To strap or not to strap

Hello polkies! My question is will my 3.1tl’s benefit if I strap my audiosource amp? Or will it not make a difference since the amp is common ground already?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Do not worry about tying the grounds together. It will not make a difference and may damage the amp or speakers.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Hello polkies! My question is will my 3.1tl’s benefit if I strap my audiosource amp? Or will it not make a difference since the amp is common ground already?
    If you improve the ground connection, for example from 3 ohms to 0.1 ohm, you would have a performance improvement for the SDA circuit. Probably audible, although I've never tested to see how much resistance is acceptable. I know that 20 ohms made my 1Bs unlistenable--but I don't know about 3 ohms, or one ohm.
    Do not worry about tying the grounds together. It will not make a difference and may damage the amp or speakers.
    If it's a common-ground amp or semi-common ground, there's no downside. Even non-bridged/balanced monoblocs can be tied together (Adcom 565 monoblocs, for example.)

If it's a bridged/balanced amp, yeah--bad things will happen.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Strapping grounds raises the noise floor. Since your amp is already common ground there is no reason or benefit from strapping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk