Marvel/Disney Has a problem

So after the very poor sound quality of the 4K Thor Ragnarok disc I reluctantly purchased Black Panther for my nephews last weekend.
The lack of dynamics and Atmos effects is even worse on this disc. I think the last good disc they put out was Spiderman Homecoming.

I again had to check every setting to confirm the disc was the problem. Yup!

I usually watch a movie between -13 and -20. On this disc it was -6 and it sounded like all the sound was coming from the center with the occasional rear speaker and sub effects. Flat is the best way to describe the sound. it also never taxed the subs at any point. My decoder said Atmos but my ears said TV speakers.

So I went to BB today at lunch to talk with a friend who works there. He said I am not the first person to complain. He also said one of the other managers has called about the issue and his opinion is that Disney is doing the audio for their discs to compliment/improve the sound from single speaker sound systems.
I guess if your using a soundbar and not a 5.2.4 setup it won't be a big problem because most the sound from this disc is coming from the center. He could be right???

So after my 2 nephews gave me crap about the poor sound quality and started blaming the Polks. I threw in James Bond Spectre on Blu-ray and that shut them up immediately.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    dolbyd wrote: »
    So after my 2 nephews gave me crap about the poor sound quality and started blaming the Polks. I threw in James Bond Spectre on Blu-ray and that shut them up immediately.

Nothing like instilling a sense of awe to the younger crowd.

I wonder if the digital download is the same? Or perhaps it's directed at the 4k disks alone?

Anyone with a blue ray copy that can offer insight? (I have the 4k myself)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    They BD version seemed to be heavily concentrated on the front three. Been a while, but think I had to run it a little hot, about 5 or 6 on the dial more than usual.
    Bass was on the weak side also.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    So after the very poor sound quality of the 4K Thor Ragnarok disc I reluctantly purchased Black Panther for my nephews last weekend.
    The lack of dynamics and Atmos effects is even worse on this disc.

I usually watch a movie between -13 and -20. On this disc it was -6 and it sounded like all the sound was coming from the center with the occasional rear speaker and sub effects. Flat is the best way to describe the sound. it also never taxed the subs at any point.
    I agree 100%, I watched it Sunday. It was probably the worst I have experienced on Blu-ray. That is what I experience when watching a movie on Dish Network... flat, low volume, little bass.

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Hermitism wrote: »
    The lack of dynamics and Atmos effects is even worse on this disc.

I usually watch a movie between -13 and -20. On this disc it was -6 and it sounded like all the sound was coming from the center with the occasional rear speaker and sub effects. Flat is the best way to describe the sound. it also never taxed the subs at any point.
    I agree 100%, I watched it Sunday. It was probably the worst I have experienced on Blu-ray. That is what I experience when watching a movie on Dish Network... flat, low volume, little bass.

I agree on Dish being flat. On all my Marantz units I go into input setup and turn up the signal by 3 for that input
    Seems to fix the issue for me.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

• Hermitism
    I think Dish even sounds better than Black Panther on Blu-ray. That's sad.
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    From the reviews I've read, this is an issue with both this and Thor. They mention the same issues you all describe here.

Black Panther
    https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/59408/blackpanther4kdigital.html
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/black-panther-uhd

Thor
    https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/53207/thorragnarok4kultrahdbluray.html
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/thor-ragnarok-uhd

Based on the reviews I've read and the contributions here, I don't plan on picking these up.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Yes they have a problem Thor, was disappointing, sound wise and so was Black Panther sound wise. I recommend 12 Strong that gives the HT a good work out gunfire explosions a proper surround sound treat. plus it's more entertaining than the other 2 mentioned
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Do you think this is a problem because of a lack lf space on the disc? Or is Disney just not bothering with audio anymore? I think that they should have a normal version and then a 2 disc version for better audio quality. They could put audio on one disc, and video on the other disc. Then there would be special players that could align the time between the two discs, and then play them both at the same time.
    Maybe i shouldnt put this idea on the internet, it might be better to patent it and mass produce it. :wink:
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Do you think this is a problem because of a lack lf space on the disc? Or is Disney just not bothering with audio anymore? I think that they should have a normal version and then a 2 disc version for better audio quality. They could put audio on one disc, and video on the other disc. Then there would be special players that could align the time between the two discs, and then play them both at the same time.
    Maybe i shouldnt put this idea on the internet, it might be better to patent it and mass produce it. :wink:

They probably didn't mix it correctly. Trying to make the tv speaker/soundbar people happy. Trust me when you have a movie mixed for a true 5.1 or above a 2.1 seems off. Although I still run a 2.2 for my Home Theater it is mostly due to room constraints.

It doesn't matter if they win an oscar for the sound quality or mastering, people still gon' buy em.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • dolbyd
    I don’t think it’s a lack of space on the disc. Disney has changed something. Wonder Woman was great.
    I have plenty of 4K discs with great picture and sound.
    The last killer sounding disc was Justice League.
    Also the Dark Knight series on 4K is a must own.

• FestYboy
    My question is: why go through the extra effort to F up the mix when it's already set for theaters? Both Thor and Black Panther we're great in theaters.
  • firsttimer
    firsttimer Posts: 87
    Yes I watched this on the weekend 4K uhd and was a total let down. Sucks because your paying a premium for the 4K version and it is. It acceptable. Even my friend said where is the bass. Disappointing to say the least. Glad it was not just me that noticed it.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I haven't seen what's mentioned here at the theater or at home but this is a SERIOUS situation. Millions of discs that are defective or Disney sound engineers are asleep at the wheel and will cost Disney billions in movie disc sales in the future since none of us will WASTE 20 or 30 to see a Disney movie at home (that's a new release) unless we read other reviews to see if the discs continue their 1.1 format or Disney repairs and replaces Discs from this debacle.

ThankYou for bringing this to my attention!

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dolbyd
    Tony M wrote: »
    I haven't seen what's mentioned here at the theater or at home but this is a SERIOUS situation. Millions of discs that are defective or Disney sound engineers are asleep at the wheel and will cost Disney billions in movie disc sales in the future since none of us will WASTE 20 or 30 to see a Disney movie at home (that's a new release) unless we read other reviews to see if the discs continue their 1.1 format or Disney repairs and replaces Discs from this debacle.

ThankYou for bringing this to my attention!
    Sad for sure. I will wait for reviews on Disney discs going forward.
    I did send that disc home with the boys I don’t want it.

My wife says there’s a conspiracy to kill off physical media. Just put out a crappy product no one will buy them anymore. Sadly I wonder??

• Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Your wife mirrored my other thought I had but I didn't type it out.

She might have something here.VVVVV

Your wife says there’s a conspiracy to kill off physical media. Just put out a crappy product no one will buy them anymore. Sadly I wonder??
  • FestYboy
    That would suggest that the digital download is of better quality... I wonder...
  • mlistens03
    Whenever I get around to watching it I’ll tell you, because my parents aren’t even willing to even rent a disc anymore. “It’s so much easier with digital downloads” well yeah but it doesn’t sound or look as good!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Wow. I thought Black Panther was still in theaters. I did not know it has been released. Thanks.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Me too.

And I'm not going wireless for quite a while either. Maybe I'll just have to get to the theaters to see them when they come out. Another goal tactic they're aiming to achieve maybe. :#
  • BlueFox
    No way am I paying $60 for it.

4ece6lbl5p2j.png

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03
    Found the issue...
    dg7y4mcv67th.png
    :tongue:
  • Hermitism
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Wow. I thought Black Panther was still in theaters. I did not know it has been released. Thanks.
    Years ago movies would come out about six months after it's release at theaters. Nowadays, it seems to be three to three and a half months after. Black Panther and the newest Star Wars movies were all still making some money at theaters when they were released for rent/purchase.

I like to check out box office totals on Sundays. I use this site:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

• dolbyd
    No way am I paying $60 for it.

4ece6lbl5p2j.png

Damn thats crazy!
    I paid $28 at BB.
    Still was waste of money.

• Tony M
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Years ago movies would come out about six months after it's release at theaters. Nowadays, it seems to be three to three and a half months after. Black Panther and the newest Star Wars movies were all still making some money at theaters when they were released for rent/purchase.

I like to check out box office totals on Sundays. I use this site:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

Why do you check out BO totals?
  • Hermitism
    I'm always curious to see if a movie bombs or is successful. I also like to read the list of daily arrests in the local newspaper. I'm an odd duck.

Here is were I go to find out when a movie is being release on Blu-ray.
    https://videoeta.com/search?datetype=videoreleases&end_date=05/27/2018&keywords=*&ord_by=box_office&ord_sort=desc&search_type=daterange&start_date=05/21/2018
  • dolbyd
    FestYboy wrote: »
    That would suggest that the digital download is of better quality... I wonder...

So you got me thinking on this.

I had downloaded the digital copy that came with my Disc to my iTunes account. I just fired up my 4K Apple TV and watched the first 20 Minutes.
    I got the Same results as the disc. Flat and no dynamics.
    Sad!

• cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    Bob Iger is using a sound bar at home..

He's on the new cutting edge of sound..
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Disney was late to the game with 4K content and it looks like it’ll take them a while to get it right-sound-wise.
    As they say “Just because you’re bigger it doesn’t mean you’re better”.
  • BlueFox
    cvc wrote: »
    Bob Iger is using a sound bar at home..

I added a Samsung sound bar to my new Sony 65" 900F, and love it. Sounds great. I can put the TV on one of the music channels and use it for background music.

Three 20 amp circuits.