
    F1nut wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter what types of music one enjoys, the fact remains that the better the gear, the better it sounds.

Got Dayens?
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,042
    bf9pwygs0isb.png
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,623
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    That would actually probably sound really good for the electronic music I like. lol.

Got Dayens?
    8yruugwctzn6.jpg
    mmmm sugary oat cereal
    Got Dayens?
    Clipdat wrote: »
    mmmm sugary oat cereal

That was sort of a Lucky Charms knock-off. King Vitamin was a Cap'n Crunch knock-off which always had some of the coolest prizes of the 1970's. :p

qpg0g2huw960.jpg
  • pongshipongshi Posts: 356
    Audio equipment is objectively measurable. Just because our gear measures accurately, does not mean it always sounds better. There are always multiple components and multiple variations involved. There is a synergy involved in our musical systems. Not many put together a system for straight accuracy alone. It has to pass the ear test and that is totally subjective. If the music we like is not exactly as it was intended, so be it. We like what we like. Time to get off the high horse.
    Living Room (current 2 channel setup)
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Dunlavy Audio Labs Signature Collection SC-IV loudspeakers (A set speakers)
    Definitive Technology Prosub 1000 subwoofer (Hooked to A set)
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded (B set speakers)
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 326
    Kansas' version:

2»