Do you ever forget to just enjoy the music?

Recently upgraded my SDAs, got an awesome dedicated listening room now with a decent placement set up. Lately though I feel I have been too critical of my system and have forgot to enjoy it.

Off center placement, warmth seems missing, I just always seem to find SOMETHING that kills the imerrsive feeling I had before. Been a damper on my recent experiences and just don’t seem to sit and smile much anymore. I know sometimes you gotta sit back and just enjoy the music however it seems to be getting harder to do so.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I am cool to sit back and enjoy, the next conquest is at least 5K down the road so I don't have a choice. Actually I am where I want to be, the one thing that keeps calling is adding to the music collection which is unmanageable at this point. That will nickle and dime you into keeping the breaks on.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    No. I enjoy it whether it's Pandora streaming out of a stock stereo from a 23 year old Honda or records at home.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Nightfall wrote: »
    No. I enjoy it whether it's Pandora streaming out of a stock stereo from a 23 year old Honda or records at home.

That's the thing, I get so much more out of basic in ears connected to my computer at work than my rig. It's the expectation factor that I set for my stereo that seems to be the downfall.

Whether my stock radio in my IA or the full after market stereo in my Corolla, I always LOVE jamming out in the car.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • codycatalist
    DSkip wrote: »
    Is it the intimacy that is missing? That is the key component for me and it took a while to get back to it when I moved houses. Transplanting a system can have some effects that take a while to figure out.

You could say that, I don’t get that emotion and huge sound feeling that once was. It seems more like a chore than a hobby lately. Move speakers an inch here, an inch there. Changed from a solid furniture middle piece to a small granite coffee table with plenty of open space between the speakers etc etc.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited June 2018

I will still enjoy the heck out of music in my cottage even though my couch has had something on it for a year+. But when I walk in, I almost ALWAYS turn the door system on. The POLK LS90's have been hooked up to it for years now. They quickly fill the front room with GREAT sound!

I used to, if something great was playing through the LS90's, I'd turn my main system on and listen to a favorite song on the radio through the SDA-SRS2's. I know it's better to warm an amp up first, but my old ears aren't that sensitive anymore.

And in my main bathroom, I have an OLD GE portable radio/casette player. Navy grey in color. 1 5" speaker I think. And it fills the bathroom with decent sound. It's been in there for years. Still kickin. Pic. is from the web.
    b5ot3mirabb2.png
    And this ringing or high buzzing that started a year or two ago SUCKS. But sometimes it's low in volume and I forget about it. I'm glad when that happens. :) I'm going to have my ears checked this year. Maybe they'll have a medical reason why and a possible cure, but I'm not going to expect much from what I've read. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    I smile every time I enter the room and just look. :pB)

I thought it was established via some pics you posted in the past that you don't smile John?

J/K! o:)
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    I can kind of relate to this, yeah.

I certainly spent my share of time over the past few years listening to systems, and not necessarily listening to music. The first year was brutal! I was absolutely obsessed. I slept little for a few months in a row, reading; consuming. Second year, similar, but not quite as bad. Year 3, I started settling down a bit. I can understand the sense of feeling like you're enjoying music more on lesser platforms because you're just listening to the music without the stringent performance standard. It's liberating in a way.

On the other hand, when things are sounding good on these systems we strive to develop, it sure is pleasing, staying up too late, in a zone, compelled to keep listening to just one more, marveling at the details...
    I disabled signatures.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited June 2018
    deleted.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • codycatalist
    msg wrote: »
    I can kind of relate to this, yeah.

I certainly spent my share of time over the past few years listening to systems, and not necessarily listening to music. The first year was brutal! I was absolutely obsessed. I slept little for a few months in a row, reading; consuming. Second year, similar, but not quite as bad. Year 3, I started settling down a bit. I can understand the sense of feeling like you're enjoying music more on lesser platforms because you're just listening to the music without the stringent performance standard. It's liberating in a way.

On the other hand, when things are sounding good on these systems we strive to develop, it sure is pleasing, staying up too late, in a zone, compelled to keep listening to just one more, marveling at the details...

Nail on the head. I just wish I didnt have that standard or expectation. Music is only of my few outlets in life and when that experience is taken away after years of work getting where I'm at...its just disappointing and discouraging.

I look at new gear and ask myself will it really make the difference I expect or will it just be the same feeling in a chain of events.

• codycatalist
    I did post this originally to just vent, I'm young and have time to work on it. I just hope the gumption stays.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I did post this originally to just vent, I'm young and have time to work on it. I just hope the gumption stays.

The fault lies with members on this forum.

Ignorance is much cheaper.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    edited June 2018
    ....What?

Edit: Re-read it and I understand what you meant now. Reading comprehension fail.
    rpf65 wrote: »
    The fault lies with members on this forum.

Post edited by Clipdat on
  • codycatalist
    edited June 2018
    rpf65 wrote: »

True but too late for that. Well and my Uncle is to blame for showing me vintage Polk.

• Clipdat
    You could put together so many great setups and amazing listening rooms with all your gear!!!

I love to think of all the different possibilities and combinations, and then trying them out, swapping components, switching out ICs, SCs, PCs, and trying them out again. :)
    Tony M wrote: »
    I was fine with my ESS AMT1B's and then I had to go and buy those Beautiful Polk Audio Monitor 10's w/Peerless tweeters from GoodWill for 24.00 about 15 years ago. Look at me now.. :D

• Clipdat
    92169ded09998caaf2c2849a5e2095bdee91ff95332f5765904586ed973a5090.jpg
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm telling you brother. Sale-a-thon then buy-a-thon! Getting all that gear out of there will only make your current system sound better too!

