i-Nuke 3000 for sub

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
edited June 2018 in Electronics
Anyone using any of the i nukes behringer amps for a sub? I have two ten inch subs wired for 8 ohm load in a diy enclosure. Ive been running it on my beloved NAD 906 with one channel bridged to 90 watts. The other channels are not used. It sounds great and very impressive with only 90 watts. I think most people would be suprised that it only being fed 90 watts.

With that said i want a larger amp. The NAD is like a space heater behind my couch. Im sure a class d will run much cooler and provide more power.

I know more is not always better. I just wanted to know if the i nuke amps will run two tens with authority?

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I am not but i heard a HUGE HT system using them and they did move thoes 21" legacy subs nicely.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    I had one of those at one time that died on me after a few months. Never really pushed it hard I wouldn't buy another one.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    It will work.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited June 2018
    I would look into a Crown amp, like the XLi800. It never got hot for me, in fact the air coming out of the back was cooler than the air going in. 200 Watts into 8 ohms stereo, 300 Watts into 4 ohms stereo, and 600 Watts into 8 ohms bridged. All with .5% THD. Fans are not too noticeable either. Only when there is nothing playing can I hear them. Any of the XLi series would serve you well for what you are after, and so would the XLS.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2018
    I love Crown, the thing with the iNuke thats nice (and missing from the Crown) is the DSP.

The DSP in the iNuke is pretty much the main reason people pick it over Crown amps. I hate them but begrudgingly admit they offer a better package than a straight Crown amp.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I love Crown, the thing with the iNuke thats nice (and missing from the Crown) is the DSP.

The DSP in the iNuke is pretty much the main reason people pick it over Crown amps. I hate them but begrudgingly admit they offer a better package than a straight Crown amp.

If you have audyssey xt32 with sub eq does it matter? I’m curious as I am debating a sub build this summer...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • CH46E
    edited June 2018
    gwh wrote: »
    I had one of those at one time that died on me after a few months. Never really pushed it hard I wouldn't buy another one.

Thanks, if i do go with the inuke ill get an extended warranty.

Rooftop, good question. I have YPAO and wonder if that will do it. I think the xt32 has better options for sub set up than my Yamaha.

Mlistens, ill take a look at the Crowns. Thanks
  • CH46E
    After looking at the Crown i notice it is not 4 ohm stable for bridged mode. Nor is it 2 ohm stable in stereo. Id like a bit more flexibility for future use.

At least on paper the inuke seems to really top the Crown with power and options.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2018
    rooftop59 wrote: »

If you have audyssey xt32 with sub eq does it matter? I’m curious as I am debating a sub build this summer...

Think about being able to add boost starting at a specific frequency AFTER you run XT32. With XT all you can do is boost the ENTIRE Frequency Range of the sub by adjusting the level.

What if you decide you want to start boosting at 40hz to 20hz by say 12 db.... You cant with XT32.

With the iNuke software you can. This screenshot is from a MiniDSP, but the functionally I'm using in it is in the iNuke as well.

Example image at link

Additionally a SUPER NICE feature is you can limit the voltage it puts out. So lets say your sub can handle a max of 1000 watts, but the amp can dish out 2000 watts. You can put the voltage equivalent to 1000 watts into the software and it WONT LET the amp put out more than that. IE it saves your sub from being overdriven.

So the DSP adds some additional flexibility with regards to adding PEQ, additional filters/boosts, etc.
    CH46E wrote: »
    After looking at the Crown i notice it is not 4 ohm stable for bridged mode. Nor is it 2 ohm stable in stereo. Id like a bit more flexibility for future use.

At least on paper the inuke seems to really top the Crown with power and options.

What you talking bout Willis? I have 2 Crown XLS2000's and they can do 2100w @ 4 ohm bridged..... or 1050 @ 2 ohms in stereo.....

I think ALL the XLS series are 4 ohm bridgeable, and 2 ohm stable (the two go together)

ScreenHunter_192_Apr._14_16.16_original.jpg

The XLI Series are the next step below them, and you are correct, they are NOT 4 ohm bridgeable

XLI_original.png

Something to keep in mind is no matter HOW you slice it, you WILL WANT to replace the stock fan in the iNuke series. Its well documented how easy it is to do, as well as what fan to replace, however without it, you WILL hear it 24/7.

@ZLTFUL runs some of them and can comment further on their feature set
  • rooftop59
    gwh wrote: »

Thanks, if i do go with the inuke ill get an extended warranty.

Rooftop, good question. I have YPAO and wonder if that will do it. I think the xt32 has better options for sub set up than my Yamaha.

Mlistens, ill take a look at the Crowns. Thanks

How recent is your yammie? I read a review on the rx-a2060 I believe that said it did a great job with the subs. I don’t think my rx-a1010 touched the sub except for volume and distance...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow
    Paul, read my edited post. Want to make sure you see that link I added.
  • CH46E
    edited June 2018
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Think about being able to add boost starting at a specific frequency AFTER you run XT32. With XT all you can do is boost the ENTIRE Frequency Range of the sub by adjusting the level.

What if you decide you want to start boosting at 40hz to 20hz by say 12 db.... You cant with XT32.

With the iNuke software you can. This screenshot is from a MiniDSP, but the functionally I'm using in it is in the iNuke as well.

Example image at link

Additionally a SUPER NICE feature is you can limit the voltage it puts out. So lets say your sub can handle a max of 1000 watts, but the amp can dish out 2000 watts. You can put the voltage equivalent to 1000 watts into the software and it WONT LET the amp put out more than that. IE it saves your sub from being overdriven.

So the DSP adds some additional flexibility with regards to adding PEQ, additional filters/boosts, etc.

What you talking bout Willis? I have 2 Crown XLS2000's and they can do 2100w @ 4 ohm bridged..... or 1050 @ 2 ohms in stereo.....

I think ALL the XLS series are 4 ohm bridgeable, and 2 ohm stable (the two go together)

ScreenHunter_192_Apr._14_16.16_original.jpg

The XLI Series are the next step below them, and you are correct, they are NOT 4 ohm bridgeable

XLI_original.png

Something to keep in mind is no matter HOW you slice it, you WILL WANT to replace the stock fan in the iNuke series. Its well documented how easy it is to do, as well as what fan to replace, however without it, you WILL hear it 24/7.

@ZLTFUL runs some of them and can comment further on their feature set

I only looked at the XLi series, did not see any 4 ohm bridged or 2 ohm stereo ratings.

My Yamaha is the RXA- 1050. 7.2 with DTSx and Atmos.so kinda on the newer side

Also i had not idea all the fetures that Inuke has. Thats a huge plus.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2018
    As I mentioned the XLi series (most basic stripped down Crown series) does not have the ability to be bridged at 4 ohms, or run at 2 ohms in stereo.

The XLS series has both of those options. So any of the XLS2XX2 models will fit what you need, except not have the DSP options you may want/need.

You can augment that missing feature in the Crowns with a MiniDSP, but thats adding more cost.

Its the route I went, but I'm weird like that. I bought the amps for their amp abilities and ignored the DSP aspect as I could augment that with something else, and I like the MiniDSP better, but again, thats all personal preference.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The biggest complaint people have about the iNukes is the fan noise.
    If it's in another room, not an issue.
    If it is within 15 feet of you, it *will* be noticeable.

It is an easy plug and play fix though with minimal mechanical skills and 1 or 2 80mm Noctua fans depending on the model.
    They move nearly the same amount of air and are inaudible at 1 foot.

All of that being said, I don't think I would go another route for a budget subwoofer amp. Heck, I am even temporarily running my mains on an NU4-6000 and as @EndersShadow and @lightman1 can attest, they sound darned good.

I did pick up an FP14000 clone amp recently but the purpose is to run 4 18" DVC subs to above reference levels in my theater while the other 2 18s will still be running off one of my many iNukes.

