Help with speaker recommendations for a Dolby Atmos System...

I'll make this simple peeps! I have an SR8012 going 7.4.2 and need help with speaker recommendations??? I have RTiA9's on the way and also a CSiA6 for my fronts.

I need suggestions and/or help to find sides, rears, and ceiling speakers that are in the wall and can take what my receiver can deliver and also blend with the RTiA Series fronts.

Receiver - SR8012
HTPC - Custom Built
Mains - RTiA9's
Center - CSiA6

...and a bunch of cables and wires waiting to be used again!!! B)

Thanks
Jerod

6uihwtv9gztq.jpg
lzhdo255k5p2.jpg
7nww5e41u3dl.jpg

Answers

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    For surrounds i would recommend the RTiA 3s or F/XiAs (I think that’s what they are called now). For in ceiling, I have no idea.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    For in ceiling I would say MC/SC60's. https://www.polkaudio.com/products/mc60 Don't need much up there as these are for effects.

Sides FX https://www.polkaudio.com/products/fxia6
    and rears RTi-A1https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia1

Nice receiver, I noticed the back of your cabinet is not open, Look into AC Infinity cabinet cooler or a top placed cooler as that AVR will get warm.

You didn't say what Sub you'll be sporting. If you don't have one yet look into SVS or HSU.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    edited June 2018
    If you think that AVR or any AVR for that matter is capable of driving the A9's, think again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• My subs will more than likely be the last addition to my system. I took some pics of when I was upgrading the HTPC and making the cables/wires prettier! I custom ordered HDMI and Power cables from Amazon so that there now is no slack anyplace.
    Not that there is much need nowadays anyway! HDMI do all cable B)

As you can see the units have plenty of breathing room and I placed the PC on top for the heat that rises from the amp gets sucked up into the front of the HTPC by it's 2 4" front fans and blown out the back and top by about 5 other fans.

I also am an A+ Certified PC Tech so air flow in computers and such is a topic well covered... B)

The sides and backs are bookshelf but I have no room thus I am looking for in-wall speakers

The cabinet was once a cheap $50-70 Walmart entertainment Center for tube TV's that got modified over the years and will more than likely again unless you all know where they sell short cabinets with a center speaker location that will fit the CSiA6 but MOST OF ALL I love glass doors seems like every design nowadays is for a house that has no dust??? Later all and thanks!!

Power and Low voltage totally separated! B)

hsecegkha8fv.jpg
    vvxf1ofgp7lo.jpg

• Yes, I know my HTPC is old an beat up but it works!
    I also am just starting to design the new one to go with the SR8012...
    But I'm drifting from my speaker topic!!!

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRWYJEC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1FYP70RALFD5W&psc=1
  • mrloren
    edited June 2018
    Welcome to the wonderful world of home theater :)

Yes F1nut is 100% correct, your AVR even as it's a big top shelf AVR an amp is recommended to drive the A9 to the fullest. A good Parasound or if your on a budget Emotiva amp will drive them nicely. A two or three channel is all you will need, AVR can pickup the rest easy.

I build my own stands. I make them all open, I'd rather spend a few more minutes cleaning and dusting than limiting airflow.

HTPC ever consider going with a NAS and DLNA? I use to use a HTPC but found the NAS a lot more simple for the entire home.

So in the end it's all up to you and how much you want to invest in this. Get your surrounds then a good SVS or HSU sub then an amp.

Cheers
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Closed, is actually easier to control airflow as you define where cold air enters the cabinet and the where it exits. In which the computers 8+ fans handle the upper heat and that rising from the amp.

I need speakers that can handle an abusive mate behind the controls for one minute they may be driving Bach while the next Five Finger Death Punch......

The NAS sits to the left of the TV next to the AC Router and Telephony Switch and also Alexa. The NAS mirrors the HTPC as it also holds 8 Terabyte and as you may notice via the pic my HTPC is also the main PC that I use for email, work, and what not from my reclining couch with my Wireless mouse and Keyboards......

