1975 Hurst/Olds... opinions sought

Options
Looking at this car over on EBay...

o1e9sko99y49.jpeg
6qj3alh0csp1.jpeg

Up for sale is my Hurst Olds. This car could easily be a daily driver, as it runs and handles very well. This car gets thumbs up everywhere we take her. Again, you will feel very comfortable driving this car as it is very mechanically sound. This olds is really a W25 with the 350 engine, but was badget a W30 after a repaint. The T-tops and roof gaskets are still in very good condition, no cracks in the glass, and they still seal very well. Power windows work well. The trans shifts smooth as glass. There are 5 matching tires that are in very good condition. Lights and signals work as they should. Paint is water spotted, so a good detail job would be in order. Swivel seats work well, but all seats need new covers, carpet is tired but usable. Headliner is original, has been cleaned, but is 43 years old and showing its age. Most interior plastics are pretty decent, as I have done my best to replace the sunbaked originals. Not much available out there for these cars. Solid trunk floor. Solid cabin floors except under rear seat, seat belts. For some reason, under the retractors the floor mounts for rust, but everything else is very solid. Small repairs were made to lower corner of rear quarters done very well, not just filled with bondo. This car is very worthy of being taken to the next level or just to drive and joy as is. Again, a nice daily driver. The A/C is all still present and I believe a new belt and a recharge she'll blow cold. Radio needs new rear speakers

He is looking at 5k or thereabouts for it.... thoughts anyone?
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Love it! Looks real solid. Sure a facsimile hurst, but not an uncommon repaint scheme. Good cruiser!

The rust at the seat belts may be a telltale that there could be elsewhere. If you replace the carpet, you’ll be able to inspect the floor.

The T-tops leaked notoriously. Not an issue for you Californians. Except when washing the car!

Swivel seats - cool!

That car would fit real nice here in Michigan whole cruising Woodward avenue!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    It’s a real deal Hurst. Just because it’s low on horsepower does not take that away from it. They were the first GM to use the glass panel T-Tops.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Put some hydraulics on it, and bounce up and down the highway. Don’t forget the boom boom stereo. Enjoy. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Come out to Boys Republic on Saturday and see if anything else is available that you might want before pulling the trigger.
    I can't make it this year but am told it's the biggest show ever.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Didn't you have a project car already?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I had a couple of Grand Prix vehicles of similar year / model. Notorious for rust on th bottom of the rear quarter panels and bottom of the doors.

Those cars rode very well. Didn't "Handle" very well (It's a boat after all). Low on horsepower. Not very good gas mileage. Catalytic converters means emissions inspections. 1969 or 1970 models will have a similar body style and a lot more power.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I like it! A little work to get her into tip top shape, but it will be worth it, I’m sure.
    There are 5 matching tires

:open_mouth: 5 tires? Where is the fifth one? :lol::tongue::wink:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    5k, not too bad. I local guy wanted 3k for a 1973 Nova that needed
    everything (solid car though, no rust thru). You could do a lot to
    improve performance without ruining the vintage vibe.
    But this isn't really the car for that.
    Here in Memphis they'd dump 3k into big rims and drive it.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Be sure to check under the vinyl top portion, 50/50 chance the roof and pillars have rotted away. I would pass on that car. Spend good money and still don't have anything.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    I bought a 1979 white on gold Hurst Olds W-30 new - sticker was $9995 and I thought what am I doing paying so much for a car. Anyway, I enjoyed it but the damn emissions on it left a 350 cid, HO motor with a Holley 4 barrel and dual exhaust outputting only 175HP, which, at the time, has huge. The gated shifter witht he 400 hydramatic tranny was slick. Bought if rom Henry Butts Olds in Dallas (The same Henry Butts as H-E-B grocery store fame).
    [
  • verb
    Options
    It’s a real deal Hurst. Just because it’s low on horsepower does not take that away from it. They were the first GM to use the glass panel T-Tops.

Cool! Thanks for the clarification. 5k sounds like a deal. For 5k in Michigan you wouldn’t find much more than a rust bucket!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Those cars rode very well. Didn't "Handle" very well (It's a boat after all). Low on horsepower. Not very good gas mileage. Catalytic converters means emissions inspections. 1969 or 1970 models will have a similar body style and a lot more power.
    They are completely different body styles, and in California, the car does not need to be inspected any longer for smog, so the first thing to do is cut the cat, remove the smog pump and let it breath again. that should be good enough for 30 ponies right there.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I did Jesse, but Nooshin hated it, so it's gone.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    My first car was a '76 Cutlass with those T-tops. They did leak...more than a bit. Mine wasn't a Supreme, but my dad (body guy) painted it with the Hurst black/silver/red scheme, so it looked the part. We actually stripped the interior as well, and replaced it with a Brougham interior...velour B) Boy, if that thing could talk...particularly the back seat <3

Check for oil leaks and/or the tell-tale blue smoke from the exhaust, which would indicate bad rings. I am also leery of the A/C comment, "The A/C is all still present and I believe a new belt and a recharge she'll blow cold." Hmmm...believe/hope/fingers-crossed?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm not a fan of mid 70's cars.... 69, 70 71
    Post edited by Mikey081057 on
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I am also leery of the A/C comment, "The A/C is all still present and I believe a new belt and a recharge she'll blow cold."

Me too. The compressor was redone for R134, but everything else is original. my guess is at 43 years old, the lines need to be replaced at the very least.

• motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    Options
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I'm not a fan of mid 70's cars.... 69, 70 71

May I ask you to reconsider?

oflmoifsi725.jpg
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    TTops and sunroofs on American cars leaked in the 70's & 80's... Used to call them BIRD BATHS

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Come on man... don't hide behind an asterisk.

• verb
    Options
    Every vintage car is a project. They all have idiosyncrasies, even when completed. That's part of the fun. They have character, and style! Cars nowadays are so optimized, with few exceptions, they look generic.

Tis the season here in Michigan. Every weekend there is a car show, cruise event, etc.

I'm getting excited! Time to pull the cover off the 59 and take momma out for an ice cream! :smile:
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Come on man... don't hide behind an asterisk.

That was me telling Mikey wrong thread....lol.

But, while I have your attention, make sure that thing is not a rust bucket. That body style is prone to all kinds of rust issues, even cars out west.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    TTops and sunroofs on American cars leaked in the 70's & 80's... Used to call them BIRD BATHS
    Especially bad during a summer thunderstorm, and uncomfortable cabin conditions when the temp is 90+ degrees outside. However, it does create a good growing environment...like a little greenhouse. I once had something sprout in my floorboard. Funny-looking little seedling with five leaves :# I can't imagine how that happened.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Any old car costs a lot in blood. Sweat. And tears. And money. Make sure it is model you really love? Or you will get your feeling hurt. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options

Ah, I see. Well John I'll be honest, that Olds is not a pretty car either.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options

Ah, I see. Well John I'll be honest, that Olds is not a pretty car either.

This coming from a guy who bought his first car after is was carved out of a quarry...

It is one of the better looking cars to come out of the 70's, IMHO, and has potential to be a fun car to drive, with the right upgrades and mods.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Just throw all the the motor away and buy a crate motor. Get a new rear end and strip it down the bare metal and start over complete frame off restoration and get a new transmission....
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    I am not sure a car of that vintage could ever recover all of the cost of all of that work no?

It's not a '65 GTO

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    nor is it a 1970 plum crazy purple Road Runner with a 440 6 pack.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I say go to a Mecum Auto auction and buy something both of you like and that somebody else has done all the work. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.