BTW, none of mine are DSP versions.
    While I appreciate the idea of being able to tweak things at another level, the tweaks that can be made in XT32 are good enough for me and with sealed enclosures, I really have no need to run a high pass filter for the subs.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • rooftop59
    Thx Dan! Lots to think about...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    .....and as @EndersShadow and @lightman1 can attest, they sound darned good.

Nope, they sound like (censored)(censored) and you should just give them to me and save your ears and sanity :wink:

• mlistens03

XLi is not, but the XLS is, as mentioned above.
    XLS is class D, while XLi is class AB. Given the history of Crown, I think that my XLi800 may outlive me :wink:
    I don’t know what the ratings are on any of the iNukes before, but I have listened to my Crown XLi and an iNuke at the same time (well, switching, but you know what I mean) and the Crown was the clear winner in sound quality. I know the Crowns very reliable, and I have heard that the iNukes are not. I think that you should go with the XLS (imo, of course), but it is your call and both will probably sound good and serve their purpose.
    Oh also, the fans in my XLi are silent, and I’ve heard that the fans in the XLS are the same way.
    Micah
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    edited June 2018
    FWIW -- I had thought about using one of the iNuke amplifiers with DSP or one of the Crown Class D ("Drivecore") amps with DSP as a subwoofer amplifier... but ended up taking a chance on the just introduced (at the time) Class D plate amps with DSP from Parts Express.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250dsp-250w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-with-dsp--300-8010

eh6owidoqxk0.png

(they now have, I think, three different models)

So far, so good.

39959755992_1ca4744800_b.jpgDSC_0484 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

38047648301_4927f0eb6a_b.jpgDSC_9751 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mlistens03
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    FWIW -- I had thought about using one of the iNuke amplifiers with DSP or one of the Crown Class D ("Drivecore") amps with DSP as a subwoofer amplifier... but ended up taking a chance on the just introduced (at the time) Class D plate amps with DSP from Parts Express.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250dsp-250w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-with-dsp--300-8010

eh6owidoqxk0.png

(they now have, I think, three different models)

So far, so good.

39959755992_1ca4744800_b.jpgDSC_0484 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

38047648301_4927f0eb6a_b.jpgDSC_9751 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Ooh! Aah!
    Very nice build, and I’ve seen some videos on those amps, they seem to be very well built and perform well. I think these would be a good option for you as well.
  • CH46E
    Ok, just bridged my Parasound 2250 v2 and at 8 ohms its rated for 750 watts. The subs could certainly use more power that the NAD has. Im actually shocked by the difference in output. Did not think two 10 inch Infinity CMMD woofers in a sealed enclsure (not car audio subs) could create so much pressure. Far more than needed!

I think i may try the i-Nuke based on price/power + dsp.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    There is more to that subwoofer than meets the eye.
    The box contains two 15" DVC drivers; the other one's mounted on the underside, firing up into the enclosure.

34211237723_4c0a931f26_b.jpgDSC_8306 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

It was a prototype. Not sure if it ever went into production or not -- but it is fun.

PS I am not really a subwoofer guy, but the Altec 604E Duplexes don't go very low, and they do (IMO) benefit from some judicious augmentation.

37994004266_718a26873b_b.jpgDSC_9749 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    .....and as @EndersShadow and @lightman1 can attest, they sound darned good.

Nope, they sound like (censored)(censored) and you should just give them to me and save your ears and sanity :wink:

Agreed...
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I own both the Crown XLi800 and XLS1002 and they are solid amps.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2018
    I also have a Crown XLS 1502 and it power my SVS CS Ultra fine. I chose the Crown because I wanted to use RCA inputs without having to mod a beringher. I also read the Crowns are quieter. The fan on it never turns on so, can't get much quieter than that. It's a monster and so is the sub. I found it for $230 something brand new on ebay. Bridged, dual, doesn't matter...it's got plenty of cojones.