Crossover Questions (Inductors)

Hi, I originally posted this on the "Modifications to the RTA 15TL" (Decato Mod) thread but decided to move it here as a new topic instead since that thread is maybe a bit tired after all these years.

Question. Specifically regarding this Decato Mod (but could be a general discussion as well), what result would you get from using 16 awg copper foil inductors over the 16 awg wire-wound air core inductors? Also, what would be the result of using either a 1.70 mH or a 1.80mH inductors (readily available stock sizes) over the seemingly oddball 1.75 mH inductors?

Same questions relating to the 19 awg 0.22 mH inductors in the tweeter circuit...

As I said these particular questions are specific to the Decato Mod for the RTA 15TL's but I am very interested in this as a general discussion on the topic as well. I would just like to better understand the effects of these changes in any instance (changes in awg, mH, wire v. foil construction, etc.).

Thanks for your perspectives and experience.

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    I don't know about a difference in sound between foil and wire. The foil inductors sure look pretty, though. When I was looking at foil inductors, none of them had fine enough foil for my purposes--I needed 18 or 20 AWG equivalent.

Although both are "16 AWG", is there a difference in DC resistance?

I'd expect that being "off" by 0.05mH would make no musical difference, but you could always order the 1.80mH and then unwind it to 1.75mH.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    With inductors it's best to be spot on the original value.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ogrebelle
    Ogrebelle Posts: 13
    Thanks for the input Schurkey and F1. However...I was hoping for more of a discussion with more participation and input. As I said in the original post, I would just like to better understand the effects of these changes in any instance (changes in awg, mH, wire v. foil construction, etc.). Basically, in general terms, what happens musically when each of these variables are changed independent of the others? The thread is getting views so there seem to be others who are at least a little interested in it too.
    Thanks.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    What happens musically is the crossover slope changes. Usually not for the better. Some inductors saturate easily. They're are crossover programs out there for you to see for yourself how small changes can affect the whole network.
    Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one...
  • Ogrebelle
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one...

Now that's funny! And I totally get your drift... I'll consider the topic closed on that note.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    F1nut wrote: »
    With inductors it's best to be spot on the original value.

Both inductance and (DC) resistance.
  • Ogrebelle
    Good input thanks mhardy6647.

BTW, pitdogg2's comment makes me think that all of the views are simply the rubber-neckers just looking for the trainwreck. Seems to happen a bit around here. LOL

Time to watch Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, Caps v. Knights...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Ogrebelle wrote: »
    Time to watch Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, Caps v. Knights...

I am torn between rooting for both teams :|
  • Ogrebelle
    Me too but it's Ovi's time. Go Caps! Honestly, I'll be happy either way. The whole Vegas story is just unreal.