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    No, emphatically. I never forget to enjoy the 'tunes.
    . . . . 'til someone knocks on my door . . .

My MO lately has been tons of great quality, non-analytical listening ...
    My system is coming together nicely. I'm calling Jim Salk next week to order another F12 Rythmik for my small-ish space. 2 subs of this caliber can handle any "monitor" out there, IMHO

When I buckle-in and listen to the NS Supremo (DAC) . . . whoa!
    This is a highly recommended piece, kiddos! Reach out to Skip for info

Guess what, I'm enjoying it more than ever. Not over analyzing this, that and the other idiosyncrasy.

YET, the rabbit hole calls me, loud and clear.
    btw, Where has Loud & Clear been? I miss that dude . . .

Skip, I owe you a call . . . soon
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • codycatalist
    I was fine with my ESS AMT1B's and then I had to go and buy those Beautiful Polk Audio Monitor 10's w/Peerless tweeters from GoodWill for 24.00 about 15 years ago. Look at me now.. :D
    h20x180np8ln.png

Haha you have quite the collection! Maybe I need to bring the new large advents in for a different simpler sound then switch back.

• codycatalist
    Going to start moving the speakers around again. See if I cant fix this left focused imaging issue.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    I just enjoy the music. On one of my rigs , car stereo, iPod.....
  • Tony M
    edited June 2018
    h20x180np8ln.png

Haha you have quite the collection! Maybe I need to bring the new large advents in for a different simpler sound then switch back.

I have a pair, BUT, I need all 4 drivers. I've owned 2 pairs at one time though. These in the back room came from Craig's list. "perfect Advent cabinets out at the road. Come and get them if you want to replace what's missing."
    You can just see their corners and sides behind those JBL subs with those 2 midrange speakers on top.
    lwwnlvd7nvn3.png

I got in my car since it was about 3 miles away. I've talked a few guys who also saw the ad and went. But I had already got them. I was in bad shape and never did order the speakers and woofers from Ebay yet. The cabinets are like new. So are the grills. The speakers aren't that much to me now so a rebuild is easily affordable. Crossovers...Not so much.

I might get around to buying those speakers and tweeters some day.
  • codycatalist
    On a side note since this is The Clubhouse and I can get away with it here. I'm trying to see if my older denon preamp will make a difference. If I hook it to my integrated amp's main in I still have to adjust the volume on the amp. Should I not pass 12 o clock on each simultaneously?

• codycatalist
    h20x180np8ln.png

I have a pair, BUT, I need all 4 drivers. I've owned 2 pairs at one time though. These in the back room came from Craig's list. "perfect Advent cabinets out at the road. Come and get them if you want to replace what's missing."
    You can just see their corners and sides behind those JBL subs with those 2 midrange speakers on top.
    lwwnlvd7nvn3.png

I got in my car since it was about 3 miles away. I've talked a few guys who also saw the ad and went. But I had already got them. I was in bad shape and never did order the speakers and woofers from Ebay yet. The cabinets are like new. So are the grills. The speakers aren't that much to me now so a rebuild is easily affordable. Crossovers...Not so much.

I might get around to buying those speakers and tweeters some day.

I remember following your original post about getting those beasts. I worked for a tech company that had a very similar set up in their meeting room.

• Tony M
    edited June 2018
    Did they have parties in the room too?

I'm blown away from how GREAT these JBLs sound. Just useing a reg. receiver was all I needed for a few minutes of testing.

I can only imagine the Concerts this church had using these VERY POWERFUL speakers. And what did they replace them with? Something smaller maybe? I don't know yet. o:) It is a HUGE church building. Here's a video from the outside.

https://www.facebook.com/collegeacres/videos/1433564490088503/?t=0
  • codycatalist
    Did they have parties in the room too?

I'm blown away from how GREAT these JBLs sound. Just useing a reg. receiver was all I needed for a few minutes of testing.

I can only imagine the Concerts this church had using these VERY POWERFUL speakers. And what did they replace them with? Something smaller maybe? I don't know yet. o:) It is a HUGE church building. Here's a video from the outside.
    https://www.facebook.com/collegeacres/videos/1433564490088503/?t=36

That is huge church indeed! I don't think I've seen one so big before, especially not here in the valley. Biggest I can think of is the Morman temple in downtown Mesa.

1pbte7s5umrz.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I love that Temple....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    edited June 2018
    That Crystal Cathedral is something to behold too. I've never been there but I saw a special about it.

I used to have to go through the Charlotte area a lot and one road I traveled a lot took right by this church with a mirrored front. I couldn't take my eyes off it, since it was so beautiful, and me loving architectural wonders. I'm going to go to the web to find a picture of it if I can. I forgot the name, but the mirrored facade should get me some hits.

That was EASY. The first images on the list were of it. Calvary Baptist. Mesmerizing to me 17 years ago or more.

I must add, the homes across the street that were being built during those days were impressive in themselves. So, I would rubber-neck it down that road as more and more huge homes were built and would materialize over the top of the short trees lining that side of the road.
    ht4grtnzt5kf.png