Cool score part two

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
I have to stop trolling marketplaces

Original owner
Grills, crates, stands, manuals, everything. Need a good polish but otherwise... Dang

996bgtvqmqh0.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Ha! Didn't you JUST get those Def Tech's like....two weeks ago? Or has it even been that long? LOL.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Man Im always looking and flipping...

I had the LSiM703 for like 4 months lol... the computer rig is like a fun setup since I spend a lot of time here lol

Have to decide which I want to keep... just cant turn down a good deal! :p
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Sorry to be an idiot, but what are they?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Wilson Audio Cubb's.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Wilson Audio Cubs
  • treitz3
    Hey, that's not fair! you texted me that they were cubb's with 2 "B's". I tried to sound smart but failed miserably. Thanks Trey. *walks away with head down*

Tom
  • VR3
    edited June 2018
    Haha, they might have two b's, but maybe just one.

I like the Tioxid focal tweeter, it is also notable that this was the last user serviceable tweeter focal ever made, so in the event you need to repair, $100!

Every tweeter after that? Around $1k and shipping it to France, for the higher end stuff
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    NICE! B)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    They look cool.
  • VR3
    thanks guys, all luck on my part. She even threw in a set of MIT speaker cables for good measure lol

These things near field are pretty impressive
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    I think the only reason you need to ship the new tweeters to them is because they're beryllium and that's quite toxic stuff for people like you and meet him play with...
  • VR3
    The new stuff does not have a removable faceplate where as the Tioxid build did
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Sounds like an ex-wife unloading gear and not really knowing the true value of it?? Haha
    VR3 wrote: »
    thanks guys, all luck on my part. She even threw in a set of MIT speaker cables for good measure lol

These things near field are pretty impressive

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Nice score.

You could lay it down for one serious center channel... B)
  • VR3
    Nah, they sound better as a pair
  • treitz3
    Why in the ever living world would you want to....

Never mind.

Tom
  • VR3
    They actually do sell them single for a center channel... I just don't need an 80 pound, 22 inch deep center channel. I don't live at the Biltmore haha
  • VR3
    After listening to these for a bit, they are similar to the mezzo utopia in that their presentation is more of a performance versus a recreation, very entertaining speakers with a brilliant Soundstage. The mezzo utopia is the better speaker though to these ears
  • VR3
    So after 6 months I figured something out... And I don't feel to bad as the internet is littered with "the grills don't stay on" banter

These nifty little Allen wrench inserts are to secure the grill to the speaker so that it can't be removed without it...

Feel soooo stupid but I reallllly like this function.

7ywmwkb5hna8.jpg
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I think you need to start using a highly polished stainless steel Allen wrench so that you can get the proper torque on those in the future.
  • VR3
    True that, the rust helps with grip
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Interesting design on the grills.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • VR3
    I thought so, for the last 6 months I kept marveling how higher end manufactures can't seem to master the grill... Lol

I was taking these apart earlier, can't help myself! Nothing to see though, crossovers are fully encapsuled in epoxy... Wonk wonk wonk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    VR3 wrote: »
    I thought so, for the last 6 months I kept marveling how higher end manufactures can't seem to master the grill... Lol

I was taking these apart earlier, can't help myself! Nothing to see though, crossovers are fully encapsuled in epoxy... Wonk wonk wonk

picture or it didn't happen Trey you know the rules :D
  • VR3
    Wilson definitely built them to where if you want to take them apart you have to be committed, I removed the back plate and then removed all of the screws to the second! Back plate... There is only about one inch of slack in the wires and the back plate... Since this back plate is recessed 1 inch, you can just barely see in the speaker
  • VR3
    I have been enjoying these bad boys the past month, running them on my main rig gear while the Utopias are in storage...

I have so say, these things are excellent. I feel the older focal tweeter is not as detailed as the newer one but dare I say it is more musical. These cubs are perhaps a little more analytical than the Utopias but are still very enjoyable.

Near field on the office rig has never sounded better.
  • VR3
    Having these in the big room have been very fun. The pass labs unleashed an astonishing 22 ft wide Soundstage that you can reach into. They only dig to 50hz so the bass is good for what they are. Fun stuff. Fantastic "little" monitor.