To be totally honest, while the NAS and HTPC both utilize my Lifetime Plex subscription the need for them both are lessening by the day!!! Alexa handles all my music now where ever I am in the house or yard! she is digitally linked to my SR8012 and will play whatever song I can think of for I have Amazon Prine and Unlimited I do playlist whatever she remembers them all. Handles unlimited photos and sorts them by facial recognition. Can stream whatever I feel like now and even the Marantz SR8012 is linked to the web and 1,000's of radio stations from all over the world!
    [Egypt loves 80's rock! :* Love the song! What did the DJ say??? B) ]

AS for the A9's the SR8012 can be turned into a pre-amp for the fronts at any time either way! :p

Thanks all for the welcome but before my Marantz, I ran a Yamaha RX-V1070 since 1993-4 so I am not exactly new to audio/video go discrete amplification!!! >:)

I think I have a good idea for my ceiling speakers, thanks, however, am I going to have to forget about in-walls for the rear and sides and just mount those higher and just position them like theaters do letting the SR8012 map out the sound levels and such with its Audyssey setup??? I should go to my Dolby Atmos theater and just look at their set up???

1b74azpb8pk5.jpg
  • mrloren
    Skip is right on. I got a great demo of the Deftechs on my Polk tour. If you got the coin they are the way to go.

The RTi line is made more for home theater than music. I did use RTi8 for years and kept trying different things to warm them for music. I went from Sony ES AVR to Marantz which made them good for music. Signature line is much better at music.

If you're going to playing at loud levels, yes an amp will help drive the RTi to their best. Yes you're SR8012 can be used as a pre amp, I use my SR5010 as one for my front speakers. That has worked out very good for me.

As you use your HTPC for everything else cool. I only used one for media, I found a QNAP NAS that takes it place nicely.

One thing about this forum. We love spending other people's money. Very few have regretted it. Most enjoy the recommendations.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    If you decide to keep the RTiA 9’s look at the 70-RT inceiling apeakers. They are matched to the RTi line.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Peeps are gross.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    I have this set-up:

RTi-A9's front
    CSi-A6 Center
    RT-65's in the ceiling
    RTi-A3's rear mounted on the walls
    PSW-125 Sub

Fronts & center driven by an Emotiva XPA-3
    Overheads & rears driven by Marantz SR5012 internal amp outputs
    Oppo 105 source

I like it, kids like, friends love it, most important, wife likes it................
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• mrloren
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    I have this set-up:

RTi-A9's front
    CSi-A6 Center
    RT-65's in the ceiling
    RTi-A3's rear mounted on the walls
    PSW-125 Sub

Fronts & center driven by an Emotiva XPA-3
    Overheads & rears driven by Marantz SR5012 internal amp outputs
    Oppo 105 source

I like it, kids like, friends love it, most important, wife likes it................

How's it on music?
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    The only music I play through it is the occasional offerings on AXS TV I'm interested in via DirecTV. Today is Otis Redding on Rock Legends and then Deep Purple on their Classic Album Series at 9.

As many have claimed, a little on the bright side with the XPA/RTi match-up. In my case, the HT room treatments and cables seem to have tamed that annoying issue. For most pure music listening I like to stick with my 2-channel set-ups.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• I run a very similar system with the A7's, csi A6. I went with the Fxi A4 for side surrounds and Rtia1 for the rear. For the ceiling I ran the CR60i x4 for my upgrade to atmos. I have no problems with these ceiling speakers and think they sound great with rest of the system. Very easy to install and have paintable grille and surrounds.
    Ht: CSIA6, Rtia7's, 4 polk 6.5 ceiling speakers, FXI a4 LR, Rtia1 rears, Epson 8350, 110" screen, Denon avrx6500h, Xbox one, dish network joey
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    It doesn't look like the main listening position is any more than 6'-8' away from the front stage. I'm using the painting on the wall as a reference. So, while the A9s certainly love power, I'm not surprised that the OP hasn't complained about underpowering. It may in fact sound just fine.

Of course, I'm not saying that reference level volume is correlative to dynamic performance. But, I'm curious as to where the XT32 set the channel levels after calibration.

Unlike most AVRs, the 8012 has a toro trans and heatsinks that actually do their job. It's also made in Japan. The D+M avrs made in Japan do not have the heat issues that we all know to plague the other models.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775