In honor of personal bouts of stupidity...

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Michigan!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
  • verb
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'll shall refer you to this previous posting of mine.

forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2354461#Comment_2354461

I just had to hit the link! Warning: contains graphic and downright grotesque images! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I had a stainless steel watch band arc against a car battery and instantly melt a one inch square hole in my wrist. It took 9 months for that hole to close, and a couple years for the stainless steel to be forced out...

John, you're nothing but a hot mess, lol!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2018
    I'd tell the story about changing a lightbulb, naked and damn near breaking my ribs....but...well. LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I'd tell the story about changing a lightbulb, naked and damn near breaking my ribs....but...well. LOL

I change light bulbs in my skivvies.....
    Safety first!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ]

Safety first!

Dude... you go to wedding receptions in your skivvies.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ]

Safety first!

Dude... you go to wedding receptions in your skivvies.

good times be had I'm sure.....
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    cut the tip of my left thumb off but they sowed it back on and it died and then fell off and help the tip grow back and now you could never tell it.

then 5 years later stuck my right thumb in the saw cutting aircraft parts. it finally grew back and looks normal.

Now there is a message written on the saw thats says: "No Thumbs Allowed"
    357pt4s2lov1.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2018
    Aircraft can be unforgiving beasts to work on. Just ask a Phantom plane captain. I won't link the video, but The Man From LOX was a required training film for ground personnel.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=man+from+lox&FORM=HDRSC3
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for quoting the photo again. Love it.
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Ouch.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    As long as you don't needlessly re-quote a photo of a sliced thumb, yes.
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Would it be better upside down like your quotes?

• verb
    In high school, woodshop class. Every year the trades division literally built a house which was then sold. Our class built the kitchen/bathroom cabinets.

Some of the kids, we used to call em burnouts, were more interested in building pipes for smoking weed or sneaking into the paint booth and inhaling the lacquer fumes.

This one guy, forget his name (not me I assure you :smile:), burnout, decided he was gonna rip a 4x8 sheet of oak veneer plywood on the tablesaw unassisted. Yes he was stoned at the the time.

So he began, and the sheet started to drift away from the fence. I was watching, and IIRC there was at least an inch of gap between the edge of the plywood and the fence. The saw was moaning, the friction causing the wood to burn, and then whoop!

The entire sheet of plywood took flight and flew backwards, taking this poor fellow with him, pinning him to the wall about 10 feet back.

I can say, looking at his expression, that he sobered up immediately! :smile:

He wasn't hurt, thank goodness, but hopefully scared sober. Ah, memories! :smile:
  • nooshinjohn
    verb wrote: »
    In high school, woodshop class. Every year the trades division literally built a house which was then sold. Our class built the kitchen/bathroom cabinets.

Some of the kids, we used to call em burnouts, were more interested in building pipes for smoking weed or sneaking into the paint booth and inhaling the lacquer fumes.

This one guy, forget his name (not me I assure you :smile:), burnout, decided he was gonna rip a 4x8 sheet of oak veneer plywood on the tablesaw unassisted. Yes he was stoned at the the time.

So he began, and the sheet started to drift away from the fence. I was watching, and IIRC there was at least an inch of gap between the edge of the plywood and the fence. The saw was moaning, the friction causing the wood to burn, and then whoop!

The entire sheet of plywood took flight and flew backwards, taking this poor fellow with him, pinning him to the wall about 10 feet back.

I can say, looking at his expression, that he sobered up immediately! :smile:

He wasn't hurt, thank goodness, but hopefully scared sober. Ah, memories! :smile:

I was waiting for that ending to read he was cleaved cleanly in two...

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I boneheaded too, in 7th grade wood shop class. While cutting a curve on the band saw my dumba$$ decided I wanted to see my cut line better. I raised the guard, continued cutting till I hit a knot. The board kicked up, then continued forward and zap...blade all the way into the bone of middle finger.

Worst part about it I was sent back down to the hand tool brigade for punishment for a couple weeks.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2018
    I got off easy... there was someone else that failed to check the safety pins on an ejection seat. He only did it once. He left his legs in the cockpit and the rest splattered all over the inside of the hangar roof.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    tonyb wrote: »
    If I had a metal for every stupid thing I did, I'd look like a war hero going back to every war from the middle ages on.

What kind of metal would you get? I think we have some steel rebar in the shed if you're looking to start a collection.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    I got off easy... there was someone else that failed to check the safety pins on an ejection seat. He only did it once. He left his legs in the cockpit and the rest splattered all over the inside of the hangar roof.

No pic necessary!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I cut the right side of my left thumb off in 12th grade art class. We had those giant paper cutters, really sharp blades.
    Ran a Skill Saw across my left thigh while doing some form-work with a buddy. It was his saw, which he used to leave out in the rain in the back of his truck. The guard had rusted, so it didn't snap in place when the saw kicked. Luckily it wasn't 3 inches to the right, or I'd be a capon.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited June 2018
    I won't post any photos, but I will tell you a story of stupidity performed by my niece's fiancee (now husband) about a year ago.

At the time he was a slacker millennial, recent college grad, not really trying as hard as he should to find a job in career (aerospace engineering degree).

He was living with us along with my niece to save money before their wedding (separate bedrooms for each). They were paying a very minimal rent to us just to cover increased food and utilities mostly. We were trying to find chores he could help with to reduce rent. He did some touch up painting, but was sloppy with it so we didn't give him any more to do.

We had a couple of large trees fall that spring and we had a huge wood pile of 10"-18" rounds that needed splitting. I had already split about a face cord using my new Fiskars Super Splitting Axe. I was feeling good about it and I told my soon to be nephew-in-law that it was good exercise and how it was a good way to let out some steam too. I asked him if he ever split wood growing up. He said yeah.

I said well, if you feel like trying splitting sometime, the axe is out in the garage. I warned him that it was a very sharp axe and he needed to be careful. I also told him of the time as a kid that I cut my big toe with an axe because I was goofing off trying to chip small pieces off a block while wearing socks in the basement. Dumb (I was 11 or so). It was a minor cut, healed up with butterfly bandages...Anyway, BE CAREFUL, wear sturdy shoes/boots, gloves, pants.

A few days later, I was at work, he gives me a call just after lunch. He said, not to freak out, but he went and cut his foot with the axe. He was on his way to the ER! Yep. Turns out he had the accident on the very first swing! Apparently he never really split wood like he said. He also made the mistake of taking his first swing on a small 4" piece that he stacked on top of a 10" piece that was staged for splitting on the main 20" chopping log. So, it was too high and too small.

He was trying to downplay the injury, but he really split his whole foot between the big toe and the 2nd toe. The whole cutting edge of the axe (about 3" long) went clean through is converse tennis shoes and buried itself in his foot. I looked at the shoe and it was like someone took a box cutter razor and sliced it clean through all the laces and leather. Bloody footprints all the way back to the house.

It was a miracle that he did not break any bone, or cut any tendon. He needed about 25 stitches, some internal and several weeks before he was walking normal again. I swear, it was still bleeding through bandages after two or three weeks.

He still had a slight limp on his wedding day, but was able to dance. There were lumberjack jokes at the wedding. He didn't find them amusing.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited June 2018
    Not me but a mate who's a cabinet maker..on a table saw , he was promoted to supervisor as being on the tools wasn't his thing :p
  • nooshinjohn
    So much for lunch... thanks. :s

• verb
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Not me but a mate who's a cabinet maker..table saw he was promoted to supervisor as being on the tools wasn't his thing :p

Dude you gotta warn us! :smile: